With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not going to be picky about it or anything.

In general, Owen was giving sub-par performances at a time when we were relying on him in-particular... given the other strikers' injury/absence/ineptness.

What about Shearer 97/98? Like Owen, had just came back from main injuries, like Owen, was playing in a sh*t Newcastle side, and scored 2 league goals in about 18-20 games. Don't remember Shearer getting the same criticism.

Good point. Shearer scored about 30 the year after.

And although I don't think he'll get that many (but he never has even at his peak), I'd predict Owen to get himself 20 in a Keegan team.

I agree he will almost certainly get you 20 goals a season and to guarantee that nowadays you'd need to be spending wacky Drogba or Eto type money, so he may not be such bad value after all.

The option would be to take a gamble, perhaps like our neighbours have in spending £12M on Jones and Chopra, and see how many goals that would buy you..............

In general, Owen was giving sub-par performances at a time when we were relying on him in-particular... given the other strikers' injury/absence/ineptness.

What about Shearer 97/98? Like Owen, had just came back from main injuries, like Owen, was playing in a sh*t Newcastle side, and scored 2 league goals in about 18-20 games. Don't remember Shearer getting the same criticism.

And although I don't think he'll get that many (but he never has even at his peak), I'd predict Owen to get himself 20 in a Keegan team.

I agree he will almost certainly get you 20 goals a season and to guarantee that nowadays you'd need to be spending wacky Drogba or Eto type money, so he may not be such bad value after all.

The option would be to take a gamble, perhaps like our neighbours have in spending £12M on Jones and Chopra, and see how many goals that would buy you..............

He isn't almost certain to get you 20 goals at all and to suggest we'd have to spend on a Drogba or Eto'o type signing to replace him is living in a dreamland.

A few good games against shite teams and typical of people on here they go way over the top.

I'm still undecided. He's looked better in the last two games but I reckon we should see what he does between now and the end of the season before making a decision.

If we're going to continue with this formation i'd rather we got rid and brought in Walcott to replace him.

you need to keep owen to get better players to commit to the club imo

That's a very good point. Like him or not, Michael Owen is still the jewel in the NUFC crown. He's the highest-profile player we have, our record transfer (:hmm:), and still a huge draw.

He isn't almost certain to get you 20 goals at all and to suggest we'd have to spend on a Drogba or Eto'o type signing to replace him is living in a dreamland.

A few good games against s**** teams and typical of people on here they go way over the top.

First of all I'm neither typical of people on here, we all have our own minds, nor living in a dreamland.

I don't know, nor for that matter particularly care if you actually watch Michael Owen, but in my opinion he is a cut above anything else at Newcastle, and that is based more on his special ability rather than anyone else's shortcomings.

If you had watched him you'd have noticed how much of a team player he is, how well he uses the ball and his uncanny knack of getting in the right place before a defender against all teams.

His goal ratio at Newcastle would indicate that injury free he IS ALMOST CERTAIN to get 20 goals in a season.

And by the way, don't know how many matches you attend but trust me there are no "s**** teams" in today's Premiership.

A few good games against s**** teams and typical of people on here they go way over the top.

First of all I'm neither typical of people on here, we all have our own minds, nor living in a dreamland.

I don't know, nor for that matter particularly care if you actually watch Michael Owen, but in my opinion he is a cut above anything else at Newcastle, and that is based more on his special ability rather than anyone else's shortcomings.

If you had watched him you'd have noticed how much of a team player he is, how well he uses the ball and his uncanny knack of getting in the right place before a defender against all teams.

His goal ratio at Newcastle would indicate that injury free he IS ALMOST CERTAIN to get 20 goals in a season.

And by the way, don't know how many matches you attend but trust me there are no "s**** teams" in today's Premiership.

totally agree (with the exception of the almost certain bit, but thats nit-picking) and for what its worth i've been talking about owen's contribution to the team as a whole, dropping deep, keeping posession, for fucking ages

Guest rebel_yell12

Injury free? No doubt -- Keep him.  Not going to get any other of his quality, on any wages, to come to a club that's finished below 10th two seasons running.

His wages aren't my concern.  Ticket prices aren't going up, so clearly fans are not paying for his wages -- Ashley is, and if that's how he wants to spend his money, I won't say nay.  My concern is his quality and his dependability.  The first is undeniable, that second bit though...if he lasts out the rest of this season without incident or injury I'd be comfortable concluding that the major injuries are behind him and thus Newcastle should re-sign him.  The only problem with that theory of course is that there may be a few other clubs, like Everton and ManCity, that are watching him for just the same evidence that the worst of his injuries are behind him. 

Apparently his buy-out clause has expired entirely, but I think Newcastle would be hard pressed to get more than 8 mil for him with only one season left on his contract.  Would "recouping" that amout be worth the loss of the goals, and the likelihood that Owen would return to his old "hat-trick against Newcastle" ways?  If Keegan wants to keep him, I think it'd be best if Owen is retained at NUFC. 

Would feelings change if Owen's performances remain high, and his goals drag Newcastle comfortably away from relegation?  Martins seems to have earned a lot of people's affection due to the perception that he kept Newcastle up last year.  If Owen does as much this year, will he command the same sentiment?  Give the lad until the end of the season, then make the decision.

There should be an option for renew on a similar deal. He'll not take a lower deal as he'd get better elsewhere, if we let his contract run out he'll go. We should try and extend it for similar money, this would give us the ability to attract a transfer fee should he then go & we wouldn't be over rewarding for the return we've had from his performances so far.

We really should not simply allow his contract to run out; if he chooses to do so then so be it.

He impressed me against Fulham - never seen him work harder for the club & it was good to see.

I have relations who know a Toon legend (I know but it is true & I'd rather not say names - no not Shearer) who reckons Owen is about that only player in the squad who is putting it in day in day out & that the rest are mostly absolute shite. Might sound obvious but hopefully we will see action in the summer.

A few good games against shite teams and typical of people on here they go way over the top.

Exactly.  We're talking about a player who hasn't ever scored 20 league goals in a season, and isn't the same player that he was when he might have.

There should be an option for renew on a similar deal. He'll not take a lower deal as he'd get better elsewhere, if we let his contract run out he'll go. We should try and extend it for similar money, this would give us the ability to attract a transfer fee should he then go & we wouldn't be over rewarding for the return we've had from his performances so far.

We really should not simply allow his contract to run out; if he chooses to do so then so be it.

He impressed me against Fulham - never seen him work harder for the club & it was good to see.

I have relations who know a Toon legend (I know but it is true & I'd rather not say names - no not Shearer) who reckons Owen is about that only player in the squad who is putting it in day in day out & that the rest are mostly absolute s****. Might sound obvious but hopefully we will see action in the summer.

So you have relations who know Beardsley then.

Exactly.  We're talking about a player who hasn't ever scored 20 league goals in a season, and isn't the same player that he was when he might have.

You make that sound like it's a bad thing. In 3 seasons he scored 19 (so exactly a 1 every 2), and in others has 15+.

Guest shaun11177

I think Ashley will pay for the transfer fees next season but the wages will have  to be self-financing and come out of the actual income of the club. There is no way when the income of the club is 80m will Ashley sanction 100m in wages So if KK wants to keep Owen then fine-the 100000 comes out of the wages budget.

The best way forward is an incentive based contract-60000 a week basic-you score 15 league goals you get another 1m-we qualify for Uefa Cup-you get another 1m.

I think Ashley will pay for the transfer fees next season but the wages will have  to be self-financing and come out of the actual income of the club. There is no way when the income of the club is 80m will Ashley sanction 100m in wages So if KK wants to keep Owen then fine-the 100000 comes out of the wages budget.

The best way forward is an incentive based contract-60000 a week basic-you score 15 league goals you get another 1m-we qualify for Uefa Cup-you get another 1m.

A non champions league club paying a player over 100k a week is pure lunacy IMO. To me that should be a massive obstacle as he's not worth anywhere near that.

But why should an experienced international player agree to a deal like that?