Joey Barton gets six months in jail - See page 4

morgs
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Money, money, money is all that matters to me.

Bartons a cunt, we knew that before we signed him, nothing has changed now. Just because he's going to jail for a couple of months doesn't mean we should cancel his contract... that's just madness. We lose out on a 5m pound investment.

We don't lose money while he's in jail so it's no loss, if anything we are making a profit out of the time he would normally be on a beach in barbados.

I agree wholeheartly that we shouldn't have wankers at the club but we have to be cleverer than that. If/when someone puts a bid in for him.... then we can get shot but not until then IMO.

Hasn't lived up to his billing, on big wages and has brought bad press to the club. Sack him.

Also a good chance to downsize this wage bill the club is apparently so concerned about.

Bartons a cunt, we knew that before we signed him, nothing has changed now. Just because he's going to jail for a couple of months doesn't mean we should cancel his contract... that's just madness. We lose out on a 5m pound investment.

We don't lose money while he's in jail so it's no loss, if anything we are making a profit out of the time he would normally be on a beach in barbados.

I agree wholeheartly that we shouldn't have wankers at the club but we have to be cleverer than that. If/we someone puts a bid in for him.... then we can get shot but not until then IMO.

What if he comes back, doesn't play, and no-one else wants him, and we have to pay however many thousand a week?

This possibility of this must be considered.

Guest alex

I think the club should stick by him in all honesty. For not entirely philanthropic reason.

Only agree to some extent.

Another missed pre season though could mean he isn't anywhere near his best until March once again. Assuming we now have to sign someone to make up for this, we'd hope to sign better players, therefore legitimately cancelling Barton's contract to cut the wage bill on a player no-one will want and can't get into our team.

Surely you either agree or disagree.

What I'm trying to say is that a decision on Barton should be made on footballing reasons, as it could be too costly for us to get rid no matter how badly he has behaved.

Footballing wise, we have to consider how long it took him to get fit after missing pre-season. Wasn't anywhere near good enough until March. With that in mind, we need to get a direct replacement. It is possible that we are looking to sign additional players in midfield too.

If we get these players, a half fit Barton definitely shouldn't get in the team for all of next season and after another round of signings the following summer, he could be even more in the cold.

If we believe this to be true, then we need to consider whether anyone else will pay more than peanuts for him. If they won't what good is having a player on his wages going to do for us financially.

In which case, everyone would be better off if we cancelled his contract while we have legitimate grounds.

However, if Keegan realistically believes that he'll be better than anyone else once he finds fitness again, we should keep.

However, the latter scenario probably means that we haven't done too well in the transfer market....

So you agree then ;)

I don't like seeing a thug like him in black and white, these players are supposed to be role models.

I was prepared to give him a chance when he first came here and he fucked it up, so I hope he goes.

Guest elbee909

Why sack him he's look good the last few games.

"Barton knocked a man to the floor, straddled him and hit him up to 20 times while his cousin threw food at his victim. He then hit a 16-year-old so hard he knocked out his teeth. This after ten pints and five bottles of lager."

I give up.

I agree wholeheartly that we shouldn't have wankers at the club but we have to be cleverer than that. If/we someone puts a bid in for him.... then we can get shot but not until then IMO.

What if he comes back, doesn't play, and no-one else wants him, and we have to pay however many thousand a week?

This possibility of this must be considered.

He will comeback and KK will put him back into the squad IMO, i'm 99% sure of that. Even if we got say 2m for him we would make up the vast majority of those wages.

Sadly in this buisness sentiment doesn't come into it. Other clubs won't be put of because of previous, in the same way that we were not.

Sacking him is just silly IMO.

I think the club should stick by him in all honesty. For not entirely philanthropic reason.

Another missed pre season though could mean he isn't anywhere near his best until March once again. Assuming we now have to sign someone to make up for this, we'd hope to sign better players, therefore legitimately cancelling Barton's contract to cut the wage bill on a player no-one will want and can't get into our team.

What I'm trying to say is that a decision on Barton should be made on footballing reasons, as it could be too costly for us to get rid no matter how badly he has behaved.

Footballing wise, we have to consider how long it took him to get fit after missing pre-season. Wasn't anywhere near good enough until March. With that in mind, we need to get a direct replacement. It is possible that we are looking to sign additional players in midfield too.

If we get these players, a half fit Barton definitely shouldn't get in the team for all of next season and after another round of signings the following summer, he could be even more in the cold.

If we believe this to be true, then we need to consider whether anyone else will pay more than peanuts for him. If they won't what good is having a player on his wages going to do for us financially.

In which case, everyone would be better off if we cancelled his contract while we have legitimate grounds.

However, if Keegan realistically believes that he'll be better than anyone else once he finds fitness again, we should keep.

However, the latter scenario probably means that we haven't done too well in the transfer market....

So you agree then ;)

Not about philantropism, yes. That the club should stick by him, maybe not.

What two offences are they, rich? As far as i know, the dabo trial is all he has left to face.

There was something else he was up for, wasn't there? Something minor? Damage-related?

Sure I remember seeing it ages ago in a few articles.

What two offences are they, rich? As far as i know, the dabo trial is all he has left to face.

Didn't he have a falling out with a taxi driver?

Not sure if that's going to court or not.

Guest alex

So you agree then ;)

Not about philantropism, yes. That the club should stick by him, maybe not.

That's what I meant, i.e. the first bit. Obviously you're sitting on the fence on the matter of whether or not he stays though ;) I agree anyway that it's what's good for the club that matters. He'll be alright anyway, or he should be and, if he isn't, that's largely his responsibility.

Guest alex

Didn't he have a falling out with a taxi driver?

Not sure if that's going to court or not.

Aye, alleged criminal damage to a taxi.

I'm going to say stick by him on his last chance. Although only if we don't pay him any wages until hes back in training. One more strike and hes out.

I'm sure our club spent a long time working out the eventualities of this situation when sam bought him, will be interesting to hear what the club says or does....

Guest alex

I think the reason we'll stick with him is for the ones given by Rob Lee - i.e. this was on the cards anyway, KK knew that and he'll have one last chance from now on. I wouldn't be surprised if his card is marked though and we'll get rid at a time that is most convenient for the club. People sometimes forget how ruthless Keegan is when he wants to be.

I'm going to say stick by him on his last chance. Although only if we don't pay him any wages until hes back in training. One more strike and hes out.

i think that's about as much as he can ask.

i really did think when he signed he would pull his finger out and try his hardest not to be a twat.

if the club were to stand by him through this and he was to fuck up again i don't think anyone would touch him with a barge pole

A lot of American contracts have a morals clause in them.  They aren't invoked very often at all but I'm curious as to whether European clubs have such clauses.  In all honesty, if the club had adequate cover for him, I would expect them to ditch him if they could.  Since it's presumed that they don't, they'll stick by him.  He's probably on his last chance though.

Guest Stephen927

When we signed Joey Barton, we took the risk of this happening.

I think it's pointless sacking him. Keep him until he's done his sentence, get him match fit (God knows how long that will take with no pre-season and no football for six months unless theres a prison team or something like the Longest Yard or Mean Machine  :lol:), then either ease him back into the team or have him as a back up, depending on what we do this window.

Will be interesting to see if Emre leaves this summer. If he does, surely it's a signal of intent to bring in another midfielder. Sidwell?

Tough situation.

Was bound to happen, but we bought him and he did show a bit more on the pitch during the end season so we should stick by him, no more chances though. Any more bother and he's a gonna..