Newcastle v Sunderland - Pre-Match Thread

Beren

Keegan: Here’s our team, Roy

Apr 14 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Kevin Keegan

KEVIN KEEGAN has taken the derby bull by the horns by revealing that he is almost certain to send out an unchanged side against Sunderland at St James’ Park on Sunday lunch-time.

And while it is hardly a surprise, the Newcastle United boss has clearly stolen a march on his opposite number Roy Keane who has plenty to think about after Saturday’s home defeat by Manchester City.

Keegan has virtually relied on the same players since the revival he inspired began in the 1-1 draw with Birmingham City at St Andrews on March 17.

He was forced to make one change against Reading nine days ago when Steven Taylor went down with food poisoning and the England Under-21 skipper was forced to pull out just before the kick-off.

And as well as his replacement David Edgar did against Reading, it was really no surprise when Taylor was recalled against Portsmouth in Saturday’s goalless draw at Fratton Park.

Keegan was rewarded when Taylor put Pompey striker Kanu in his back pocket as United kept their third clean sheet in four games as his merry men extended their unbeaten run to five matches.

It’s 11 points out of 15 as Keegan has guided United to a five-match unbeaten Premier League run to kill off any talk of relegation.

And no wonder looking ahead to Sunday’s derby Keegan says: " We’ll leave it alone, and let the other players wait for the opportunity. "Let’s see when they get that, whether they can really take it.

"We’re going forward. We’re a work in progress, and hopefully we’ll learn from the things we didn’t do so well.

"The 4-3-3 formation is still working, and still creating. We’re still causing other teams problems, and I think that will continue to be the case as long as every player puts in a shift.

"That’s what is happening at the moment, and it’s very hard to change it when these 11 players are so determined to win games, and do things right for the club."

United and Keegan were actually disappointed at only picking up a point against Portsmouth.

But Keegan did feel that it was a game that United would probably have lost earlier in the year.

He added: "I just felt we edged it, even though they had a couple of chances.

"We had a lot of possession, and played some really good football at times, but we just couldn’t find that final pass, and add that finishing touch to some good play.

"Two months ago, we’d have lost this game."

http://www.readytogo.net/archives/002227.html

April 14, 2008

Sunderland fan to collect in memory of Newcastle fan at the derby game

A Sunderland supporter will hold a collection amongst fellow mackems in memory of a Newcastle-supporting friend, at Sunday's Tyne-Wear derby game.

18 year old Ryan Robson of Seaburn has fought cancer twice, and met Newcastle supporter Jordan Thompson when they were both receiving treatment at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary. The pair became friends and got involved in fund-raising activities for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

Ryan was diagnosed with acute lymphatic leukaemia when he was six and had two years of treatment. But after six years in remission the cancer returned. After two more years of treatment he is again in remission and has been told the leukaemia is unlikely to return.

Jordan, from West Denton, underwent three months of intensive chemotherapy and went into remission. But in April last year, he suffered a relapse and needed chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a bone marrow transplant. He underwent the transplant, but after picking up an infection died in intensive care last September. He was 15.

Now Ryan hopes that supporters will put rivalries aside and contribute to the Jordan David Thompson Memorial Fund for the Teenage Cancer Trust North East. Donations will go to the cancer treatment unit at the RVI where both Jordan and Ryan were treated.

Ryan said, "We became really good friends. We used to take the mick out of each other because of the football. I was devastated when Jordan died. He was a good lad and would do anything to help anyone.

"All the money donated goes to a good cause. I would urge people to dig deep in their pockets."

To contribute to the Jordan David Thompson Memorial Fund or find out more:

Phone 0753 4284608

email [email protected]

write to 8 Gofton Walk, West Denton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE5 2PN.

Donations to the fund can be made to the fund via the Nationwide branch in New Bridge Street, Newcastle.

I hope Sunderland go 4-4-2 with Chopra and Jones up front and Richardson and Edwards on the flanks, just for the fact that it might provide us with a nice open derby game and a potentially decent football match.

I can see goals in this, to be honest, and not all at their end unfortunately... it's a very different scenario to what it could have been had we both not had severe upturns in form recently. The pressure is off somewhat and it's all about North East bragging rights now, should make it a much more enjoyable affair.

It's gut wrenching enough as it is, would have been fucking unbearable had it been a relegation scrap.

I hope Sunderland go 4-4-2 with Chopra and Jones up front and Richardson and Edwards on the flanks, just for the fact that it might provide us with a nice open derby game and a potentially decent football match.

Would certainly benefit Nicky Butt and Michael Owen if Sunderland play 4-4-2 more space in the holes that they are currently playing very well in.

Won't surprise me if Roy Keane goes with 4-5-1 like -Madras- said.

Isnt that what Fulham played against us?  the 4-5-1? And it didnt work at all?

If im wrong, my bad!! I dont remember what they played agaisnt us and aint bothered enough to look

If we were to do a thread like that, and this isn't just me being typically bias and typically anti-Mackem, but i honestly just don't think it'd turn out like that. What a load of utter shit, honest to God. "I went to the shop to get something i really needed, but the owener was a Mag so i didn't bother."

Pathetic.

If we were to do a thread like that, and this isn't just me being typically bias and typically anti-Mackem, but i honestly just don't think it'd turn out like that. What a load of utter shit, honest to God. "I went to the shop to get something i really needed, but the owener was a Mag so i didn't bother."

Pathetic.

"I hate their club, the people, their city and everything they stand for.

Everything thats wrong with modern England IMO."

Stunningly stupid imo.

I barely give them the time of day (well, twice a year if they can stay in the league)

Some good fans amongst them though, but it gets less each year i'm afraid.

Only read a few pages but I like what these two posted.

They talk about us as if we are shit on their shoes

I bought a Sunderland top in Newcastle just to see the reaction on the face of the woman selling it to me. She handled it like it was a bag of wet dog shit

Small club syndrome man, I'd fucking hate to be a Sunderland fan living in our shadow.

We don't even like all the coverage ourselves, imagine how those lot feel when we're on SSN 24/7 and in the papers every day.

Small club syndrome man, I'd fucking hate to be a Sunderland fan living in our shadow.

We don't even like all the coverage ourselves, imagine how those lot feel when we're on SSN 24/7 and in the papers every day.

What a thoroughly pleasing way to look at our irritating media spotlight. :lol:

Ha ha. :lol:

Thing is, it could have so easily have gone the other way for me as the vast majority of my family are Sunderland. The ones that would have influenced me had either died or moved away by the time I was getting into football, though, so the only real choice that I had was to go with my mates, my Granddad and my area (Wallsend) and be black and white. The Newcastle side of my family really wasn't football daft though, like the Sunderland lot were (and are - cousin still lives away but gets to about 30 of their games a season in whatever league they're in).

The thought of being a Sunderland fan since I was 5 or 6 is a fucking disgusting one, to be brutally honest, and I only hope I can say the same in 10, 20, 30, 40 years time!

Thing is, it's mad really, because come derby day I can't stand them at all, I want us to absolutely muller them, I want to beat them so badly that I won't hear from my family in Lancashire for weeks, months even. Aside from that though, respect for family history and all that means Sunderland are more like my 2nd team, although an absolute country mile behind Newcastle, of course. I know that will be hard for many to understand, but I can't be the only one can I?

My Granddad, who I never met, was a Sunderland fan from Jarrow, but he'd go to both grounds on alternate weekends and liked to see all the North-East teams doing well. I'd imagine he felt fairly similarly to what I do now, to be honest.

If they beat us on Sunday, the decent thing is that I won't get any texts at the final whistle gloating or rubbing it in or acting the prick from anyone, and likewise them from me. At the end of the day it's just football, innit? I do hope we smash them though - there's a big wedding in the family this summer, and I've been perfecting my smug face for it... if we finish above Spurs as well (got them lot in the bloodlines too) then I may well be unbearable (moreso than usual, even) :lol:

Guest eyeball

http://www.readytogo.net/archives/002227.html

April 14, 2008

Sunderland fan to collect in memory of Newcastle fan at the derby game

A Sunderland supporter will hold a collection amongst fellow mackems in memory of a Newcastle-supporting friend, at Sunday's Tyne-Wear derby game.

18 year old Ryan Robson of Seaburn has fought cancer twice, and met Newcastle supporter Jordan Thompson when they were both receiving treatment at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary. The pair became friends and got involved in fund-raising activities for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

Ryan was diagnosed with acute lymphatic leukaemia when he was six and had two years of treatment. But after six years in remission the cancer returned. After two more years of treatment he is again in remission and has been told the leukaemia is unlikely to return.

Jordan, from West Denton, underwent three months of intensive chemotherapy and went into remission. But in April last year, he suffered a relapse and needed chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a bone marrow transplant. He underwent the transplant, but after picking up an infection died in intensive care last September. He was 15.

Now Ryan hopes that supporters will put rivalries aside and contribute to the Jordan David Thompson Memorial Fund for the Teenage Cancer Trust North East. Donations will go to the cancer treatment unit at the RVI where both Jordan and Ryan were treated.

Ryan said, "We became really good friends. We used to take the mick out of each other because of the football. I was devastated when Jordan died. He was a good lad and would do anything to help anyone.

"All the money donated goes to a good cause. I would urge people to dig deep in their pockets."

To contribute to the Jordan David Thompson Memorial Fund or find out more:

Phone 0753 4284608

email [email protected]

write to 8 Gofton Walk, West Denton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE5 2PN.

Donations to the fund can be made to the fund via the Nationwide branch in New Bridge Street, Newcastle.

Good luck to the lad, with the fundraising and his remission.

I'm looking forward to seeing Keegan give Keene one of his extra friendly pats on the cheek after we've sorted them out on the pitch.

Heart says 3-1. Not engaging my head for this one - got enough to worry about without that.

Guest GAMMELL

From RTG  :lol:

"I bought a Sunderland top in Newcastle just to see the reaction on the face of the woman selling it to me. She handled it like it was a bag of wet dog sh!t."

Some one give this woman a pay rise