Tonight's International matches.

Newcastle Fan

Guest Toepoke

Modric is apparently running the show, looking class.

I wouldn't say so, that Kranjar(sp) looked like a class act though. Good performance from a much depleted Scotland team.

I wasn't expecting much after Capello dropped all the pace from the squad.

Painful lack of pace in the side, you'd at least then think the wingers would tuck in and try to play it about a bit but they stayed out wide the whole time and didn't dictate at all. Also I like Barry but he's nowhere near international standard. Also can't believe we kept Hargreaves and Barry sitting in the defensive role a few times the ball dropped outside the box and they were nowhere in sight, fucking awful tactics if you ask me. I hope we don't play that 1 up top shit again.

What a load of shit. Nothing positive to take from that aside from a reasonable Hargreaves performance.

Ashley Cole is a shadow of the player he once was. Get Bridge in there until Cole gets his fucking head out of his arse.

And finally surprise surprise, only a fifteen second (if that) mention of John Terry's shocking defending for the France goal. Lost his man completely and just gave up- top defending JT. Fucking southern media wankers!

Mind its a ridiculous time of the season to be playing an international friendly. How many of thos eplayers,s till competing for championships, CL etc were really busting a gut.

No real way to gauge the team

Mind its a ridiculous time of the season to be playing an international friendly. How many of thos eplayers,s till competing for championships, CL etc were really busting a gut.

No real way to gauge the team

International friendlies are nearly always crap. It's just the law.

I love following England when it matters, but when it doesn't, it's just utterly mind-numbing.

What i just didn't get was, when we were lacking any attacking prowess, he did right by bringing two strikers on..... and yet bizarrely, we were even less of a threat - having no link from the midfield to the attackers. Barry/Hargreaves ffs? Plus with the delivery being woeful all night, we didn't have a hope in heck.

Time of year and timing of fixture taking into account, yes, but we had absolutely nothing going on against a pretty dreary French outfit.

Best part of the Scotland match was the replay of Bilic falling on his arse as he tried to control a wayward ball crossing the 'technical area' after leaving play. At least he saw the funny side.

I wouldn't say so, that Kranjar(sp) looked like a class act though. Good performance from a much depleted Scotland team.

How did Steven Fletcher play?

Mario Gomez bagged 2 for Jormany.

Big tall lad who looks like hes got strength on him...hes also 22.

Anyone know much about him?  He's 2nd to Luca Toni in scoring if I recall correctly in the Bundesliga

I onyl had one eye on the match really but near the end there was a moment where Crouch got the ball played inside to him, about 20-25 yards out, in a bit of space. Perfect position for a good effort on goal but he just looked like he didnt have a clue what to do or where to go.

For an International striker it was very very poor

Mario Gomez bagged 2 for Jormany.

Big tall lad who looks like hes got strength on him...hes also 22.

Anyone know much about him?  He's 2nd to Luca Toni in scoring if I recall correctly in the Bundesliga

Fantastic talent. Great season so far after he was already brilliant last season. Scored 15 goals in 19 games in the league, 3 in 4 in the CL and 6 in three in the cup.

He'll move to a big club soon, if not already in the summer (depending on the European Cup), he will most likely in the season after as his manager already admitted last weekend.

With loads of really big clubs linked with him I can't see him being interested in Newcastle who would be even a step down from his current club at the moment.

I thought we looked half-decent in the first half. The new formation looked quite promising. Then we took our best players off (Rooney, Gerrard, Joe Cole) and reverted to a traditional 4-4-2. We looked as predictable and dull as any of the old England teams of the past.

Hopefully some good will come of this ie never to do that again.

Guest Toepoke

How did Steven Fletcher play?

He was stuck out on the left wing of a 4-5-1 formation, subsequently got subbed off at half time didn't do very much. I think we didn't get a good idea of how good he is tonight as he didn't play in his proper position.

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen was awful when he came on, his passing was extremely poor.

This.

Surprising, after his game on Saturday.  Then again...throughout his career Owen has played better for managers who "believed in him" so to speak -- the ones who had confidence in him and in his ability.  He's admitted as much himself and maybe that plays into Keegan's sudden lovefest for Owen.  The last year or so of Sven's "reign" as England manager, Owen played like sh***, after a falling out with Sven.  Played well under McClaren, who seemed to quite rate him.  Played badly under Keegan for England, played well for Hoddle (if you read Owen's book, he explains the "not a natural goalscorer" comment).  Not real impressive under Big Sam, playing like a different player under Keegan for Newcastle.  Solid under Houllier until the last season when there were confidence issues between the two.  A pattern seems to have emerged, that generally Owen plays better for the managers who pile on the positive pressure -- as Keegan has been (Owen can/will perform, he can/will make the difference, etc.) rather than the negative pressure (dropping him, making him "question" his place). 

Really hope Owen's confidence isn't shot, after that.  Does a single player look excited or motivated under Capello?  I thought both matches the players have looked mediocre at best, totally terrified to f*** up -- note for Mr. Capello, perhaps terrorising them isn't the best way to get a player to perform?  Uncertainty isn't good for clubs, and it doesn't look to be good for an international set-up either. 

Then again, maybe it'll work like last England match, and Owen comes back with his scoring boots on just to make a point.