Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

That'll do. Taking Martins off was frustrating, but this was a crucial, crucial point. I wasn't watching it, but if we were pushing too much and then leaving ourselves open to attack, it could have been quite dangerous, and potentially disastrous. Containment when you're ten games into the season and up against the Mackems is a bit of a disgrace; but in this situation, it's probably sensible.

Keeps him fresh n'all.

Can't wait for Saturday. Well done boys, hard fought point.

We had them pegged back and bumming them in the face. They were completely out of it by that point.

Ah right, well like i say, i didn't watch it. But i mean still, regardless of how close we're getting, we're missing stacks of chances nowadays and conceding a lot and in the blink of an eye. I didn't have to see the game to think that move was a sensible one (i was listening, though); the game died and we confirmed what was a valuable point.

Winning is also key to avoiding relegation. Playing it safe and settling for points with our defence will be the death of us.

We managed to stop a team that are also in the mire picking up an extra 2 points, that in itself could be crucial at the end of the season.

Harper 7

Beye 6

Taylor 6

Faye 2

Enrique 5

Geremi 3

Butt 7

Barton 5

Martins 8

Owen 7

Viduka 7

Geremi 3?? fuckin hell mate!

Would have been more if any of his corners had been better than "utter shite". We really really needed better delivery.

I barely recall him losing the ball and was in fact quite useful in posession. His first few deliverys werent bad but I admit quite a few were poor after.

Guest JamesD

Still can't believe Owen missed that one-on-one. Awful miss.

Awful?  :lol:

great save by taylor actually.

I know, I saw it. It was a great save.

haha I know, i was just saying that for Dave.

Went through all of the emotions with that one.

From an awful first half to a dominant second half where we created plenty of chances to win it to a nail biting finish after what happened against Blackburn, happy with the point though and would have taken it before kick off.

Faye had a shitter, easily the worst game he's had for us and I was surprised to see him come out for the second half, Viduka should have gone off instead of Martins as him and N'Zogbia would have offered us much more when attacking together.

Not to worry, roll on Fulham.

Guest Mcdonald36

The Martins sub just stunned me and stopped all momentum. He was giving their defence nightmares.

Well in Kev, great tactical thinking.

I know, I saw it. It was a great save.

haha I know, i was just saying that for Dave.

One of those where both is true IMO. Great save. Still should have scored from there.

Yep, think Owen did pretty much all he could do.

Just twat it high from there, the keeper won't get near it.

All in all if it wasn't for individual errors - Faye fucking up, Owen missing a good chance and for me Viduka failing to play in Owen or Martins when he was through, we would of won the game. Very positive for me.

Unbelievable the Duke never knew Owen was free on his left and chose to pass to Martins.

Can't believe he took Martins off, alhough to be honest, I thought you lost the impetus before that.

The match looked like what it was - two sides shit scared of getting relegated. Very cagey indeed.

Fair enough, but they were a lot more scared of us going forward while Martins was still on the pitch.

When I saw Zoggy warming up, I thought "take anyone except Martins off". That was nearly the equivalent of committing footballing suicide; had Birmingham gotten lucky (which _is_ typical NUFC) with their pot shots they might very well have taken all 3 points in the last 5 minutes or so.

Overall the result is... alright but it could have been better if Keegan had any common sense.

Harper 7

Beye 7

Taylor 5

Faye 5

Enrique 7

Geremi 7

Butt 7

Barton 6

Martins 8

Owen 7

Viduka 7

Geremi 7 ? we talking about the same player here ? he looked like he had a broken ankle the way he put those corners in.

:D

Guest Chris P

Just had a massive rage with the misses, because she wanted moisturiser rubbed in her back with fifteen minutes to go.. cunt

Skeletor, this was a very important point. As people have said, it's not the right circumstances to be throwing it all at them, like you'd expect much earlier in the season. Not in my opinion, anyway. Frustrating, aye, but the key aim was four points and we're well on the road to that.

He could have taken Viduka off, brought N'Zogbia on and moved Martins up front. More shape to the team but still with Martins threat there to win it. It's a decision that made no sense especially when many of our other players were knackered.

Poor first half but we rallied second and I think we deserved to win the game overall, only a great save from Taylor stopped Oba giving us the lead. Geremi and Enrique the pick of the bunch for me. Only a point but I'm much more confident of staying up now.

Guest JamesD

All in all if it wasn't for individual errors - Faye f****** up, Owen missing a good chance and for me Viduka failing to play in Owen or Martins when he was through, we would of won the game. Very positive for me.

Unbelievable the Duke never knew Owen was free on his left and chose to pass to Martins.

That man needs to learn how to pass. Would rather have seen Carrol or Ameobi up front today than him (though about saying Smith but I though better of it).

Harper 7

Beye 7

Taylor 5

Faye 5

Enrique 7

Geremi 7

Butt 7

Barton 6

Martins 8

Owen 7

Viduka 7

Geremi 7 ? we talking about the same player here ? he looked like he had a broken ankle the way he put those corners in.

:D

I'd still have him in the middle over Barton on any given day. Barton actually looked slower than 40 year old legs Geremi.