The official I Love NUFC thread

Guest Knightrider

The Everton 6-2 game a few years back (my first SJP visit after years of away games) was fantastic. I loved it. I was about 14 or so, the weather was glorious, the town was buzzing, I loved every minute of it (even when they scored because I always felt it was our game for the taking), every element of it from talking to hotel staff about the club, buying papers and merchandise and the like and walking around Leazes Park before the match.

Perfect first home game. My first away game (Crystal Palace in 97, 2-1 win at Selhurst, Ketsbaia winner) was great too.

Guest alijmitchell

ali j

yes,the day we signed shearer. 3000 mile away and find out before my mates back home and EVERYONE talking about it. the world service 15min sports bulletin taken up with one subject for a whole day.

Yes. I was on a family holiday in devon that time in a really small hotel run by this old southern couple. I by the pool at the back and the old codger who owned the hotel ran round to say we've signed shearer. I did a backflip to celebrate, even the french tourists knew what i was happy about.

Enough of that talk.

The bad times make the club what it is as much as the good.

Would you prefer we'd won and followed the Mackem path for the last 20 years?  If we never lost that game I doubt we'd have had many of the happy memories that fill this thread.

I found out about the Shearer signing through Teletext back in the days before I had access to the internet and sports television. Couldn't believe it.

I can remember every single detail of that day down to the ice cream my mother bought me.

It has probably been lost in the mists of time but back in 86 or something like that, when Gazza was just coming to prominence for us, Football Focus (Bob Wilson presented it) did an absolutely magic feature on him. Showing him fishing and training and bits like that. It was the one where Jackie Milburn said that "He will be the best in the world.... best in the world".

Was an absolutely magic piece and was perhaps the first time I ever felt really proud to be from the North East and to be a Newcaslte United fan. Was about 14 at the time.

I seriously think this club is going to shorten my lifetime due to the heartbeat everytime we play, and I live in Sweden. That's how much it means, and so far it's been well worth it. Bellamys 3-2, Solanos 4-3 and Roberts 3-1 during the 01/02 and 02/03 are three of the happiest moments of my life. No doubt.

Loads of memories.

Tony Green was so brilliant it almost brings tears to your eyes.

Loads of one off highlights, but I think the 3-0 win over Liverpool when Cole scored his hat trick was a fantastic day, because it signified that for the first time in my entire life I was supporting a football club that truly was on the way to the top, or it seemed to be the case. It was the day when I truly believed that Keegan was poised to be our Shankly and still think if we had won the league in 1996 things would have been so different.

Revenge for all the beatings that the scousers had gave us over the years, the manner in which we beat them, and the fact I  thought we were going to take their place and those of them who were at that match knew it. We humiliated them, and everybody saw it on sky TV too.

Not easy to put into words, but the huge feeling that the long wait to support the team I'd always dreamed of was about to come to be.

I'll admit reminiscing about some of the memories was depressing me at first but I'm just ignoring that for now and I must say this thread has become a joy to read now.

Don't want to live in the past forever but theres little wrong in remembering the great times.

Loads of memories.

Tony Green was so brilliant it almost brings tears to your eyes.

Loads of one off highlights, but I think the 3-0 win over Liverpool when Cole scored his hat trick was a fantastic day, because it signified that for the first time in my entire life I was supporting a football club that truly was on the way to the top, or it seemed to be the case. It was the day when I truly believed that Keegan was poised to be our Shankly and still think if we had won the league in 1996 things would have been so different.

Revenge for all the beatings that the scousers had gave us over the years, the manner in which we beat them, and the fact I  thought we were going to take their place and those of them who were at that match knew it. We humiliated them, and everybody saw it on sky TV too.

Not easy to put into words, but the huge feeling that the long wait to support the team I'd always dreamed of was about to come to be.

Completely agree.

Again. In one night. What's going on? :)

aye, to be fair despite our resonalby limited history regarding trophies etc, we still have some amazing memories which a lot of clubs would love to have.

I think though that the stand out result for me was that 5-0 slapping of Man U. Every single club in the premiership wanted to be in that position and it was an amazing result. I think some clubs would swap silverware to have that in the memory cabinet.

Priceless.

Very random game but:

Newcastle 4-1 Real Mallorca. My first taste of St James Park, loved every second of it.

Was a class night :celb:

I feel like a jackass even attempting to contribute to this thread, but in my limited time, I have to say the 3-2 vs Tottenham has to be high point in my time as a fan. Going beyond Martins' unbelievable strike, a goal so unexpected I was out of my seat screaming like a girl before I even understood that the ball went in. I loved that Butt got the winner after the confrontation with Chimbonda. After the goal, when he was jogging backwards with all the players chasing him, you couldn't get the grin off my face.

Pales in comparison to the things I've read here, but it's all I have.

Tino scoring the hat-trick against Barca was very special. To go 3-0 up against the best team in the world was just amazing. Faustino Asprilla, on his day one of the best players you are likely to see.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/1530666-thumb.jpg

Phillipe Albert, not only for *that* goal, but also for being a top drawer centerback.

http://www.czechsoccernet.cz/obrazky/postcards/Srnicek-Newcastle97.jpg

When growing up I was a keeper, and pav was my hero as a kid. Even if he seemed to get lobbed every game!

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/63/7c/0,,10278~228451,00.jpg

A wizard who could do anything with the ball and a very clever player. I wrote a piece of work at primary school on him, which I still own! :)

The really obvious ones aside:

More recently it was being in the front row of the Gallowgate for Shearer's record-breaking goal against Portsmouth and appearing on the photos of him celebrating it in the official programme/loads of the papers, with my mouth agape, yelling like a maniac. When I can afford it, I plan on getting that photo and having it blown-up/framed, because as daft as it sounds it feels very special to be a tiny part of that moment. His testimonial was also absolutely top-drawer, and I've got MattM4 to thank for that, eternally.

Prior to that, being directly in line with Shearer's thunderbolt against Everton from the Milburn Paddock was very special, and then when Bellamy wrapped it up in the last minute it just typified everything brilliant about that team at the time. Watching Arsenal (a) on the TV was fantastic, as well, when we shat all over the London curse.

Laurent Robert has provided me with as much joy as any player though, being there when he struck those two goals against Spurs was another absolute highlight and the view I got of the second was unreal. I just remember everyone around being awe struck by him on that day, the atmosphere was fantastic.

Even before then, when I didn't have a season ticket, I saw some fantastic games at SJP. The Anderlecht rout being one, when Rob Lee turned into a goal machine, the Swansea game (my little brother's first ever match) where Paul Kitson scored a very good hat-trick.

In some pub with my Man Utd-supporting friend watching the 4-3 come in on Soccer Saturday.

Mine was the 5 nil drubbing of Man U watched on the big screen in my local! Totally packed that evening, scum supporters mouthing off before the game and then having faces like smacked arses after it.

They also had the humiliation of having me flicking some dry roasted off the top of their bonces for the last 5 mins.

;D

Bring back those days Kev

in the strawberry after the man utd 5-0 game and the police,lord love'em, made the man utd supporters coaches wait for about 15mins directly outside the pub so they were trapped there having to watch us ridicule from the pub.

Man I love this club, theres no feeling that can replicate how I feel when we do well. There is nothing that can stir as much emotion in me in the space of seconds as this club can. The pain is intense all too often but the elation I've felt over the years is mind-blowing, orgasmic, powerful beyond anything else.

I can think of only 2 other things that I've had the pleasure of experiencing from time to time that can leave me grinning all day long that aren't football, and those 2 things come along a lot lot less. Guaranteed day-long smile and a guaranteed happy day every single time we win a game.

Being bummed by a bloke and?