Roy Keane - hard man ?

Benwell Lad

Who was it that we played in the cup away (s**** lower division side) and their centre half elbowed shearer in the face.

What was great was that shearer didn't moan he just "aye he did me". For me, that's hard.

Jason ? of Grimsby.

You see, I think he would have had a right go at Shearer there too

One of the Stevenage lads wasn't it?

One of the great players of the Premiership era, shit drinker & a bully though.

Always worth watching his press conferences, he is the only Sunderland manager that has made me think "Would I like him in charge of Newcastle".

As for the Shearer incident at Grimsby: It was with Jason Whittle & Shearer was offering him down the tunnel after game :lol:

All this 'Hard man' stuff is a bit overdone - Clough was once asked if it was true that he punched Keane, and said 'No - if I had, he wouldn't have got back up again !!'...

The best story(and true)though, is about Souness(harder than Keane in my opinion)when he was a player at Boro, and Jack Charlton...

One day, the team were on their way back to Teesside after an away defeat, and the then-coach, Jimmy Greenhalgh, was giving them a rocket ; Souness was one of the targets, and took exception to what Jimmy was saying..he stood up, and advanced down the aisle towards Greenhalgh, making threatening remarks until one Jack Charlton stood up, pushed Greenhalgh out of the way and said to Souness 'You'll have to get past ME first, son !..' Souness himself related this tale, and said that he sat back down very quickly...!

So I don't think Keane would have fancied taking Big Jack on had he been in Charlton's team at that time.

The sycophantic press seem to wallow in the idea of Roy Keane the hard man and I think he himself has played it up since becoming a manager, wanting to exploit the image of the "mean and moody one" as that smoggy idiot on BBC likes to refer to him.

But is Keane really a hard man ? 

He certainly started the annoying habit of players surrounding referees after every adverse decision during his days as Alex Ferguson's captain constantly whingeing at officials. 

His most infamous tackle when he intentionally ended the carreer of fellow pro Alf Inge Haaland was cynical and cowardly and he later blabbed about doing it on purpose. Hard men normally get on with things quietly and say very little.

When he was confronted by a "hard man" e.g. when Shearer stood up to him, his arse fell out. Cowards always hate people standing up to them.

No, when you compare him to genuine hard men like Shearer, David Batty, John McGrath or even their own Joe Bolton or hard but fair Kevin Ball I'm not sure Keane is the tough man he likes to act.

Keane - pit bull or irritating yappy terrier ?  Probably the latter.

read his book.

Apparently he used to stick up for his mates against lads much bigger than he was when he was young, and invariably won.

Hate to say this but we've no idea who would have won if he had managed to get to Shearer that day he lost his rag

Fair do's but i heard stories about Shearer doing similar things when he was at school. Apparently as a lad Shearer couldn't be moved.

Guest Heneage

I never thought he was a hard-man I thought he could tackle and was a bit of a thug ala the Haaland challenge, that doesn't make you hard randomly kicking someone.

He was held back by Becks & Gaz Neville.

I have never got this hard man in stuff in football, to me boxers, bouncer, local gangsters are hard men, not footballers.

Can't stand the bloke although granted he was a world class footy player (albeit one that should have been banned for life) but for the record I think he was a boxer in his youth back in Cork.

Maybe he wasn't hard enough to hack it as a boxer and opted for the comparatively softer option of football.  As for footballers being hardmen surely most keepers can look after themselves even if they are over-protected by the refs these days?

Justin Whittle btw lads, and it was Grimsby.

yep, and Shearer cried like a little girl to the ref tbh. Anyone who thinks he came out of that and the Keane situation looking hard as nails is insane basically

Ronaldo having a go at Shearer, well I never. :lol:

I'd like to see some of these up against the likes of Mick Hartford and Billy Whitehurst mind.

Loads of stories about Whitehurst fighting gypsies in his spare time to supplement his income.

Both of those 2 would have squashed Keane flat.