Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Guest LucaAltieri

Skeletor, this was a very important point. As people have said, it's not the right circumstances to be throwing it all at them, like you'd expect much earlier in the season. Not in my opinion, anyway. Frustrating, aye, but the key aim was four points and we're well on the road to that.

He could have taken Viduka off, brought N'Zogbia on and moved Martins up front. More shape to the team but still with Martins threat there to win it. It's a decision that made no sense especially when many of our other players were knackered.

Agreed... but with the emphasis on not losing I can see why he'd keep Viduka on as a player who can (in theory) hold the ball up.

Can't believe he took Martins off, alhough to be honest, I thought you lost the impetus before that.

The match looked like what it was - two sides s*** scared of getting relegated. Very cagey indeed.

N'Zogbia should have been on for Barton as soon as we'd scored, Barton is one of the worst footballers I've seen at Newcastle for years.

Keegan blew it when he took Martins off.

Guest kingdawson

I like how Martins was reacting angrily to being subbed off, and he had his hands on his shirt (ready to take it off and probably throw it) but he thought better of it, and just stuck to the disgusted look on his face :lol: :lol:

Geremi's corners and crosses baffled me because barely a month ago he was swinging in some fantastic crosses for Cameroon from the same positions. Just an off day I think although I though his overall play was good.

Poor first half but we rallied second and I think we deserved to win the game overall, only a great save from Taylor stopped Oba giving us the lead. Geremi and Enrique the pick of the bunch for me. Only a point but I'm much more confident of staying up now.

Enrique keeps impressing me with his cool head and how strong he is on the ball, shame he's not better going forward but it's something we'll have to work with him on.

Guest Chris P

Just had a massive rage with the misses, because she wanted moisturiser rubbed in her back with fifteen minutes to go.. :shifty:c***

did you rub it in her chocolate starfish like?

if i was doing that i would not be watching football

Skeletor, this was a very important point. As people have said, it's not the right circumstances to be throwing it all at them, like you'd expect much earlier in the season. Not in my opinion, anyway. Frustrating, aye, but the key aim was four points and we're well on the road to that.

He could have taken Viduka off, brought N'Zogbia on and moved Martins up front. More shape to the team but still with Martins threat there to win it. It's a decision that made no sense especially when many of our other players were knackered.

Agreed... but with the emphasis on not losing I can see why he'd keep Viduka on as a player who can (in theory) hold the ball up.

Not in practise though.

Guest Goalfather

It was obvious from Martins' play (and reaction to the substitution) that he was regaining a bit of confidence. I've never seen a player as reliant on it.

Absolutely clueless management!!!!!

Martins should seriously start considering his options next season.

The guy is struggling to get a game when he's clearly the best option up front. When he begins to get some confidence the managers usually do their best to destroy it.

Unbelievable the Duke never knew Owen was free on his left and chose to pass to Martins.

Agreed, Owen was the easier ball and a probable goal, Viduka was poor tonight, he looked totally unfit.

Can I just say as well, as much as I despise Butt's ability, I have so much admiration for him for his performance today. The guy cares 100%, and as much as he gave the ball away today, he also won it back for us a hell of a lot.

Was definitely the man of the match.

Viduka's over hit pass when it was 3 against 3 pissed me off more than Owen's chance, all it needed was a simple lay off to Martins and he hit it 5 yards wide of him.

Most definitely. Was screaming and shouting at the tele for Viduka to pass it (actually, it was just random shouting, couldn't even utter any words), and he fucks it up so bad. Terrible.

Unbelievable the Duke never knew Owen was free on his left and chose to pass to Martins.

Agreed, Owen was the easier ball and a probable goal, Viduka was poor tonight, he looked totally unfit.

He moves like that when he is fit tbf. :lol:

Can I just say as well, as much as I despise Butt's ability, I have so much admiration for him for his performance today. The guy cares 100%, and as much as he gave the ball away today, he also won it back for us a hell of a lot.

A lot better than he has been recently, but Martins was man of the match by a mile.

He was pretty good in the first half, but looked totally knackered by the second.

:thup: it would have been a close call if Martins had stayed on and won us the match though

I'm happy with the point.

We didn't lose, which means we're still above Birmingham, in fact, we move all the way up to 13th.

Much better second half performance. Same lineup and same intention that we showed in the second half, for the full game on Saturday, and we'll win comfortably.