Kev: Signings may not be stars

Baggio

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn.

How incredibly arrogant. And to think you go on about having no divine right to win things. :lol:

We don;'t have a right to win anything, but the day we fail to recognise that we have a huge fanbase bigger than most is the day we are back to the days pre-Halls and Shepherd. You may not like that Dave, but its true.

What difference does having a large stadium and passionate fanbase make these days?

Are you serious Dave ?

Spell it out for me. Because last time I checked, nearly every club in the Premier League (and even some not) has an ultra-rich benefactor, and Chelsea who've won an absolute shitload in recent years still can't sell out their ground.

Why do manure have the biggest spending power and are recognised as being the top club in the country,  and have been for decades ?

Are you going to answer my question?

I'd love to see Bentley here. On the verge of signing a new contract with Blackburn though, and I still don't see why he'd particularly want to come.

well, I don't really think football has changed too much. Blackburn may be able to offer him more money than they used to be able to do because of sky etc, but from an ambition point of view, fans, and the type of area and football club, the likes of Newcastle beat them all ends up every time. Others do too unfortunately. Its a real coup for Hughes if he can persuade him to stay, but if I were Bentley I wouldn't stay at Blackburn.

I disagree.

Bentley is not going to leave Blackburn to make a sideways move.

What would be the point him leaving to join Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Man City? There's slightly more likelihood of him joining Spurs for the London lifestyle, but other than that, he's very unlikely to do anything other than bide his time and wait for a move to one of the big four (three in his case, discounting Arsenal for obvious reasons).

Theres little incentive in moving from one also-ran to another when the ultimate ambition is to be at one of the big boys.

As you said, Sky money has distorted the situation, and although waving a huge wad of cash at players still does work from time to time, it isn't anywhere near as persuasive as it used to be. Neither is the 'footballing city' thing. Players these days care about one thing - themselves, unfortunately.

I don't consider moving from Blackburn to Newcastle to be a "sideways" move, in the grand scheme of things. Aston Villa maybe.

In the longer term, Blackburn may be above Newcastle at the moment, but not too many people will think that situation will continue for very long. Or that being a Blackburn player is preferable to being a Newcastle player in the long term either.

I think you've become a little detached from reality if you don't think a move from Blackburn to Newcastle is a sideways move.

And as for the comment about "s**** little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

I've got a lot of time for you in much of what you post, but that is condescending bullshit of the type which gives Newcastle fans a bad name.

Wimbledon are bigger than Liverpool because they beat them in the 1988 Cup final ?

Notts Forest are bigger than Barcelona because they won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980 ?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

Even the biggest diehard Blackburn fan [all 8,000 of them] would concede they aren't as big a club as clubs like Newcastle, and just to prove I'm not being deliberately patronising, Sunderland too. Who are also a bigger club than Aston Villa who can't even fill a 44000 stadium.

I didnt say Blackburn were as big a club as Newcastle. I said it was a sideways move. That's a totally different thing. You're putting words in my mouth and countering an argument I didn't actually make.

We can't fill a 44,000 stadium mainly because we don't have a 44,000 stadium, it is a 42,640 stadium and it was full yesterday.

However, since you're resorting to pettiness, I've supported Villa since I was 6. 1973. Since then:

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

and I'm still prepared to admit Blackburn to Villa is a sideways move these days.

Still, you've got your big crowds and your sneering at other clubs to clutch on to.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

I edited the post and made a further point.

You missed where I have said that in football terms in the long run, Newcastle is a step up from Blackburn, not current league positions.

Players want to play for big clubs. If you were a footballer, who would YOU play for, Newcastle or Blackburn ?

It's up to Newcastle to capitalise on the fanbase, and its up to the club to go to players like him and show him that we want him to play for us and we are a progressive club with far more potential than his current club and we have the intention of making our advantages count as soon as possilble and we see him as being an important player to help us to do this.

What makes you say this?

The days when we were part of the top 4 are now gone. We are not only out of the top 4 but also in a chasing pack of 5-6 clubs who can offer us pretty much exactly the same as us financially but maybe not as much in terms of passion. Nowadays in the wag and bling culture of the modern day football, does passwion actually count for that much?

EDIT: I may be missing something, but what difference does that extra 7-8k of people who turn up make to the appeal of this club as opposed to the clubs we are in direct competition with in regard to signing players?

I'd love to see Bentley here. On the verge of signing a new contract with Blackburn though, and I still don't see why he'd particularly want to come.

well, I don't really think football has changed too much. Blackburn may be able to offer him more money than they used to be able to do because of sky etc, but from an ambition point of view, fans, and the type of area and football club, the likes of Newcastle beat them all ends up every time. Others do too unfortunately. Its a real coup for Hughes if he can persuade him to stay, but if I were Bentley I wouldn't stay at Blackburn.

I disagree.

What would be the point him leaving to join Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Man City? There's slightly more likelihood of him joining Spurs for the London lifestyle, but other than that, he's very unlikely to do anything other than bide his time and wait for a move to one of the big four (three in his case, discounting Arsenal for obvious reasons).

Theres little incentive in moving from one also-ran to another when the ultimate ambition is to be at one of the big boys.

As you said, Sky money has distorted the situation, and although waving a huge wad of cash at players still does work from time to time, it isn't anywhere near as persuasive as it used to be. Neither is the 'footballing city' thing. Players these days care about one thing - themselves, unfortunately.

I don't consider moving from Blackburn to Newcastle to be a "sideways" move, in the grand scheme of things. Aston Villa maybe.

In the longer term, Blackburn may be above Newcastle at the moment, but not too many people will think that situation will continue for very long. Or that being a Blackburn player is preferable to being a Newcastle player in the long term either.

I think you've become a little detached from reality if you don't think a move from Blackburn to Newcastle is a sideways move.

And as for the comment about "shite little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

I've got a lot of time for you in much of what you post, but that is condescending bullshit of the type which gives Newcastle fans a bad name.

Wimbledon are bigger than Liverpool because they beat them in the 1988 Cup final ?

Notts Forest are bigger than Barcelona because they won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980 ?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

Even the biggest diehard Blackburn fan [all 8,000 of them] would concede they aren't as big a club as clubs like Newcastle, and just to prove I'm not being deliberately patronising, Sunderland too. Who are also a bigger club than Aston Villa who can't even fill a 44000 stadium.

I didnt say Blackburn were as big a club as Newcastle. I said it was a sideways move. That's a totally different thing. You're putting words in my mouth and countering an argument I didn't actually make.

We can't fill a 44,000 stadium mainly because we don't have a 44,000 stadium, it is a 42,640 stadium and it was full yesterday.

However, since you're resorting to pettiness, I've supported Villa since I was 6. 1973. Since then:

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

and I'm still prepared to admit Blackburn to Villa is a sideways move these days.

Still, you've got your big crowds and your sneering at other clubs to clutch on to.

You missed where I have said that in football terms in the long run, Newcastle is a step up from Blackburn, not current league positions.

Players want to play for big clubs. If you were a footballer, who would YOU play for, Newcastle or Blackburn ?

It's up to Newcastle to capitalise on the fanbase, and its up to the club to go to players like him and show him that we want him to play for us and we are a progressive club with far more potential than his current club and we have the intention of making our advantages count as soon as possilble and we see him as being an important player to help us to  do this.

All valid points, but to David Bentley sat there in Blackburn, right now or at the end of this season they won't matter a jot to him. He's not going to give a toss about the potential of Newcastle, he's going to care about the potential of David Bentley.

Again, there's such a chasm between the big four and the rest, that choosing amongst the rest is really just choosing amongst the also-rans. That was my point. That's why Blackburn to Newcastle - right now - can be considered a sideways move. And it is likely to stay that way for a while.

Not massively controversial, I'm just a bit disappointed you went for the aggressive, patronising route rather than looking at what i was actually saying.

I disagree.

And as for the comment about "s**** little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

It's up to Newcastle to capitalise on the fanbase, and its up to the club to go to players like him and show him that we want him to play for us and we are a progressive club with far more potential than his current club and we have the intention of making our advantages count as soon as possilble and we see him as being an important player to help us to  do this.

All valid points, but to David Bentley sat there in Blackburn, right now or at the end of this season they won't matter a jot to him. He's not going to give a toss about the potential of Newcastle, he's going to care about the potential of David Bentley.

Again, there's such a chasm between the big four and the rest, that choosing amongst the rest is really just choosing amongst the also-rans. That was my point. That's why Blackburn to Newcastle - right now - can be considered a sideways move. And it is likely to stay that way for a while.

Not massively controversial, I'm just a bit disappointed you went for the aggressive, patronising route rather than looking at what i was actually saying.

Theres also the appeal of  Bentley being a big fish in what can be arrogantly called a small pond. A move to any of the chasing pack will do nothing to enhance his reputation and star quality.

Theres also the appeal of  Bentley being a big fish in what can be arrogantly called a small pond. A move to any of the chasing pack will do nothing to enhance his reputation and star quality.

Absolutely spot on.

I think Bentley could be tempted by moves to Villa or Newcastle.  It would be difficult to persuade him, but i think it'd be worth a shot.  I think those 2 and Everton have a more realistic chance of getting amongst it, despite current standings.

give hima  get out clause if big 4 come a knocking but at ridiculous price and its 2ez

If you are infatuated with "net" spending, thats your problem.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than s**** little clubs like Blackburn. If you disagree, welcome back to the 1970's and 1980's.

Net spend is the actual amount of new money spent, it's the amount of money spent that hasn't come out of incoming transfers, if spend is the sign of ambition then net spend has to be the measure, not that I think spend is the sign of ambition.  Also, you don't need to go as far back as the 70's or 80's to find the last time Blackburn out-spent us, you don't even need to leave this decade.

We don;'t have a right to win anything, but the day we fail to recognise that we have a huge fanbase bigger than most is the day we are back to the days pre-Halls and Shepherd. You may not like that Dave, but its true.

Rubbish, we've always had some of the best attendance figures, even when we were shite we had bigger crowds than most.

if he can save spending alot of money, but buying very good players at the same time. with maybe one or two "trophey" signings but decent ones not has bins then im all for it.

just aslong as he gets out the dead wood and the useless ones who play most weekends. and replaces them with younger decent talent. enough to get us pushing for top 6 by xmas...he could always buy a few more then to push us that little bit further

i wouldnt like (personally ide love it but dont want it to happen...) him to go and spend 100mil on 28+ world class players, that has never worked for us. time to go for the good but less known players, seemed to work for man city

I really think that when it comes down to it Bentley would move to Newcastle, Aston Villa or Man City this summer for sure.

These clubs will be spending big this summer and will be bringing in quality players and at the same time he would be a big part of any of these teams, and would instantly be one of the best players in any of them. He would get an increase in wages and an even greater profile.

Blackburn have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a while now, and how long will Hughes continue to be fortunate enough to get the likes of McCarthy and Cruz in for so cheap?

I doubt Bentley would sit around waiting for a top four club to come in for him in another couple of seasons he was presented with a good enough offer from either of the three clubs mentioned this summer. Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone and you never know what might happen.

I think it is also important to note that Bentley started at Arsenal and knows what it is like not to get a regular game and he detested it. Which top four club would he go to now and be on the teamsheet every week?

He would have to put up with rotations due to the depth of quality at these clubs and I'm not sure he would be willing to put up with it.

Sometimes stars aren't what we need.

In all seriousness, if a 'star' comes to a club like us, you'd have to wonder why. Not that we're a bad club, but we're not in any European competitions at all, which is generally why they move.

The only other reason is money, and we've got enough players playing just for the money at the moment.

There's plenty of players out there who wouldn't be classified as stars, but they'd strengthen our team immensely.

There should be more South American talent over here iyam, it's rich for pickings. Just obviously key issues such as work-permits, adaptability etc being a problem.

Jorge Valdivia from Palmeras.

Would cost an arm and a leg though. Absolute quality, eye for goal, good on the ball. I seen him play a couple of times on t'old telebox. Worth another look tbh.

Guest getcarter

The point is Jenas wasn't one of our best players. But we still made good money on him when he went stale/wanted out.

I'm assuming that's all he means, not specifically getting players, making them good, then selling them off just for the money.

I think it looks precisely that, so its up to him to clarify.

I take it you agree that we should be attempting to buy players of the calibre that Liverpool do then ?

The original post is also cherry picking anyway, choosing a few players who "failed" proves nothing, paying the going rate is also what the top clubs do. If people really want the club to act 2nd rate, then they will get a 2nd rate club.

I meant what Dave said.

We have been paying top dollar for second rate players for a long time now. I want us to model our transfer policy more like Arsenal's or even Spurs not Liverpool who have wasted a s***-load of money for unspectacular players.

We need to spot good young talent. Once a player reaches a certain status it'll be impossible to sign him when the top 4 target them.

I don't agree.

Wenger is a genius [but he's made mistakes buying players, he is best at finding them and moulding them and is a one off in that respect]

Spurs over the last 10-15 years have not been anywhere near us for the most part. Its only the last few years they have spent big money when they have moved back into the top positions. Which sort of proves my point.

I would prefer us to be like Liverpool. At the end of the day, if you compete in the bargain and 2nd rate market, you will end up with a 2nd rate team.

History - and not just ours - proves this to be absolutely correct.

You should not knock the club for trying to back their managers and complete with the other big clubs. The vast majority of clubs would give their teeth for such ambition, and you fail to understand that every club wants to sign the best young talent. I fear that Manu, Chelsea etc may have something to say about your theory and become a slight obstacle to your easy guide to automatic success.

Another fact is that if a top player becomes available, and someone like Everton or Man City offer him a better contract than us, he will sign for the other club.

Kids stuff this, sorry to say like.

I think its quite sad that people have so much hatred for the old board they are completely unable or unwilling to accept the things that they did correctly. And paying the money to get the players their managers wanted, was without question the right thing to do.

Another 18 months of the last board and we'd have been bankrupt. Ashley's already had to sink a shedload of money into the club to get us back on an even footing. We couldn't keep on spending beyond our means, especially when you look at the current economic climate. The government may have nationalised Northern Rock but there's no way they'd have done the same for NUFC!

I just think he realises that if he stays put a little longer and continues to improve, a club better than us will probably come in for him. Right now we're not even as good as Blackburn (in terms of league placing, and likelihood of qualifying for Europe soon), never mind better.

I know this. But why not try and get in first before someone else ?

I realise that Keegan is the manager so its his decision, but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't want to bring a player of this calibre to the club.

Talking to players, showing them ambition, makes a big impression Dave. They all want to play for progressive club in the end. Yes the likes of Liverpool can offer him immediate Champions League footbal and the likeliehood of trophies but everyone knows that Newcastle are the ultimate sleeping giant and a lot of people will be very interested to see if Keegan can catapult us towards the top again, players included.

Keegan persuades players. I honestly don't think that footballers worth their salt wouldn't think seriously about moving here, they all know its a great football city.

I would make him my number 1 target he's a top player, he's got his best years to come and he's playing where we need new players too.

quoted for absolute trutherificationismical qualities.

top top player, and to have him on one wing and N'Zogbia on the other would be immense. then we could phase-shift Milner into the center with a bulldog midfielder in the mould of Batty and we're set. Owen, Crouch, Martins and Kitson up front and we're laughing.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn.

How incredibly arrogant. And to think you go on about having no divine right to win things. :lol:

What difference does having a large stadium and passionate fanbase make these days?

Are you serious Dave ?

Spell it out for me. Because last time I checked, nearly every club in the Premier League (and even some not) has an ultra-rich benefactor, and Chelsea who've won an absolute shitload in recent years still can't sell out their ground.

Why do manure have the biggest spending power and are recognised as being the top club in the country,  and have been for decades ?

Are you going to answer my question?

I have. Don't you believe in the potential of the club you support or understand the drawing power of a real intense, big, footballing area ?

I disagree.

And as for the comment about "shite little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

not patronising. Nobody needs to tell me that Newcastle have underachieved for decades, I'm only pointing out how I see the club and how it should be sold to players. And whats more, this is how Keegan will do it when he approaches the players he wants.

I think some of yous have been sucked in by the headline "Signings may not be stars" because when you read it all he  saying is some players will have better options than Newcastle United this summer. I dont think it is a transfer policy or certain direction the club is moving in or whatever, more like KK firing a bit of reality into the media.

If you are infatuated with "net" spending, thats your problem.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than s**** little clubs like Blackburn. If you disagree, welcome back to the 1970's and 1980's.

Net spend is the actual amount of new money spent, it's the amount of money spent that hasn't come out of incoming transfers, if spend is the sign of ambition then net spend has to be the measure, not that I think spend is the sign of ambition.  Also, you don't need to go as far back as the 70's or 80's to find the last time Blackburn out-spent us, you don't even need to leave this decade.

I know what net spend is, but I'm pleased you think we should outspend these teams every single season. Daft that like.

I'm very pleased for you also, that you again are defending the directors and their policy that left us staring at the brink of the 3rd division, a failed share issue, 15000 crowds and closure.