Side & Formation for Birmingham

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why would anyone rate Taylor above Caçapa on this season's performances? Totally irrespective of the defensive issue, he's not even a goal threat like he was last season.

for centre halves i'm going to mainly go on the defensive issues.

had the game been at home i may well have gone cacapa

Dont think anyone answered my question yet, what exactly is Emre's 'injury' this time?

Calf, aparently  :rolleyes:

he's very concerned about turkish incursions into northern iraq and the turkish governments recent repealing of secular mandates.

Guest rebel_yell12

System:  4-4-2 (preferred), or 4-3-3.  With Owen as captain, he's unlikely to be dropped (not that I think he deserves dropping) and Owen is not a lone striker -- with Smith the last few matches it's looked a 4-5-1 to me, and Owen's hardly best utilised upfront without a partner.  Am I the only person who thought the whole team looked better when Martins was on the pitch WITH Owen?  Two strikers who can actually score...there's an idea. 

F***ing hard time picking a midfield.  Goal is a dead cert, three of the back four are cert, the two up front SHOULD be cert...but what the f*** to do about the cluster**** in the middle?

Best available keeper:  Harper (dead cert)

Best rightback:  Beye

Best centreback: Faye

Best leftback:  Enrique

2nd centreback:  Cacapa (this was a tough call, but I like Cacapa there v. Brum)

Strikers:  Martins (top scorer) & Owen (second top scorer) -- both fit, both willing to run their socks off (Martins always, Owen of late), and both actually score.

Best right mid:  Milner (been solid last several matches)

Best left mid:  N'Zogbia, but unfortunately may need him in the centre, so perhaps Duff.

Best centremid: Is there one?  No.  Try N'Zogbia there, with Geremi playing more defensive. 

This would give Newcastle five forward-oriented players -- Owen, Martins, Milner, Duff & N'Zogbia--  and five defensive-oriented players (plus the keeper) -- Beye, Faye, Enrique, Cacapa and Geremi. 

This would also remove Smith from the pitch, my favorite aspect of the plan!  I've been thoroughly unimpressed, tbh.  Yeah, he runs a lot, but unlike Owen and even Martins (not always the wisest when it comes to movement), it seems utterly pointless running generally brought on by his own ineptitude.  Plus, he seems to have completely forgotten where the goal is -- and Newcastle need someone to find the damn thing.  Martins has been out, but looked to know it's general direction when he came on and Owen may have misplaced it v. Blackburn but I don't think that's permanent.  Does Smith have a good position?  From what I saw of the match v. Liverpool, Owen ended up damn-near playing in the midfield and did a better job than Smith.  And that's not really a compliment to Michael Owen's skills in the midfield. 

The bench: Forster, Taylor (or start him and have Cacapa on the bench), LuaLua (for Duff if pace needed), Barton (assuming Emre is injured), and Viduka (if a battering ram striker is needed to shift and play in a 4-3-3).

I was tempted to put Carroll on the bench, and would if Viduka is not fit.  Also, had a tough time leaving out Butt in case Geremi needs replacing as a DM.  The midfield is so f***ed up right now it seems impossible to field a decent four.

Upfront:  I can't say it enough, play the two highest scorers.  It can't possibly be more shambolic than the current "partnership" and at least Martins is more creative and about 700x more likely to shoot or score than Smith.  One of my favorite goals of the season had Martins delivering a great ball that Owen headed in for the win v. Wigan.  Have Martins playing a bit deeper (he's more likely to score long-range) and Owen upfront where he belongs not covering the midfield's asses or stranded upfront by himself for 90 minutes.  When is the last time Smith actually looked a threat so defenders had to worry about him, not just Owen?  Forget Owen OR Martins, play Owen AND Martins. 

Guest battyleespeed

We need to do radical change to fix the central midfield problem. 4-4-2 won't do for us because we simply don't have two central midfielders who can dominate the opposition especially at away games. I'd go with 5-3-2 with wingbacks providing the width and supporting the three-man central midfield (also that way N'Zogbia wouldn't be so exposed as a left back):

Harper

Taylor    Faye    Cacapa   

Beye                                               N'Zogbia

Geremi   Butt    Emre (if fit, otherwise Milner)

Owen      Martins

If Owen is as ineffective as usual sub with Carroll or Ameobi.

Harper

Geremi  Beye  Faye  Enrique

Milner  Barton  Zoggy

Martin Carroll  Duff

Fuck it - get Smith, Butt out of the side and I think Carroll (with his height and scoring in reserves) needs to be on that pitch to create more options.  We have to try something different.

Well we signed Diatta I suppose we could use him :D

---------------Harper

Beye---Cacapa-----Diatta----Enrique

Milner----Faye------Zoggy-----Duff

----------Owen----Martins

BENCH

Forster

Taylor

Cacapa

Geremi

Carroll

I can't understand, when people go on about how poor and how easily dominated our centre-midfield is, they won't advocate putting Faye in there. I don't think it's essential to have him in defense, i like Caçapa; i think he's better than Taylor anyway.

Having Taylor and Caçapa, and then Faye infront of them, all in the same side, would help the side in my opinion.

whatever we do it's vital we score - the likelihood of us keeping a clean sheet with our current confidence levels is very, very slim

attack em; stick someone behind the strikers (martins plus one, don't care who but carroll would be my choice), milner for me, and go narrow in midfield - a diamond basically and go for broke...we have the look of a side who will lose if we try to keep it tight, brum are limited so if we go ahead we might surprise ourselves and score a coupla goals

I almost don't know why I still bother:

Harper

Beye Faye Cacapa/Taylor/Diatta (Taylor/Cacapa both as unreliable as the other, don't know anything about the latter) Enrique

Milner Geremi Emre (if injured Barton for pure lack of other option) N'Zogbia

Martins Owen/Carroll/Viduka

If Milner doesn't make it, I'd say Lua Lua, not Duff, because he's been pants. Just as long as Smith is nowhere near the line-up we'll have a chance, but he'll probably be asked to play every position because he's obviously amazing and we just don't realise it. Don't want Barton to play but if Emre is injured nobody else has legs. However, fully expect to see the same disappointing, non-sensical starting 11 that has seen us fall into probable relegation.

Btw, loving Martins' 205 votes to Smith's 7. :razz:

Who the fuck actually voted for Smith?  Tards!

I am one of them, but I was pissed off at the time and voted for the 'least likely to succeed' 11. Can't change my vote now. :(

Guest Spark

Rebel_Yell I think I agree with every word of your post. Martins absolutely has to play. When we break forward, Smith either runs backwards, or tries to mark an opposition defender. He has no conviction in the box whatsoever and I fully believe that he will never score a goal for us.