So......where is Enrique?

Zero

They mentioned during the commentary that Enrique was "one of several Allardyce signings out there" praising the fat man for it.

But that's BS the idiot refused to play him all the way until he got the nudge. Fucking travesty.

I think he is actually quite clever attacking but has a little too much confidence in his ability at times. Will get better.

Certainly our best left back since..... erm..... well I loved Bernard in his prime for us but he was quite dodgy at times (defending).

Guest Knightrider

Average, not a KK type full-back.

I take it all back, he's impressed me more than anyone of late. I was very wrong to call him average, he has the potential to be very good indeed.

I take it all back, he's impressed me more than anyone of late. I was very wrong to call him average, he has the potential to be very good indeed.

Good man. I felt that comment was a bit harsh when I first saw it and after the last few games I was wondering if you and others of similar opinion had changed your minds. No reason why he can't go on and get better and better under KK.

Thought it was his best game yet today.Used the ball alot better today,i.e didnt boot it outta play for no reason!He defo has the potential to become a very good left back for us!Good job Sam the fat man didnt pick him in the Stadium Of Shite incase he couldnt handle it! :idiot2:

By the way did he pick up a knock or did Keegan just wanted to give Edgar a run out?

Guest Stephen927

Looking quality, still can't fathom why N'Zogbia played all those games at full back while Enrique couldn't even get on the bench.  :idiot2:

I thought he gave the ball away too much today (like many of our players, especially in the second half)) but again his defending is absolutely impeccable. Never seems to have to chase the winger because his positioning is so good. If he can distribute the ball as well as Beye does (and he's plenty of time to improve), he'll be an outstanding full back.

Thought it was his best game yet today.Used the ball alot better today,i.e didnt boot it outta play for no reason!He defo has the potential to become a very good left back for us!Good job Sam the fat man didnt pick him in the Stadium Of Shite incase he couldnt handle it! :idiot2:

By the way did he pick up a knock or did Keegan just wanted to give Edgar a run out?

The thing is maybe it was right not to throw him in straight away because if he had made a big mistake then who knows? His confidence might have taken a big knock and he would never have gone on to the season he has. He's one of the most complete left backs I've seen in a while though and it's fucking amazing that he's playing for us.

Guest Knightrider

Good man. I felt that comment was a bit harsh when I first saw it and after the last few games I was wondering if you and others of similar opinion had changed your minds. No reason why he can't go on and get better and better under KK.

I did concede it was probably harsh, and to be fair we never really saw much of him in an attacking sense and while he obviously displayed some qualities, they were a bit "meh" to my eye but since KK started selecting him and keeping faith with him, like the team he's just grown in strength and we are seeing a different player who oozes confidence on the ball and at times class with the ball, he's also very strong, has some pace and is starting to get forward much more which was always an area of his game I wasn't too sure about. I'm more than happy to retract what I originally said about him and I hope others will force me to eat more humble pie.

Guest Knightrider

Doesn't know what to do when in possession, imo.

I disagree, he played countless one-twos today, found his man or did something effective when on the ball. Not all the time of course but in the main. He's quite ambitious in possession which can bite him on the arse I know as it did a few times today with some sloppy passing, but I'm happy to see our players try to play football and to think differently. I hate seeing someone just hoof the ball or shirk some responsibility when on it.

Not enough movement in front of him (or in front of the midfield, tbf) but he did what he's paid to do (defend) and did it very well today. To be honest, I'm not that bothered about his attacking game because KK will be bringing in players in the summer whose job will be to score/assist, so as long as Enrique excels defensively, he'll be worth the £6m Allardyce paid for him.

I'll elaborate on my original point now I've had chance to read the other threads.

I quite like Enrique and think he could go on to be a very good player, he doesn't get up and down very well and you can see that isn't a part of his game, he does however keep possession really well and hardly gives it away, I also haven't seen him have a real nightmare against a winger and if I had to liken him to someone then I'd say he reminds me of a young Gabriel Heinze (I might live to regret that one :lol:)

His biggest problem though is he invites pressure on himself too much by trying to play his way out of trouble all of the time, there were a few examples today when he's got himself trapped in the corner because he didn't clear his lines when he had the chance, it's little things like this that he needs to tidy up in his game and if he manages to do that then he can be a top player for us over the next decade.

Guest Knightrider

I think with Enrique, he perhaps underestimates/overestimates the time and space thing in our game at times which I'm hoping he will resolve with more experience of the Premier League. I don't think it's a biggy though.

im glad hes doing well now. i wanted him to succeed here as ive always seemed to rated him since he joined. earlier in the season when he wasnt playing or was playing badly and people were on his back all the time i thought he would of being gone by january on loan then shipped out in the summer. now hes one of our best players (form wise) imo and hpefully he has forced himself to be our number one left back for many years to come

As poor as some of our performances were under Allardyce, it seems that the two fullbacks he brought in were great business.

Enrique is getting better and better, every week. He looked very strong today and he was not afraid to try things which may not have paid off. I do feel his passing must get better if he is to take his game up a level, but what a player we have for the future.

Could we convert him into a ball playing centre half?

A CC CH maybe hes not that good in the air and contains his attacker instead of cutting him off i dont think he would be good there. However he is class on the side !!!!

A CC CH maybe hes not that good in the air and contains his attacker instead of cutting him off i dont think he would be good there. However he is class on the side !!!!

A good left back is much rarer than a good centre half. We have no incentive to try to convert him.

A good left back is much rarer than a good centre half. We have no incentive to try to convert him.

CLASS IS HARD TO FIND ANYWHERE

I think he is actually quite clever attacking but has a little too much confidence in his ability at times. Will get better.

Certainly our best left back since..... erm..... well I loved Bernard in his prime for us but he was quite dodgy at times (defending).

Enrique isn't the greatest defender in the world either. He's not BAD, by any means, but he's better on the attack.