NE5 versus Mick, Baggio, fredbob, TRon, etc.

bodson

The appointment of Greame Souness is the most stupid descision ever! It still haunts us and it seems we wont recover from it in years.

Has anyone seen or read an interview with Freddy Shepherd where he talks about this? What the hell was he thinking?

Can you imagine if Sir Bobby had been replaced with att descent manager instead. Bobby had built something good to buld on for many years, its all ruined now.

Anyone know the reasons behind the appointment of Souness?

dunno daglish set us back aswell

He signed some very good players for us.

He should've we were the 2nd best team in the country, one of the richest in the world and in the Champion's League. and those players still took us from that position to mid-table. given time i'm sure he'd have done better but he did a poor job short-term. top managers at the top end of the game have to have a long-term plan that doesn't sacrifice the short-term. when, say, Chelsea appoint their next manager, they won't deem it acceptable to have a 5 year plan that ends with winning the league if for the next 2 seasons they drop down to 13th. the means won't justify the end.

as for souness, i still can't believe it today. one of the stupidest, most-poorly handled sacking/replacement in modern football history and a chapter that brings shame on those involved (douglas hall and shepherd).

It was the sacking of Robson, not the appointment of Souness..

Totally agree but it demonstrates the danger of paying too much attention to what the fans say tbh.  The exodus from the stadium at the last home match of the 2004 season and the reaction to the opening games of the next played an important part in that decision imo. As the saying goes "be careful what you wish for". The board of a football club needs to be able to rise above that. Ashley/Mort may have made the same mistake - they have certainly taken a risk.

dunno daglish set us back aswell

He signed some very good players for us.

as for souness, i still can't believe it today. one of the stupidest, most-poorly handled sacking/replacement in modern football history and a chapter that brings shame on those involved (douglas hall and shepherd).

I agree. I can actually believe what happened either! In fact I try not to think about it too much because I just become annoyed. I hate Souness for what he made us and I can't stand seeing him on TV. NEVER EVER the right choice! It was a bit like the Hutchings and Sammy Lee appointments this year, so so obvious it would never ever work, but we hung on and hung on until he had destroyed us.

The sacking of Robson was shocking really.  Souness was on the brink of being sacked by Blackburn and we come in and take him off their hands and pay them compensatiopn! my Rovers fan mate still to this day laughs and jokes about it.

He is a shit manager, he sold or fell out with players that were dangerous for us and replaced them with expensive flops.

Thats not true, all we had to do was be ambitious and appoint a good manager, a la Liverpool then and Spurs now.

Thats not true, all we had to do was be ambitious and appoint a good manager, a la Liverpool then and Spurs now.

indeed

a good manager who would have brought in some good talent, got rid of Shearer, kept Bellamy and Robert....

the two are linked, wasn't much chance of getting a top class manager 6 games into a season with the transfer window shut after we'd just treated one of the most respected men in world football shambolically.

I once asked NE5, seeing as he didn't agree that Freddie was a thick fat so and so, what was Freddie's intelligent reasoning for wanting to hire Souness? Blackburn being 2nd bottom of the league at the time, and Souness being on the brink of the sack. I never got a reply to that one strangely enough.

The sacking of Robson was shocking but it is not the reason why we are still suffering. The reason for that is the appointment of Souness. Just look at the mans wikipedia. His managerial carreer is a sad sad story. How the fuck can anyone appoint him!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souness

I still say Freddy out! Out of the club wasn't enough. Kick him out of the continent!

Its always a number of things that we do to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Not backing Robson in the transfer market when we finished 3rd

Miss timing of Robsons sacking

The following Appointment of Souness

Souness taking the hump with players

Souness being given a vast amount of money and not addressing problem areas of the team (defence)

The appointment of Roeder as manager

Roeder not addressing the problem positions in the first team (defence)

I could go on  :angry:

I once asked NE5, seeing as he didn't agree that Freddie was a thick fat so and so, what was Freddie's intelligent reasoning for wanting to hire Souness? Blackburn being 2nd bottom of the league at the time, and Souness being on the brink of the sack. I never got a reply to that one strangely enough.

howay man, even i can tell you the answer to that

robson had (allegedly/truly) lost the players, dyer refusing to play etc...etc... and souness was seen as a disciplinarian with a decent record (to shepherd, this is all from his perspective)

blackburn being bottom 3 could be seen as a blip in his time there to an outsider like shepherd as he'd got them promoted and won a cup, back into europe and so on

surely you can see that?  time changes perceptions but i clearly remember the feeling during that period that the players needed "sorting out"

there are your reasons, some sound some not so sound in my opinion...it's more a testament to the short-termism of shepherd that he did what he did

shepherd is obviously not an idiot is he?  the only multi-millionaire idoits are lottery winners...he just wasn't suited to running a football club - he was obsessed with winning a trophy (presumably to be the local hero) and i don't think you can underestimate the fact souness had previously won a trophy at EVERY other club he'd been to in the mans thinking

the fact the blackburn fans were dancing about when we took souness tells it's own story but if ANYONE can tell me or show me that when we signed him they could have predicted just how badly he managed things then i'd be very, very surprised...i basically thought we'd end up mid table but sort out the little turds at the club like dyer, and maybe sneak a cup along the way

you asked for freddies intelligent reasoning, not mine i might add

robson had (allegedly/truly) lost the players, dyer refusing to play etc...etc... and souness was seen as a disciplinarian with a decent record (to shepherd, this is all from his perspective)

blackburn being bottom 3 could be seen as a blip in his time there to an outsider like shepherd as he'd got them promoted and won a cup, back into europe and so on

surely you can see that?  time changes perceptions but i clearly remember the feeling during that period that the players needed "sorting out"

there are your reasons, some sound some not so sound in my opinion...it's more a testament to the short-termism of shepherd that he did what he did

shepherd is obviously not an idiot is he?  the only multi-millionaire idoits are lottery winners...he just wasn't suited to running a football club - he was obsessed with winning a trophy (presumably to be the local hero) and i don't think you can underestimate the fact souness had previously won a trophy at EVERY other club he'd been to in the mans thinking

the fact the blackburn fans were dancing about when we took souness tells it's own story but if ANYONE can tell me or show me that when we signed him they could have predicted just how badly he managed things then i'd be very, very surprised...i basically thought we'd end up mid table but sort out the little turds at the club like dyer, and maybe sneak a cup along the way

I knew right from the off that that cockend would dragg us down the table.  My pals will tell you how much i bitched on about the scotch slag.

He was a plumb, his methods were old and outdated.

You dont command respect from people by going around acting the hardman.

I knew right from the off that that cockend would dragg us down the table.  My pals will tell you how much i bitched on about the scotch slag.

i think what gets me more than anything about the appointment of souness was how much he was backed - to call his previous transfer record patchy would be doing the bloke a favour, yet he was afforded SO much money to piss away...this made less sense that appointing him!

that's what galls me now...everyone can appoint a bad manager, and most generally do, but most don't leave clubs in the mess he did due to the money spent and wages agreed (what was the story recently, pre souness the wages were between 50-60% of turnover and OK, after he went mental it shot up to 72%!!)

if he'd come in and been backed a bit, done his "disciplinarian" shit, then pissed off without us having been tarnished by the luque/owen/bounsoung deals i think the vitriol reserved for him would have been somewhat lower

So had Sir Bobby.

i think what gets me more than anything about the appointment of souness was how much he was backed - to call his previous transfer record patchy would be doing the bloke a favour, yet he was afforded SO much money to piss away...this made less sense that appointing him!

that's what galls me now...everyone can appoint a bad manager, and most generally do, but most don't leave clubs in the mess he did due to the money spent and wages agreed (what was the story recently, pre souness the wages were between 50-60% of turnover and OK, after he went mental it shot up to 72%!!)

if he'd come in and been backed a bit, done his "disciplinarian" s***, then pissed off without us having been tarnished by the luque/owen/bounsoung deals i think the vitriol reserved for him would have been somewhat lower

The board and chairman should also shoulder the blame for the Souness mess.  They allowed the wages to escalate unchecked.

And didn't Souness say recently that freddy was intfearing in his plans for team rebuilding.