How physically fit are footballers?

Karjala

Haha, fair enough. Nonetheless, I'd like to see him just standing there under a net for a whole game. Have you seen him play, or are you assuming he can barely move around the court?

And even if he is this braindead dunk machine standing under[/alongside] the hoop - he's just one man. The entire sport and its merits aren't invalidated by this one superhuman physical specimen.

Guest maddog2

I've played both basketball and football and definitely football you need to be alot more fitter, cardio wise atleast. In basketball, I'd say you run at 3/4 of your full sprinting speed because its not very easy to control the ball and run at top speed. aswell as the court is really small, about as big as the goalkeepers area of a football pitch... the entire pitch can be cover in 10-15 steps if you're running.

and then also, in american basketball there are a lot of timeouts ... in addition to four quarters plus its for 60 minutes instead of 90 minutes like football. 

Football was certainly the most strenuous sport I played too. As others have said, it's the stopping, starting and changing of direction that does you, particularly when you're having to try to do it quicker than an opponent.

On the issue of players being tired after a midweek game, I don't imagine there's a huge measurable difference in performance between the Wednesday and the Saturday game. The issue is that if they're up against opponents who haven't played in midweek, then that can tell in the later stages of the game. Athletically speaking, the players are very evenly matched, and a small advantage in stamina can have a significant effect at that level.

Basketball, I would say, requires a lot more fitness. You're always in play.

Just a shame it isn't a real sport.

Why?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/386129.jpg

He can barely move around the court but could become one the most effective basketball players ever, simply because he is 7'7" tall.

Holy sheeet, it's big foot!

Why do people think it's funny or original or witty or even fucking necessary to come out with such pathetically cliched lines when referring to taller people. It's just dull. Stop it. :undecided:

David Beckham is 1 of only 3 sportsmen/women who have completed the "BLEEP TEST" (If you can remember doing it in your schooldays).

As this tests both Aerobic and Anaerobic fitness, i suggest most Professionals are extremely cardiovascular fit.

David Beckham is 1 of only 3 sportsmen/women who have completed the "BLEEP TEST" (If you can remember doing it in your schooldays).

As this tests both Aerobic and Anaerobic fitness, i suggest most Professionals are extremely cardiovascular fit.

Bleep test is quality, used to get pretty far when i was younger and a got x-country runner. What was that TV show on a Saturday night where the contestants had to do it?

Soccer / Football

Young potential star Nicholas Condylis, moved from Australia to play for Panathinaikos club in Greece two years ago at age 15. He was recorded a 17.1 in the beep test, which puts him up there with the international standard. (St George News, Feb 08)

The Indian Soccer squad has an average beep test score of 11.7, with Steven Dias as the best. The article reported that the world standard for soccer players is is 13.09, (as reported by the Hindustan Times online, July 2007)

Australian Brett Emerton, playing in the English Premier League for Blackburn Rovers, scored a level 15 a the beep test just before the World Cup (Vitalfootball.co.uk, June 2007)

Casey Stoney, the Charlton women's football team captain, who is also an instructor in a gym, reached level 13. The rest of the English World Cup squad dropped out between eight and 12 (Timesonline.com, June 2007)

An article in the Independent.ie reported that Dublin player Wes Hoolahan has beaten the test twice (May 07).

David Beckham has reputedly completed the test, which seems like a bit of hype. Another source I found said he has reached level 16, which seems more believable.

Australian player Nick Carle reached level 13.1 (March 07)

Brazilian import for the Melbourne Victory team, Fred, is the fittest player in the squad, recording a level of 16 when he did the beep test (Jan 07).

English Premier League player Lee Gong Dook was reported to have reached level 17 (Jan 07).

from: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-scores.htm

Not sure exactly how accurate it is. :dontknow:

I would imagine they are very fit, its their profession, they are exercising almost every day and so should be.

But it got me thinking tonight, often we hear the excuse of players being tired after playing 2 games in 4 days, and Southgate blamed Boros loss at the weekend on the Sheff U game going to extra time.

Then, in tonights Manure match, when ITV bring up the player statistics, players were running around 9km on average in 90mins, some less, some more. For example I think it was Kallstrom who ran 6.2km in 60mins.

I would guess a fair few people on here can run that distance confortably in 40mins, 3 times a week (5mins for 1km is a decent pace)

So, whats this shit about being tired? If they are tired, how/why?

Is this a wind-up? :lol: Why do you think the 800m world record is slower than 8 x the 100m world record?

Iron Man Race - swim 3.4k, cycle 112k, then run a fkn marathon and they do it in 8 hours, now thats being fit.

Not a very interesting spectacle though.

Why do people think it's funny or original or witty or even f****** necessary to come out with such pathetically cliched lines when referring to taller people. It's just dull. Stop it. :undecided:

chill out man,push two normal sized beds together,lie down and relax.