Players In Your Lifetime Better than Cristiano

Tooj

What's he done then? Why do you place him up there with the likes of Zidane?

Edit: to fredbob.

Well i just think he's an amazing talent, he's already achieved a considerable amount in his short career, (CL semi, Euro 2004 Finalist, World Player of the year 3rd, 60-70 goals for Man U as a winger in 4 season(?), 20 goals at international level) For me he's proved himself to an extent at every single level, its unfair to call him a bottler because of the CL Semi final when in reality the whole team misfired), the likes of Zidane achieved personal glory at a much older age, its kind of unfair to directly compare the like s of Ronaldo to Zidane because as far as im concerned a midfileder has far more oppurtunity to control a game, and make a difference whereas its harder for a winger.

If we were to consider the greatest winger then he'd be up there with the likes of Best so why not put him in with the likes of Zidane?

Well i just think he's an amazing talent, he's already achieved a considerable amount in his short career, (CL semi, Euro 2004 Finalist, World Player of the year 3rd, 60-70 goals for Man U as a winger in 4 season(?), 20 goals at international level) For me he's proved himself to an extent at every single level, its unfair to call him a bottler because of the CL Semi final when in reality the whole team misfired), the likes of Zidane achieved personal glory at a much older age, its kind of unfair to directly compare the like s of Ronaldo to Zidane because as far as im concerned a midfileder has far more oppurtunity to control a game, and make a difference whereas its harder for a winger.

If we were to consider the greatest winger then he'd be up there with the likes of Best so why not put him in with the likes of Zidane?

Cristiano's not a winger iyam.

Not looking to bash this thread at all, but it seems nowadays people are desperate not to give Ronaldo the accolades he probably deserves. Im not sure why, but in my personal opinion he is the best player on the planet at the mo.

He's onyl 23 and is nowhere near his peak which is scary, him and Messi are the stand out talents of football at the mo and for me, Ronaldo has already done enough to be considered in the same list as the likes of Zidane and Best.

I rate him that highly.

Because he takes cheating to new heights, unlike MOST of the others mentioned on here.

Aye, Maradonna et al were absolute saints, to be fair to him he gets the s*** kicked out of him and has made a concious effort to cut down on it. No excuses though.

I haven't seen one sign of any reduction in his cheating.

He's still as bad as he was in Euro04, when he didn't get the 'best young player' accolade due to his cheating.

Zidane's been the best I've seen. Just didn't watch enough of Ronnie in his prime sadly, due to a lack of exposure to foreign football when he was at his absolute peak. Ronaldo II (Ronaldo Harder) is probably the best player in the world based on this season.

Not this season he ain't. Swapped the assists for goals.

Guest Knightrider

Shearer in his absolute prime was better.

Shearer in his absolute prime wasn't fit to kiss the arse of most of the players above

As a centre-forward he had the lot. Lets not confuse success with ability or let success and stage of performance detract from ability here whioch should always be the deciding factor in such debates, in my opinion anyway. Shearer was as good if not better than Batitistuta for example, and most certainly Eric Cantona who was good but world-class? :lol:

All about opinions I suppose though...

What makes you say that? This year to be fair he's had more of a free role whereas last year he was definitely mainly a winger, last year he was scorer and provider woith something like 20 odd assits and 24 goals, this years he's been all about the goals, 33 goals 4 assists. Primarily though i would still classify him as a winger.

http://bestfootballers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/1140.jpg

The most underrated player of the mid/late 90's. Immensely talented DM.

Your having laugh? Real Madrid captain & hero to many. Champions League MVP.

Guest Knightrider

Agreed, a forward in the classic sense for me which is good to see as I think the game needs to get back to such a way of playing, where players are not defined by roles or positions. If Ronaldo played as a true winger, or if that was his true role in the team, he wouldn't flourish as much as he has. You have to give players like him a free role on the pitch.

Not looking to bash this thread at all, but it seems nowadays people are desperate not to give Ronaldo the accolades he probably deserves. Im not sure why, but in my personal opinion he is the best player on the planet at the mo.

He's onyl 23 and is nowhere near his peak which is scary, him and Messi are the stand out talents of football at the mo and for me, Ronaldo has already done enough to be considered in the same list as the likes of Zidane and Best.

I rate him that highly.

Because he takes cheating to new heights, unlike MOST of the others mentioned on here.

Aye, Maradonna et al were absolute saints, to be fair to him he gets the s*** kicked out of him and has made a concious effort to cut down on it. No excuses though.

He's still as bad as he was in Euro04, when he didn't get the 'best young player' accolade due to his cheating.

id disagree with that to be honest, think he's reduced it massively although obviously he hasnt completely erdicated it.

Well maybe I'm prejudiced against wingers (if Ronaldo is even one), but I'd say in terms of the most impact a position can have, in my very quickly-formed opinion, it goes..

Strikers = Center mids/playmakers > Centerbacks > Wingers = GKs > Fullbacks

Maybe this will explain why all the 'greats' in my head tend to be strikers/cms/traditional #10s?

So if you're a winger, you're pretty much ruled out from ending up as a 'great' because of the position you play. So if you say Ronaldo is a winger, that'll be my explanation of why he isn't, and won't, end up being mentioned along the likes of Zidane.

Shearer in his absolute prime wasn't fit to kiss the arse of most of the players above

As a centre-forward he had the lot. Lets not confuse success with ability or let success and stage of performance detract from ability here whioch should always be the deciding factor in such debates, in my opinion anyway. Shearer was as good if not better than Batitistuta for example, and most certainly Eric Cantona who was good but world-class? :lol:

didn't you argue once that Shearer was as strong as the Ronaldo. A great striker in his prime but people take it far too far with him. He was world class for 2 or 3 seasons at best

Guest Knightrider

didn't you argue once that Shearer was as strong as the Ronaldo. A great striker in his prime but people take it far too far with him. He was world class for 2 or 3 seasons at best

I happen to think the Shearer in his prime was the best all-round centre-forward at that time, Ronaldo included. Ronaldo was the better footballer but not the better centre-forward/striker in my opinion. People underrate Big Al it seems far more than those that overrate him and how can you overrate a striker like Shearer anyway, who did have it all which is rare in players, especially strikers. I agree with your 2-3 seasons comment, but then very few world-class players maintain that type of level. Just look at Ronaldinho, or Kaka who is misfiring this season, although he'll be back.

Guest Knightrider

He is the best player in this league imo. I know this league may be up to much as Italian flops like Henry & Bergkamp were top class players in Premier league.

For me the Premier League is arguably the toughest league in the world and while some say it's easier than Serie A I based on the likes of Henry succeeding here but failing there, but I think that's a tad too simplistic a view to have. I think it's just more conducive to talents like Henry and Bergkamp, it's a league that accommodates such players and to the league's credit, makes them even better. Look at how strong Ronaldo is and his work ethic, he's got that English Bulldog spirit and that's that little extra that makes him the player he is. For me if the likes of Kaka and co want to become better all-rounders they should play here because they will improve in our game.

He is the best player in this league imo. I know this league may be up to much as Italian flops like Henry & Bergkamp were top class players in Premier league.

For me the Premier League is arguably the toughest league in the world and while some say it's easier than Serie A I based on the likes of Henry succeeding here but failing there, but I think that's a tad too simplistic a view to have. I think it's just more conducive to talents like Henry and Bergkamp, it's a league that accommodates such players and to the league's credit, makes them even better. Look at how strong Ronaldo is and his work ethic, he's got that English Bulldog spirit and that's that little extra that makes him the player he is. For me if the likes of Kaka and co want to become better all-rounders they should play here because they will improve in our game.

CHTT it was very much tongue in cheek, I think sometimes we look abroad & think it is greener when it is not always the case. Take the start of the year everyone was looking at Barca with Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto & Messi but for me the Man Utd lineup of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez & Giggs is the one to watch.

Also the thing with Henry doing well here & poor there is the flipside with someone like Veron who did well there &  was poor here.

Well maybe I'm prejudiced against wingers (if Ronaldo is even one), but I'd say in terms of the most impact a position can have, in my very quickly-formed opinion, it goes..

Strikers = Center mids/playmakers > Centerbacks > Wingers = GKs > Fullbacks

Maybe this will explain why all the 'greats' in my head tend to be strikers/cms/traditional #10s?

So if you're a winger, you're pretty much ruled out from ending up as a 'great' because of the position you play. So if you say Ronaldo is a winger, that'll be my explanation of why he isn't, and won't, end up being mentioned along the likes of Zidane.

Well thats fair enough, in the end its all about personal opinions. In my opinion Ronaldo is the perfect attacking player, i genuinely cannot see any flaw to his game and he's already achieved a fair bit so i'm inclined to say he is up there with the likes of Zidane. Hopefully Portugal will achieve some long overdue success and maybe then he'll start to get the accolades i think he deserves.

As for your ranking list, id actually put CM as the exclusively most important position. Look at nufc, its fair to say we have a decent forward attack whihc is being rendered useless because of our CM.

I rate him that highly.

id disagree with that to be honest, think he's reduced it massively although obviously he hasnt completely erdicated it.

His dive versus Derby sums him up. Dived to win a penalty in the last minute when his team had already won. Brilliant player, massive cunt.

I rate him that highly.

His dive versus Derby sums him up. Dived to win a penalty in the last minute when his team had already won. Brilliant player, massive cunt.

I had someone dive against me in a Sunday league pre-season friendly, now thats a MASSIVE CUNT!