Newcastle win Northumberland Senior Cup. Woohoo!

Skirge

I'm normally very cautious about plugging in youngsters into the first team squad, but Carroll's exploits with the reserves as of late have been nothing short of ridiculous. I don't see what more he can do to prove that he at least merits a look in, especially considering that our established strikers are underpreforming at the moment.

I think it just comes down to the fact that Keegan isn't prepared to slot in a 19-year old when we're smack dab in the middle of a relegation battle, and I suppose I can agree with that sentiment to some degree. I just wish we were comfortably mid-table right about now so Carroll could get a decent run of games.

I don´t see any problem to throw in a young guy. I have seen it thousands of times and still sees it. it is just bullshit.

I don't completely disagree with you, I'm just saying that neither you nor I is Kevin Keegan and obviously he has some reservations about throwing Carroll in.

I'm normally very cautious about plugging in youngsters into the first team squad, but Carroll's exploits with the reserves as of late have been nothing short of ridiculous. I don't see what more he can do to prove that he at least merits a look in, especially considering that our established strikers are underpreforming at the moment.

I think it just comes down to the fact that Keegan isn't prepared to slot in a 19-year old when we're smack dab in the middle of a relegation battle, and I suppose I can agree with that sentiment to some degree. I just wish we were comfortably mid-table right about now so Carroll could get a decent run of games.

I don´t see any problem to throw in a young guy. I have seen it thousands of times and still sees it. it is just bullshit.

I don't completely disagree with you, I'm just saying that neither you nor I is Kevin Keegan and obviously he has some reservations about throwing Carroll in.

it's easy,you throw in the young kid if you think he's capable.

(what would you know anyway at that distance eh oldtype?)

(you've probably seen about 30mins less of him than i have)

it's easy,you throw in the young kid if you think he's capable.

(what would you know anyway at that distance eh oldtype?)

(you've probably seen about 30mins less of him than i have)

Lies! I make the $1000+ trip to Newcastle for every reserve game because I'm that much of a soopafan.  :angry:

(tongue firmly in cheek.)

But has it not become a beefed up junior league rather than a step to the first team.

Keegan mustn't think so or he probably wouldn't have turned up tonight.

Managers watch all levels at there club. My point was a general one about reserve football. I dont know why I am explaining this as your old enough to remember when the reserve team was mix of players who didn't play at the weekend, first teamers getting fitness after a long lay off & young pro's making there way up the ladder. It seems now them players who dont play at the weekend dont or very rarely play reseve football. It is one of the reasons the gulf from reserves football to first team is so much bigger because  the young pros very rarely play against a team that has more than one if at all experienced player at reserve level now.

Managers watch all levels at there club. My point was a general one about reserve football. I dont why I am explaining this as your old enough to remember when the reserve team was mix of players who didn't play at the weekend, first teamers getting fitness after a long lay off & young pro's making there way up the ladder. It seems now them players who dont play at the weekend dont or very rarely play reseve football. It is one of the reasons the gulf from reserves football to first team is so much bigger because  the young pros very rarely play against a team that has more than one if at all experienced player at reserve level now.

My guess is that he was looking for squad fillers for the weekend.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be able to make an educated guess as to how the average Premiership reserve side would compare to the average Championship side?

Carroll couldn't get a game for Preston but he looks like he's completely ripping apart the reserve league.

In most games at reserve level it is mainly kids against kids aka as the best Acadmeny players. So a big fucker like Carroll is going to dominate but put him against blokes who have a bit nouse, bulk & are bigger than him & he struggled.

Not usually Academy players at Spurs, more often than not the youngsters who left the Academy last summer but haven't yet broken into the first team squad.  Spurs played top of the table Villa tonight and played really well for a change to win 3-0.  Pity Brummie isn't about now! Out of interest the teams were:

Spurs: Button; Gunter, Archibald-Henville, Rocha, Martin; Parrett (Fraser-Allen, 50), Martin, Rose, Taarabt; Pekhart, Dawkins (Kasim, 82)

Unused subs: Jansson, C Butcher, Cox

Aston Villa: Sorensen; Hogg (Forrester, 66), Lichaj, Lund, Earls; Routledge, Salifou, D Bellon, Y Bellon (Albrighton, 59); Clancy (Bradley, 73), Berger

Unused sub: Bevan

May have overplayed the Acadmeny kid line slightly but the reseve teams nowadays are a lot younger to what these they used to be.

Very true.  With established average players costing millions, it makes a lot of sense to try to bring the kids on, if they make the grade all well and good, if they don't then they're a saleable asset (hopefully) to a Championship side or suchlike.

But has it not become a beefed up junior league rather than a step to the first team.

It depends on the club's philosophy on the youngsters and whether the manager is prepared to give them a go, but I do accept your point as the majority of clubs won't give their kids the opportunity to show what they can do in the first team.  I suppose I get a bit of a distorted picture with Spurs' division, which also include Villa, West Ham and Arsenal, all of which, along with Spurs, do try to bring youngsters through.  Ramos and Poyet were there tonight and apparently have seen enough of Danny Rose to be probably adding him to some squads this season with a view to making him a regular squad member next season.    He has played well whenever I've seen him, tonight everything Spurs did went through Rose and Taarabt, looked very impressive, as did 16 year old Dean Parrett until he got a knock and was substituted.

Ironically, tonight there were more experienced players on the pitch than I've seen in a long time.  Spurs had Rocha (I won't count Gunter) and Villa had Sorensen, Routledge and Berger, that doesn't happen too often.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be able to make an educated guess as to how the average Premiership reserve side would compare to the average Championship side?

Carroll couldn't get a game for Preston but he looks like he's completely ripping apart the reserve league.

In most games at reserve level it is mainly kids against kids aka as the best Acadmeny players. So a big fucker like Carroll is going to dominate but put him against blokes who have a bit nouse, bulk & are bigger than him & he struggled.

Not usually Academy players at Spurs, more often than not the youngsters who left the Academy last summer but haven't yet broken into the first team squad.  Spurs played top of the table Villa tonight and played really well for a change to win 3-0.  Pity Brummie isn't about now! Out of interest the teams were:

Spurs: Button; Gunter, Archibald-Henville, Rocha, Martin; Parrett (Fraser-Allen, 50), Martin, Rose, Taarabt; Pekhart, Dawkins (Kasim, 82)

Aston Villa: Sorensen; Hogg (Forrester, 66), Lichaj, Lund, Earls; Routledge, Salifou, D Bellon, Y Bellon (Albrighton, 59); Clancy (Bradley, 73), Berger

May have overplayed the Acadmeny kid line slightly but the reseve teams nowadays are a lot younger to what these they used to be.

Very true.  With established average players costing millions, it makes a lot of sense to try to bring the kids on, if they make the grade all well and good, if they don't then they're a saleable asset (hopefully) to a Championship side or suchlike.

It depends on the club's philosophy on the youngsters and whether the manager is prepared to give them a go, but I do accept your point as the majority of clubs won't give their kids the opportunity to show what they can do in the first team.  I suppose I get a bit of a distorted picture with Spurs' division, which also include Villa, West Ham and Arsenal, all of which, along with Spurs, do try to bring youngsters through.  Ramos and Poyet were there tonight and apparently have seen enough of Danny Rose to be probably adding him to some squads this season with a view to making him a regular squad member next season.    He has played well whenever I've seen him, tonight everything Spurs did went through Rose and Taarabt, looked very impressive, as did 16 year old Dean Parrett until he got a knock and was substituted.

Ironically, tonight there were more experienced players on the pitch than I've seen in a long time.  Spurs had Rocha (I won't count Gunter) and Villa had Sorensen, Routledge and Berger, that doesn't happen too often.

which clubs have a "philosophy"  of bringing youngsters through ? every manager of any team will give players the chance if they think the player is worth it.

Carroll did really good against Manchester United at SJP, he is really impressing in the reserves and seems far better than to play with a bunch of youngsters/unwanted players, i think with our current situation we really need someone like him in the first team.

His loan spell at Preston has really had an effect it seems.

Its made him determined not to be a Championship player and to take his chance (if he's ever given it) with the club he loves.

Don't know why he bothers though, after doing the hard part and breaking through he'll be either thrown to the side by us or the fan will drive him out.

His loan spell at Preston has really had an effect it seems.

Its made him determined not to be a Championship player and to take his chance (if he's ever given it) with the club he loves.

Don't know why he bothers though, after doing the hard part and breaking through he'll be either thrown to the side by us or the fan will drive him out.

That's the spirit.

Did Parrett get signed from QPR? £1m for a 14 year old iirc.

Man City had an experienced side when we played them as well.

Did Parrett get signed from QPR? £1m for a 14 year old iirc.

Man City had an experienced side when we played them as well.

Levy never buys any player for a set fee, there's always add-ons! :lol:

It was an initial £200k which could go up to £2m depending on the usual etc's.  I think if he makes his debut in the first team the amount paid at that stage will be £800k.  £200k for a 14 year old is a tidy sum, but he does seem to be progressing at a rapid rate of knots.  He's played twice in the reserves and is often the star performer in the u18's although he hasn't actually joined the Spurs Academy yet, he's not old enough to officially join until after the current season.

Was great to see Andy Carroll & David Edgar on there day off after this game wolfing down pizza slice's from the eat as much as you want buffet at Pizza Hut (The Gate). I know it is there day off but ffs bad habits like this so young. Worse than them eating crap, was David Edgar wearing his cap sideways but it was not pulled down so it looked like it was floating on his head.

Was great to see Andy Carroll & David Edgar on there day off after this game wolfing down pizza slice's from the eat as much as you want buffet at Pizza Hut (The Gate). I know it is there day off but ffs bad habits like this so young. Worse than them eating crap, was David Edgar wearing his cap sideways but it was not pulled down so it looked like it was floating on his head.

God forbid our players enjoying themselves!!

God forbid our players enjoying themselves!!

These jokers wouldnt last long under Ramos at Spurs. I also wouldnt class eat as much as you want buffet at Pizza Hut as enjoying yourself unless you are from a harry ramper family.