Players In Your Lifetime Better than Cristiano

Tooj

Shearer in his absolute prime was better.

Shearer in his absolute prime wasn't fit to kiss the arse of most of the players above

but was probably for 18 months or so the joint best forward in the world with batistuta.

ronaldo is probably the best and most exciting player in the world right now and yes he is a diving ,cheating churlish twat (he has to be to fit in a the theatre of dreams).

whare i would place him above messi is ronaldo seems to have more influence on a game than messi.

Four pages and no Gascoigne. I remember him taking the piss out of Van Basten and Gullit - who've been mentioned - at Italia 90.

Baresi.

I was just focusing on attacking players actually, or else I would have mentioned Franco above all else.

Gazza was awesome that game btw. His Cruyff turns man, genius.

Not looking to bash this thread at all, but it seems nowadays people are desperate not to give Ronaldo the accolades he probably deserves. Im not sure why, but in my personal opinion he is the best player on the planet at the mo.

He's onyl 23 and is nowhere near his peak which is scary, him and Messi are the stand out talents of football at the mo and for me, Ronaldo has already done enough to be considered in the same list as the likes of Zidane and Best.

I rate him that highly.

Because he takes cheating to new heights, unlike MOST of the others mentioned on here.

Aye, Maradonna et al were absolute saints, to be fair to him he gets the s*** kicked out of him and has made a concious effort to cut down on it. No excuses though.

I haven't seen one sign of any reduction in his cheating.

He's still as bad as he was in Euro04, when he didn't get the 'best young player' accolade due to his cheating.

id disagree with that to be honest, think he's reduced it massively although obviously he hasnt completely erdicated it.

His dive versus Derby sums him up. Dived to win a penalty in the last minute when his team had already won. Brilliant player, massive c***.

:rolleyes:

Guest JamesyJazz

Football evolves as does life,would Ronaldo be able to bend the same type and weight of football that the likes of Bobby Charlton,Peter Lorimer had to contend with?Take it back a generation further with the likes of Tom Finney et all.

Dixie Dean,Gascoigne,Maradonna,Pele!

Ronaldo,imho he's good,he's protected but not yet a great because of his love of diving.

Guest Giller

Maybe it's a younger crowd who post on this forum, just surprised that Pele hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see. Easily the best I've ever seen. Followed by Beckenbauer, man you hated to see him against England but he was brilliant. Probably Cruyff after those 2. I was never a George Best fan, but look at some of the footage on Youtube (not the crappy North American League) ans you see him going past defenders who are diving in trying to kick lumps out of him and he's still fighting to stay on his feet. I'll rate Renaldo higher if he ever starts playing like that.

Guest Moe-Ali

He's had a very productive season.

11 free kick goals, couple step overs.

Dont compare him to the greatest to ever tread a green surface.

He is slowly ruining the game, diving and getting away with it, scoring goals from dives.

I dont like him.

He has a bit of skill, but overall the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

http://bestfootballers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/1140.jpg

The most underrated player of the mid/late 90's. Immensely talented DM.

Who is it?

Pretty sure that's Fernando Redondo. As elegant a player as I've probably seen, not that I ever saw a huge amount of him.

Shearer in his absolute prime wasn't fit to kiss the arse of most of the players above

As a centre-forward he had the lot. Lets not confuse success with ability or let success and stage of performance detract from ability here whioch should always be the deciding factor in such debates, in my opinion anyway. Shearer was as good if not better than Batitistuta for example, and most certainly Eric Cantona who was good but world-class? :lol:

All about opinions I suppose though...

If you're talking pure, out and out centre forwards then Shearer will take some beating, worldwide.

You talk some good stuff Coach HTT, but I can't believe someone said that about Cantona. I despised him, but he was one of the best players I've ever seen. A one off.

Can't actually believe this person hasn't been mentioned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/images/2006/04/25/peter_beardsley_gallery_460x340.jpg

How many forwards would've been ordinary if he hadn't of been around?

As a centre-forward he had the lot. Lets not confuse success with ability or let success and stage of performance detract from ability here whioch should always be the deciding factor in such debates, in my opinion anyway. Shearer was as good if not better than Batitistuta for example, and most certainly Eric Cantona who was good but world-class? :lol:

All about opinions I suppose though...

If you're talking pure, out and out centre forwards then Shearer will take some beating, worldwide.

You talk some good stuff Coach HTT, but I can't believe someone said that about Cantona. I despised him, but he was one of the best players I've ever seen. A one off.

Can't actually believe this person hasn't been mentioned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/images/2006/04/25/peter_beardsley_gallery_460x340.jpg

How many forwards would've been ordinary if he hadn't of been around?

indeed, most talented english player of my lifetime

The comparison between Shearer and Batistuta is very very fitting I find. Two very similar players with also very similar careers. Which is why I'm always annoyed at how little Shearer is recognised over here in France for example whereas everyone will see Batistuta as giant of the game.

And trying to put bias aside I would take a prime Shearer up front over a prime Batigol without hesitation.

Tbf to Cristiano, he's got a long long time to left to make his mark on the footballing world - he's only 23 so he'll have at least a couple more WCs and a couple more Euros plus the fact that in every season he'll be playing for a quality team consistently challenging for domestic and European honours. He'll have ample time and opportunity to be recognized as a great.

But, if this is his peak, then he's not a great.