Barton's replacement for Saturday

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/footballfirst/scrapbook/images/milburn_300.jpg

Might get caught offside a bit and be easy to mark but will still be more effective than Barton.

At the minute he seems unable to get out of his own box.

Sign him up quick, he has more pace and movement than Viduka!

We need Milner wide right, there's no other decent option. For this one away match I would go with a 4-5-1, the three central midfielders being Butt, Zog and Geremi. Martins up front preferably, but I can't see it. It's a team to stop Liverpool while still offering a threat on the counter with Duff, Milner, Zog and Martins. To go there gung ho will be suicide. Save that for Fulham.

Guest LucaAltieri

We need Milner wide right, there's no other decent option. For this one away match I would go with a 4-5-1, the three central midfielders being Butt, Zog and Geremi. Martins up front preferably, but I can't see it. It's a team to stop Liverpool while still offering a threat on the counter with Duff, Milner, Zog and Martins. To go there gung ho will be suicide. Save that for Fulham.

While that side might look good on paper it's changing the system to something the players weren't familiar with which (arguably) got us in this mess in the first place. 4-4-2 is a must. Stability in all aspects of the first team is a must. No fancy tactics, no chopping and changing, just work on morale and get back to basics.

While that side might look good on paper it's changing the system to something the players weren't familiar with which (arguably) got us in this mess in the first place. 4-4-2 is a must. Stability in all aspects of the first team is a must. No fancy tactics, no chopping and changing, just work on morale and get back to basics.

It's not fancy tactics really though, just putting players in positions where they are suited. No left backs playing right back, no forwards playing wide or anything daft like that. Just removing an ineffective forward and putting Zog central with a free reign. It shouldn't be too hard to implement.

It's not fancy tactics really though, just putting players in positions where they are suited. No left backs playing right back, no forwards playing wide or anything daft like that. Just removing an ineffective forward and putting Zog central with a free reign. It shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I thought you said not playing players out of position? ???

Guest LucaAltieri

It still makes a difference when passing the ball around. Having a 5-man midfield with one lone striker is something the side would have to get used to, not something to try out when we play away to one of the better teams in the league. Every game from now until the end of the season is a big game. We can't afford to experiment.

I thought you said not playing players out of position? ???

What I said was "putting players in positions where they are suited". I happen to think Zog could be pretty dangerous running at Liverpool's defence. With Butt and Geremi as a safety net I think Zog, Duff and Milner could provide decent outlet. Beats having Smith in the line up but that's just my opnion.

Guest KeithKettleborough

The only 2 players I have seen putting any sort of forward pass that could lead to a goal have been Barton and Enrique. Just wondering if the latter has ever played in midfield at all as creativity is non existent whoever we play there.

Guess hoping for a Howey-like conversion to fill a much needed gap but also desperation type thinking as I pondered over the question. He seems to be able to pick a player out with a quick pass but whether this could work in midfield I dunno. Of course we would probably be struggling to find a left back again so maybe a non starter even if he was capable. Would like to hear what the more knowledgeable contributors think.

The only 2 players I have seen putting any sort of forward pass that could lead to a goal have been Barton and Enrique. Just wondering if the latter has ever played in midfield at all as creativity is non existent whoever we play there.

Guess hoping for a Howey-like conversion to fill a much needed gap but also desperation type thinking as I pondered over the question. He seems to be able to pick a player out with a quick pass but whether this could work in midfield I dunno. Of course we would probably be struggling to find a left back again so maybe a non starter even if he was capable. Would like to hear what the more knowledgeable contributors think.

I've never thought of Enrique in midfield. I take your point about positive passing, but he doesn't really look like a potential midfield player to me. He's not afraid of taking responsibility though.

I'd agree with what I think you're saying about Barton - he's the best we have at playing the defence-splitting pass, and he's therefore more difficult to replace than a lot of people think. He's fairly ambitious in what he tries and as a result he loses it quite often, but a couple of times on Saturday he played inch perfect passes first time which left Owen one on one. We don't look like scoring many from crosses or set pieces, however many we put in, and we really need that creativity down the centre.

I don't have much doubt that Smith will be the replacement in midfield though. His passing is a lot better than he's given credit for, but obviously not as good as Barton's.

I've never thought of Enrique in midfield. I take your point about positive passing, but he doesn't really look like a potential midfield player to me. He's not afraid of taking responsibility though.

I'd agree with what I think you're saying about Barton - he's the best we have at playing the defence-splitting pass, and he's therefore more difficult to replace than a lot of people think. He's fairly ambitious in what he tries and as a result he loses it quite often, but a couple of times on Saturday he played inch perfect passes first time which left Owen one on one. We don't look like scoring many from crosses or set pieces, however many we put in, and we really need that creativity down the centre.

I don't have much doubt that Smith will be the replacement in midfield though. His passing is a lot better than he's given credit for, but obviously not as good as Barton's.

Yes, Bartons 2 good passes so far have made him far better than Smith, with his none. Thankfully, they are both essentially crap, so we will hardly notice the difference.

Lua Lua.

I can only assume that those who are saying Geremi haven't actually seen him play for us, certainly not live.

I've never seen him play for us, and I'm a season ticket holder :razz:

In his defence, he did once try to make a pass. Before the ball was taken off him.

Which puts Barton as slightly better than him now, having made TWO WHOLE worthwhile passes.

Guest JamesD

Considering this is a harder game which we're not expected to get points, maybe smith should play in the CM, because he'd be more likely to pick up a yellow card there.  Then, for the two more winnable games, he'd be banned.  Brilliant. Also, I'm only half joking.

Considering this is a harder game which we're not expected to get points, maybe smith should play in the CM, because he'd be more likely to pick up a yellow card there.  Then, for the two more winnable games, he'd be banned.  Brilliant. Also, I'm only half joking.

I quite agree with you :lol:

It would also mean that Martins, or at least Viduka or Carrol, would play up front.

Zog and Beye, then at least we have two players who can pass the ball.

Yes i know we would be screwed at right back but I would rather they werent able to run straight through the middle.

I'd take that tbh. :undecided:

Think Big TRon's line-up has some potential in it. It won't happen though. Keegan was brought here to play attacking, simple 4-4-2 football. Same as last week: if Smith's in, I'm not watching. Those dancing cuddly things in Dave's avatar would offer more.

Why half joke? Smith getting banned would be the best thing all round. Hope he plays now.

We should pack the line up with pace up top and just try and get numbers behind the ball and hit them on the break.

Harper

Beye  Faye  Taylor  Enrique

Milner      Geremi        Duff

Zoggy

Martins      Owen   

Not hoping for anything like, but i'd be happy with that formation

Will more than likely be

Harper

Beye  Faye  Taylor  Enrique

Milner      Butt        Duff

Smith

Martins      Owen