Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

St Etienne starlet Bafetimbi Gomis has revealed he would rather move to Italy than the Premier League.

The 22-year-old striker, labelled by some the new Didier Drogba, has really found his goal-scoring touch in the last two seasons with double figures on each occasion.

Newcastle have been strongly linked along with Bolton, whilst Marseille chairman Pape Diouf has stated his admiration for the young Frenchman.

In an interview with L'Equipe, Gomis stated he was attracted by a possible move to England - but revealed Serie A would be his preference.

"It is better to go to Italy playing than to England in a team at the bottom of the league," he said

"Anyway, I still have a lot of things to learn."

Next season

Gomis admits that he is very happy at St Etienne, particularly with coach Laurent Roussey - but he does not know whether he will be staying put or not.

"I am very happy to play for St Etienne, but I don't know if I will still be there next season," he continued.

"The coach did his best for me to stay last summer, and he has improved me a lot.

"I am very happy with him at the helm. His stay at the club will be an essential factor for my future."

Meanwhile, Senegal are ready to compete with France to cap Gomis - who is open to the idea of playing international football for either country.

"I don't have to choose between the French or Senegalese teams, as I have not been called yet," he insisted.

"The French team? It would be pretentious to ask for it, but I am not adverse to the French team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3537575,00.html

Take that Bolton!

St Etienne starlet Bafetimbi Gomis has revealed he would rather move to Italy than the Premier League.

The 22-year-old striker, labelled by some the new Didier Drogba, has really found his goal-scoring touch in the last two seasons with double figures on each occasion.

Newcastle have been strongly linked along with Bolton, whilst Marseille chairman Pape Diouf has stated his admiration for the young Frenchman.

In an interview with L'Equipe, Gomis stated he was attracted by a possible move to England - but revealed Serie A would be his preference.

"It is better to go to Italy playing than to England in a team at the bottom of the league," he said

Next season

Gomis admits that he is very happy at St Etienne, particularly with coach Laurent Roussey - but he does not know whether he will be staying put or not.

"I am very happy to play for St Etienne, but I don't know if I will still be there next season," he continued.

"The coach did his best for me to stay last summer, and he has improved me a lot.

"I am very happy with him at the helm. His stay at the club will be an essential factor for my future."

Meanwhile, Senegal are ready to compete with France to cap Gomis - who is open to the idea of playing international football for either country.

"I don't have to choose between the French or Senegalese teams, as I have not been called yet," he insisted.

"The French team? It would be pretentious to ask for it, but I am not adverse to the French team."

Take that Bolton!

Take that NUFC!

He will have to do more than score goals in the french league to convince me he's a worth while signing. Drogba made it but that doesn't mean this lad will. If we start talking big money (10m+), he isn't a worthwhile risk IMO.

Would be nice if we could get him, I've never seen him play, but sounds like someone we should be after. Target-man, young and highly rated by those that knows him.

Next season

Take that Bolton!

Take that NUFC!

Yes, because our league has 12 places.

Guest Heneage

I'm a firm believer in "you get you're chance with this club" if that's his feeling go for it, he's hardly Lionel Messi, he's a decent French striker.

Newcastle have had a £9m bid rejected by St Etienne for striker Bafetimbi Gomis and the French club are holding out for £17m. (The People)

17 million.  mackems.gif Hah, that's probably more than somebody will end up paying for Drogba himself this summer.

Don`t know why Terry Mac was part of the `delegation`.....to crack the jokes on the plane journey there?

-----------------------

Keegan & Co head for France as Newcastle look to bring in striker Gomis

A three-man delegation from Newcastle United watched St Etienne's highly-rated striker Bafetimbi Gomis in action on Saturday night.

Manager Kevin Keegan, along with assistant Terry McDermott and director of football Dennis Wise were flown into Paris in order to give the forward the once-over during PSG's relegation struggle against their UEFA Cup-chasing visitors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=566125&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Guest icemanblue

Love the way these numbers are thrown around on here. What are you even using to calculate the price of a player who you've seen a few videos of on youtube?!

Fair enough suggesting players, but to say 'x' will cost 'y' quid is just plain stupid. Perhaps i'm the only one annoyed by it.

Don`t know why Terry Mac was part of the `delegation`.....to crack the jokes on the plane journey there?

-----------------------

A three-man delegation from Newcastle United watched St Etienne's highly-rated striker Bafetimbi Gomis in action on Saturday night.

Manager Kevin Keegan, along with assistant Terry McDermott and director of football Dennis Wise were flown into Paris in order to give the forward the once-over during PSG's relegation struggle against their UEFA Cup-chasing visitors.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=566125&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Because he's Assistant Manager and knows a lot about football having been in the game all his life?

Can't understand why people knock him so much.

-----------------------

Because he's Assistant Manager and knows a lot about football having been in the game all his life?

So, you rate him?

-----------------------

Because a lot of people are incapable of thinking for themselves and just adopt the opinions of others, opinions most likely formed with no criteria other than emotion and imagination.

-----------------------

So, you rate him?

personally i trust kevin keegan, and he rates him

-----------------------

So, you rate him?

What are you rating him on? His coaching skills? You've been coached by him so you know?

-----------------------

So, you rate him?

What are you rating him on? His coaching skills? You've been coached by him so you know?

Works both ways. How do people know he is shit?

What we do know, is that he knows more about football and playing for Newcastle United than any on here having certainly been one ofour best players in the 80s.

And since then, he has worked for six of our last eight managerial appointments.

Guest alex

To be honest, and maybe this is a bit hypocritical because I like KK and trust him etc. but I think Terry Mac serves a useful role under him which he perhaps hasn't done under previous managers where he at least seemed to be a hanger on. He might not be a coach or anything but Keegan seems to use him as a sounding board and so on and values his opinion.

To be honest, and maybe this is a bit hypocritical because I like KK and trust him etc. but I think Terry Mac serves a useful role under him which he perhaps hasn't done under previous managers where he at least seemed to be a hanger on. He might not be a coach or anything but Keegan seems to use him as a sounding board and so on and values his opinion.

Couldn't he do that over the phone, MSN, etc? ;)

Couldn't he do that over the phone, MSN, etc? ;)

Not really.