Owen in a deeper role - could it be the way forward?

Dave

I only see it as a temporary thing. It's all went well the last couple of games (understatement) but surely we aren't suddenly expecting Viduka to play a major part next season? I still expect a big name striker to come in to play alongside Owen or Martins, with the odd game of all 3 of them playing.

And as for Owen agreeing to drop deep to improve his chances of getting back into the England side, I can't see it, quite the opposite. The one thing England are lacking is someone to front it all. Rooney is much better suited to the withdrawn role.

• 2 weeks later...

not according to `Arry....STFU!

Portsmouth boss Redknapp: Owen being played out-of-position

April 13, 2008

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp believes Michael Owen is being played out-of-position at Newcastle United.

He said: "If you are asking me if I could see Michael playing for England in that position then, no, I couldn't.

"For me he's an on-the-shoulder striker who wants to make runs and get in there and score goals."

April 13, 2008

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp believes Michael Owen is being played out-of-position at Newcastle United.

He said: "If you are asking me if I could see Michael playing for England in that position then, no, I couldn't.

"For me he's an on-the-shoulder striker who wants to make runs and get in there and score goals."

:lol:

"I didn't want the job...but if you're asking me how it SHOULD be done..."

'Arry is being influenced by the fact that Owen didn't play particularly well on Saturday. If his name has been Alan Smith, he'd be getting loads of abuse for being anonymous throughout and missing a sitter.

Ultimately, what counts is how the team is playing, and not any one individual. Keegan has found a solution (perhaps only temporary) to the problem that both he and Allardyce were struggling with - namely, how to include Owen without resorting to a 4-4-2 that was very restricting to his other players.

Guest Milburnthedog

The system is working and will continue to as long as our midfield work their socks off. Same again for the mackems but I'll expect them to stick 5 across midfield to try and stifle Owen dropping deeper.

April 13, 2008

Yup, I think he's regretting all his silly talk of not wanting the job.

April 13, 2008

4 goals in 5 games. Missed a sitter which if an inch different, would have probably have won us the Pompey game.

He's seen alot more of the ball in this new position than he has in his entire career at this club.

Aye, he's fucking struggling like.

He was too deep a lot of the time against Pompey so I can see where the saggy faced bastard is coming from.

I disagree. I think he can be afford to be as deep as he wants when Martins and Duke are up top. Normally with two strikers it would be a problem but not in the formation we play.

His work rate and ability distribute the ball was still very good.

April 13, 2008

Yup, I think he's regretting all his silly talk of not wanting the job.

Thank fuck for that! Harry not getting the job.

He was too deep a lot of the time against Pompey so I can see where the saggy faced bastard is coming from.

I disagree. I think he can be afford to be as deep as he wants when Martins and Duke are up top. Normally with two strikers it would be a problem but not in the formation we play.

He can be afforded to I agree just sometimes when we were on the break especially in the second half we had the ball in the final third and Owen was nowhere in sight. Just think his priority should be to make sure he supports the attack rather than supplement the midfield. Maybe I'm just nit picking.

He can be afforded to I agree just sometimes when we were on the break especially in the second half we had the ball in the final third and Owen was nowhere in sight. Just think his priority should be to make sure he supports the attack rather than supplement the midfield. Maybe I'm just nit picking.

Absolutely, he needs to make sure that he gets into the box a much as possible but the good thing about Owen is that he can score a range of goals. Therefore if he's not catching up with play, we know that he might nick a header from a corner or pick up on a mistake from a set piece.

Is taking the pressure off his goalscoring, which works in his favour as he's a natural anyway.

Guest Chubby Jason

Unlike Harry Redknapp to be commenting on issues not related to him

;D ;D

He's a prick Redknapp. I still can't believe everyone has forgotton about how he got Southampton relegated then had the balls to go BACK to Portsmouth.

He's made a career on being a caracterture of himself as being the cockney wide-boy 'Arry rather than being a particularly good manager. The media will love him no matter what he does.

Redknapp is wrong, Owen isn't that kind of striker anymore. i can't see many centre-halfs he could outrun, and even if he does get clear in those positions, he's usually forced to snatch shots in pressurised situations, or strike from distance, and his finishing simply isn't good/powerful enough.

however it still remains to be seen if he can make the deep-lying forward role his own. for me, he hasn't got the creativity or skill or vision to be really effective in that role, the drifting creative forward like gudjohnsen or tevez. he is crisp and tidy on the ball but never attempts anything out of the ordinary. ironically i'd like to see his passing completion rate drop, as it would suggest more ambitious attempts rather than the safe play we've seen so far.

his goalscoring in this position looks good though, it enables him to make runs free of a dominating centre-half tracking him, so he can arrive late in the box a la Cahill or Scholes of old. he has people ahead of him, which he needs, with pace to stretch the game, strength to hold the ball up and skill to create openings. i think longer-term he'll play as the withdrawn forward in a 4-4-2, and Keegan will look for a striker who can play ahead of Owen, combining the qualities that Viduka and Martins have - pace, strength and skill. Truth be told, Owen was beginning to play that way under Allardyce, but the team didn't have any pace in it so he wasn't having any joy. also in a 4-4-2 he was having to play with his back to goal fending for long-balls, whereas in this formation he is almost like a midfielder bursting forward, so always plays facing the goal which suits him better.

funny how the tactically naive Keegan could muster such an effective and inventive formation from limited resources, yet innovative 'blue skies' magician Sam Allardyce couldn't.

Unlike Harry Redknapp to be commenting on issues not related to him

;D ;D

He's a prick Redknapp. I still can't believe everyone has forgotton about how he got Southampton relegated then had the balls to go BACK to Portsmouth.

He's made a career on being a caracterture of himself as being the cockney wide-boy 'Arry rather than being a particularly good manager. The media will love him no matter what he does.

hear hear, a cunt of the highest order. Was delighted when he wasn't offered NUFC job.

Guest rebel_yell12

'Arry is being influenced by the fact that Owen didn't play particularly well on Saturday. If his name has been Alan Smith, he'd be getting loads of abuse for being anonymous throughout and missing a sitter.

Ultimately, what counts is how the team is playing, and not any one individual. Keegan has found a solution (perhaps only temporary) to the problem that both he and Allardyce were struggling with - namely, how to include Owen without resorting to a 4-4-2 that was very restricting to his other players.

All due respect, I think the difference is Owen has 4 goals in the last five matches, and six goals in the last ten.  Alan Smith has...none.  In the last 30+ matches.  4 in 4 surely ought to earn the lad more than one match without a goal before the slagging off begins?  Especially since I didn't think that was "missing a sitter" -- Owen had hit it well, from a tough ball, and it was on-target, just...David James has big hair.  James admitted as much himself, it was sheer luck on Portsmouth's part.

Owen's contribution is more than goals, and I thought he played solidly if not outstandingly against Portsmouth.  Considering there were many that thought the midfield would get overrun against a top 8 side, I'm content with the midfield and Owen's play on Saturday (I'd lump Owen more in the midfield on that performance than in with the strikers). 

Saggy face t*** has a bit of a point. i dont think Owen could get in the England squad playing in that position because rooney would surely take that role if it were to come up?

100% working for us though, and thats what matters.

Redknapp is wrong, Owen isn't that kind of striker anymore. i can't see many centre-halfs he could outrun, and even if he does get clear in those positions, he's usually forced to snatch shots in pressurised situations, or strike from distance, and his finishing simply isn't good/powerful enough.

however it still remains to be seen if he can make the deep-lying forward role his own. for me, he hasn't got the creativity or skill or vision to be really effective in that role, the drifting creative forward like gudjohnsen or tevez. he is crisp and tidy on the ball but never attempts anything out of the ordinary. ironically i'd like to see his passing completion rate drop, as it would suggest more ambitious attempts rather than the safe play we've seen so far.

his goalscoring in this position looks good though, it enables him to make runs free of a dominating centre-half tracking him, so he can arrive late in the box a la Cahill or Scholes of old. he has people ahead of him, which he needs, with pace to stretch the game, strength to hold the ball up and skill to create openings. i think longer-term he'll play as the withdrawn forward in a 4-4-2, and Keegan will look for a striker who can play ahead of Owen, combining the qualities that Viduka and Martins have - pace, strength and skill. Truth be told, Owen was beginning to play that way under Allardyce, but the team didn't have any pace in it so he wasn't having any joy. also in a 4-4-2 he was having to play with his back to goal fending for long-balls, whereas in this formation he is almost like a midfielder bursting forward, so always plays facing the goal which suits him better.

funny how the tactically naive Keegan could muster such an effective and inventive formation from limited resources, yet innovative 'blue skies' magician Sam Allardyce couldn't.

Allardyce was always going to innovate you into a more expensive version of Bolton.

Good call by Keegan.

April 13, 2008

I think he is right with his point Owens role seems bizarre to me.

Watching our last 5 games the system is more of a 4 at the back and diamond in midfield with Butt playing far deeper then Barton and Geremi with Owen playing far deeper then the two up top.

I agree to a certain extent that its important not changing what has made us 5 unbeaten and 3 wins out of 5 games but something to consider would be Owens role; I think Mark Viduka has the better attributes playing deeper then the front two and playing the link between the midfield and attack certainly far more then Owen has.

It would be interesting to see if Keegan slightly changes Michael Owen role and plays Mark Viduka playing in between midfield and attack making the ball stick and bouncing attacks off of him allowing Martins and Owen playing high up on the shoulders and in behind the defenders.

April 13, 2008

I think he is right with his point Owens role seems bizarre to me.

Watching our last 5 games the system is more of a 4 at the back and diamond in midfield with Butt playing far deeper then Barton and Geremi with Owen playing far deeper then the two up top.

I agree to a certain extent that its important not changing what has made us 5 unbeaten and 3 wins out of 5 games but something to consider would be Owens role; I think Mark Viduka has the better attributes playing deeper then the front two and playing the link between the midfield and attack certainly far more then Owen has.

It would be interesting to see if Keegan slightly changes Michael Owen role and plays Mark Viduka playing in between midfield and attack making the ball stick and bouncing attacks off of him allowing Martins and Owen playing high up on the shoulders and in behind the defenders.

Viduka isn't fit enough to play the role Owen is currently playing.