Portsmouth v Newcastle - April Sat 12 @ 17:15

Skirge

Guest walkerboy

as am a exile in portsmouth and have been telling everyone in my local(the shepherds crook just next to the ground) how s*** their team was a t wembley i'm hoping we give then a good old game. they've improved over the season and theres not many easy games at fratton park-they still seem to manage to get results even when their crap-seen them play birmingham and wigan recently and they won even though didnt play well.

will be happy if we draw but if we're still on a roll we could nick it.hopefully no repeat of when we played them at SJP.

Don't want to be too pedantic but I've noticed the phrases "getting Bummed" and "bummed in the face" a lot when referring to a possible rout. I suppose getting bummed is straightforward to understand (penis - bumhole action) but being "bummed in the face" raises a giggle as I conjure images of some "person" frotting/rubbing their dirty "sheriffs badge" over the opposing managers face???

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

P.S. Wouldn't surprise me if a few managers would like to be bummed in the face (Paul Jewell, Taggart - that would be great wouldn't it!!).

I think the way Pompey have been set up recently gives us a good chance to get a victory down there, as they've recently lined up:

Diop---Diarra---Muntari---Krancjar

--------Baros---Defoe

Now besides the fact that Baros is s****, it seems to me that the key way to oppose our team is to use width to pin the fullbacks back (certainly Beye) and really stretch our midfield 3. Wide players against us would also utilise drawing in the poorer tackling/tracking skills of Owen in Cm when he chases back, allowing other teams better chance to pass or run through the middle of us.

Passing/running through the middle is exactly what Muntari and Diarra are good at, however their wide players are not the type to stay wide. Krancjar is inclined to turn in onto his right foot and try and thread balls, and Diop is a DM playing out of position, and so also comes narrow. Wide players coming narrow should help as they'll automatically be turning into Geremi and Barton, thus clogging up the middle of the pitch. This could allow our fullbacks to utilise the space Diop and Krancjar will leave out wide.

Also, Martins plays left side, which is the home of slow-mo Campbell and powder-puff tackling Glen Johnson. Given enough pressure from Martins with a high midfield line supporting so that he knows if he dribbles and loses the ball he's got toon players in close proximity to try and win it back, it may give him the confidence to run at those 2 potential weak links, giving us a lot of scraps and joy to feed off.

I personally am optimistic, and say 2-1 to the toon!!

Don't want to be too pedantic but I've noticed the phrases "getting Bummed" and "bummed in the face" a lot when referring to a possible rout. I suppose getting bummed is straightforward to understand (penis - bumhole action) but being "bummed in the face" raises a giggle as I conjure images of some "person" frotting/rubbing their dirty "sheriffs badge" over the opposing managers face???

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

P.S. Wouldn't surprise me if a few managers would like to be bummed in the face (Paul Jewell, Taggart - that would be great wouldn't it!!).

I'm worried how much thought you've put into it tbh. :lol:

Guest black n white

judging by the way the season is going, my fiver is going on martins scoring first 4-1 reverse :clap2:

Good win for them tonight. Blows my "they will just be concentrating on the cup" theory out the window.

Going to be tough but will also be a good gauge to see hwo much we really have improved over the last couple of weeks

If we learned anything from the Spurs game, it's that we should keep the side and formation, even though it's a tough away-game. They should be just as afraid of us as we are of them.

If we learned anything from the Spurs game, it's that we should keep the side and formation, even though it's a tough away-game. They should be just as afraid of us as we are of them.

Spot on.

Allardyce's Pompey (a) team talk: (in the style of Football Manager 2008, where he learned the tricks of the trade)

PLAYER                     PLAYER STATUS                                                    MANAGER'S TEAM TALK           

GK: S. Harper         Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
LB: C. N'Zogbia      Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
CB: A. Faye            Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
CB: S. Taylor          Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
RB: H. Beye            Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
RM: Geremi             Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
CM: J. Barton          Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
CM: N. Butt             Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
LM: D. Duff              Doesn't seem to be listening                               (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)
CF: A. Smith  (c)      Doesn't seem to be listening                                Continue as you left off, I have every faith in you
CF: M. Owen           Doesn't seem to be listening                                (Let's try and keep it down to 4 or 5!)

Despite looking w*** against Web Brom at the weekend, they did look very good at the back. Mind you, so have we in the last few games.

Even so i can still see it being a fairly high scoring game with us snatching it 3-2 near the end. 

they just 1-0 again. christ how they need defoe. is he injured?

was cup-tied for the cup draw, and visited his family for his grandmother's funeral.  will be back for us though (naturally).

How bloody inconsiderate.

Couldn't have snuffed it a couple of days later for our benefit. Clearly a conspiracy.

Like greydos touches on, they have two players on the flank who like cut in, which suits our style. The biggest threat we would have had was having two players double up on our fullbacks but they won't do that.

Basically this means our centre midfield has to win a battle of 4 vs 3, which will be tough. However, that means the game will get scrappy, which again suits us (being the away side).

Hopefully we can rely on one of our three front men to come up with something special, as apposed to their one...... Defoe.

Although im not his biggest fan i would sway Taylor for Edgar otherwise same again

very tough game this one will be

Thanks for your input, Master Yoda.

:laugh: only realised i sounded like him after i posted it