Duff the P... (finish this sentence)

TRon

Well you don't have to, but anyway the point is: while Duff has offered plenty of industry and running at defenders, that's as far as he seems to get. He never actually gets past them or puts in a decent cross. His end product is generally zero, plus he strikes me as someone who's head goes down. He was subbed by Keegan on Saturday early in the second half. does this mean Zog will finally get a run of games in that position?

Based on reputations and former glories, a team containing Owen, Butt, Smith, Geremi, Carr and Duff would be challenging for the title.

As we are in a relegation battle, I can conclude that they are finished.

Probably one of the main people Keegan was talking about re: needing experienced players in this predicament. Unfortunately. :undecided:

I thought he looked decent when he first came back, seemed to have a bit of spark and a bit of pace, but that's evidently frittered out and as you've said - his end product is zilch and he can't beat a man.

The likes of him, Smith, Butt, Barton... the main individual contributors for why we're where we are imo. 'Key players' who we're supposed to 'depend on' to pull something off, and they're just not. I don't think i'd have any of them in my ideal sixteen tbh. 

Duff is a disaster. absolute nothing player these days.

Duff, Smith, Butt, Carr, Geremi, Owen, maybe even Given, are players who looked pretty good to very good in their prime but are now on a steep decline. Then there's Viduka, Faye, Cacapa who are all getting on and even Beye who isn't exactly a spring chicken.

i wish we'd sign players with their best years ahead of them for a change. we started turning shit when we changed our transfer approach under robson, possibly due to shepherd's meddling, from bright young things to has-beens like butt, kluivert and carr.

Based on reputations and former glories, a team containing Owen, Butt, Smith, Geremi, Carr and Duff would be challenging for the title.

As we are in a relegation battle, I can conclude that they are finished.

No sure about finished.. more just that they have been found out as having been previously surrounded at previous clubs with other good players and really arent as good as people thought they were and certainly arent good enough to inspire their team mate which for me is what defines a "great" player

Well you don't have to, but anyway the point is: while Duff has offered plenty of industry and running at defenders, that's as far as he seems to get. He never actually gets past them or puts in a decent cross. His end product is generally zero, plus he strikes me as someone who's head goes down. He was subbed by Keegan on Saturday early in the second half. does this mean Zog will finally get a run of games in that position?

This is worrying.  He's making runs and beating people at times, but never really finding a man in the box with a cross or getting goal.

Thing is, the whole team has been a shower of shit this season.  Simply because Duff hasn't shone and banged in a load of goals or made loads of assists isn't a sign that Duff is finished etc. - think its more down to the fact that the whole team have been poor and confidence is at an all time low.  Duff's been out for a while with injury and he's come back in to team going through shite run of form and has had to play under two different managers. If the team was playing better football and confidence was high I'd wager that Duff would be performing better, which goes for a number of other players too.

This is worrying.  He's making runs and beating people at times, but never really finding a man in the box with a cross or getting goal.

Thing is, the whole team has been a shower of shit this season.  Simply because Duff hasn't shone and banged in a load of goals or made loads of assists isn't a sign that Duff is finished etc. - think its more down to the fact that the whole team have been poor and confidence is at an all time low.  Duff's been out for a while with injury and he's come back in to team going through shite run of form and has had to play under two different managers. If the team was playing better football and confidence was high I'd wager that Duff would be performing better, which goes for a number of other players too.

I don't know. Zog has his faults, but you can guarantee at least once in a match he'll skin the full back and whip in a decent cross. Against Blackburn, Duff took three consecutive corners and didn't beat the first man. It was abysmal, nothing less. As soon as Zog started taking them we had much more dangerous deliveries which actually caused a problem. If you can't take a corner, you aren't likely to produce much else, especially when the pressure is on.

This is worrying.  He's making runs and beating people at times, but never really finding a man in the box with a cross or getting goal.

Thing is, the whole team has been a shower of s*** this season.  Simply because Duff hasn't shone and banged in a load of goals or made loads of assists isn't a sign that Duff is finished etc. - think its more down to the fact that the whole team have been poor and confidence is at an all time low.  Duff's been out for a while with injury and he's come back in to team going through s**** run of form and has had to play under two different managers. If the team was playing better football and confidence was high I'd wager that Duff would be performing better, which goes for a number of other players too.

I don't know. Zog has his faults, but you can guarantee at least once in a match he'll skin the full back and whip in a decent cross. Against Blackburn, Duff took three consecutive corners and didn't beat the first man. It was abysmal, nothing less. As soon as Zog started taking them we had much more dangerous deliveries which actually caused a problem. If you can't take a corner, you aren't likely to produce much else, especially when the pressure is on.

Taking 3 and not beating the first man is poor, yes, but even I've seen players who are excellent at set-pieces have a game where they seem to hitting poor ones consistiently over the 90 minutes.  Is that a basis of an arguement to suggest a player is finished/past-it when the whole team has been playing poor, conifidence is low and we haven't won a game in months?  I guess I am prepared to give Duff more time to prove he can still do it. 

Duff, Smith, Butt, Carr, Geremi, Owen, maybe even Given, are players who looked pretty good to very good in their prime but are now on a steep decline. Then there's Viduka, Faye, Cacapa who are all getting on and even Beye who isn't exactly a spring chicken.

i wish we'd sign players with their best years ahead of them for a change. we started turning s*** when we changed our transfer approach under robson, possibly due to shepherd's meddling, from bright young things to has-beens like butt, kluivert and carr.

Totally agree.

The old policy meant we could get decent fees when we wanted to sell them as well.

i wish we'd sign players with their best years ahead of them for a change. we started turning shit when we changed our transfer approach under robson, possibly due to shepherd's meddling, from bright young things to has-beens like butt, kluivert and carr.

This is why other clubs fans see us a total joke and very deluded.

Yeah, let's get rid of Owen, Given and Duff.  That is sure to improve us.

He's been poor but he's nowhere near as bad as Nicky fucking Butt.

Dropping him and replacing him with someone who can run and pass will bring much more to the team than dropping Smith or Duff iyam.

He's been poor but he's nowhere near as bad as Nicky f****** Butt.

Dropping him and replacing him with someone who can run and pass will bring much more to the team than dropping Smith or Duff iyam.

:clap2:

As sad a state of affairs as it is, Butt is the only one in our squad with any understanding of how to play the holding role.

He shouldn't have to be doing anything more than playing short, simple passes to a team mate while his CM partner is the one who pulls the strings. We have nobody to be the creative one, so Butt is forced to try and do that too, and the result is some truly woeful displays of passing.

He's past-it, and I'd get rid of him in the summer, but I don't think he's the problem.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/02/18/duff-we-will-use-defeat-as-inspiration-72703-20489399/

And, although he isn’t one of the most popular figures among the Toon Army, Duff has singled out his Republic of Ireland international colleague Stephen Carr as a key figure in the dogfight ahead.

Duff added: “Stephen has been great. He only has until the summer until his contract expires, but as a friend and a player I’d love him to stay.

After getting raped by Man Utd and facing a relegation dogfight, he finds time to fish for a contract for his pal. Good to see he has his priorities sorted.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/02/18/duff-we-will-use-defeat-as-inspiration-72703-20489399/

And, although he isnt one of the most popular figures among the Toon Army, Duff has singled out his Republic of Ireland international colleague Stephen Carr as a key figure in the dogfight ahead.

Duff added: Stephen has been great. He only has until the summer until his contract expires, but as a friend and a player Id love him to stay.

After getting raped by Man Utd and facing a relegation dogfight, he finds time to fish for a contract for his pal. Good to see he has his priorities sorted.

Kind of hard to say that your best mate's a useless piece of shit when asked by a journalist, isn't it.

This is why other clubs fans see us a total joke and very deluded.

Yeah, let's get rid of Owen, Given and Duff.  That is sure to improve us.

Great input.

Never said get rid, did I? it is undeniable that Owen and Duff are players well past their peak who are on a steep decline. For Given i said maybe, there are certainly signs and his fitness has been awful since that challenge at west ham.

As for the summer, it might actually benefit us to shift Owen and Duff, not to mention some of the others listed. as long as the replacements are of the right quality. don't see what is so disgraceful about thinking we should be buying players with their best years ahead of them either, that seems like common sense to me on so many levels.

In order to improve, what we need to do is sign other good players to play alsongside our best players (the likes of Owen and Duff), not replace them.

Do you think it is a coincidence Owen still bangs them in for England and Duff is on fire every time he plays for the Republic..

In order to improve, what we need to do is sign other good players to play alsongside our best players (the likes of Owen and Duff), not replace them.

Do you think it is a coincidence Owen still bangs them in for England and Duff is on fire every time he plays for the Republic..

Owen and Duff aren't even the best players in their position, nevermind the best players in the team.

Duff the pisshead. We get destroyed off Villa one day, then the next he is in the pub hardly able to walk with his mates laughing and joking whilst watching some real TEAMS play on the tele. With that attitude he is a waste of time. Imagine Spurs players doing that under Ramos!

Guest JamesyJazz

I've always questioned Duffs signing,he never really gave the same type of exciting performance even when playing for chelsea that he did at Blackburn.He has never displayed imho a desire to play to the best of his abilities for our shirt n badge.It's way too easy just to stroll on through the season,picking up a wage each week that would see your average Joe punter pay off his mortgage in a month!

Fuck him and the rest of the shirking,underperforming monkies that pass themselves off as professional players that we've signed up in the past 1-2-3 seasons,it's time they produced the goods on the park that they have been employed for and have been more than happy to take our money for!