Memories Of Derby Day

Kev

Guest Roger Kint

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread - just talking about it now. The Sunderland groundsman having a breakdown as he collected in the corner flags when being wound up by the Toon Army at the end of the 4-1 (think it was that game). Priceless.

Brilliant moment that

best memory is the 4-1 at there place, the 6mins where we got 3 goals was crazy - was exhausted with all the celebrating, glad we waited till the end for the 4th as i think id have been to take out by the st johns! its a great feeling being held back for 30-40mins inside the SOL when you have won

Being inside the SOL when we lost last time was awful watching them celebrating like they had won the cup while and being pelted by 2ps, home defeats are far easier to take.

The game big Al had the bandage on his head he led the team & the whole of the Gallowgate shouting "Shearer" was rather moving.

The piledriver he smacked past Tommy S later in the game was nice as well.

@ SOL when Kevin Kyle scored was horrific I just remember crumbling until someone said "IT'S DISALLOWED" sheer joy.

solano penalty...........after waiting for the wife to come in i started out for the local pub to listen to the game, headphones on, we were awarded the pen, I stopped,car pulls up and stops on the other side, a car on this side pulls up 20yds ahead ........solano slots in,my arms go up, bloke in car on the other side has his arms waving about inside the car, bloke is this side is giving his horn some (fnarr fnarr), then we all carry on our merrier way.

Sat in the Clock Stand with my then Fiancee (a mackem) telling her that he is going to score, the he was O'Brien, the score was 2-1 and I couldn't do anything but sit on my hands.

Also remember a game where we battered them at Roker only for Stan Cummins to score. We were in the main stand paddock nearest the Fulwell and I swear it must have been 1/3 full of Mags.

My best mate is a Mackem and we stood together in the Gallowgate for the Play Off semi final. He left at half time as he couldn't bear not being able to shout. I stood beside him as Tony Cascarino put them into the 3rd Division - I managed to stay the whole match.

I remember loads of derbys in the 70's and 80's but the 1 that stands out was O'Brien freekick and vague memory at Joker park me and a mate standing behind 2 Norwegians who applauded when Sunderland scored and the both got twatted and went away crying ,the play off semifinal loss on penaltys was a heart breaker but the best of all New years day @ SJP so good we had a song for it  :smug:

I remember loads of derbys in the 70's and 80's but the 1 that stands out was O'Brien freekick and vague memory at Joker park me and a mate standing behind 2 Norwegians who applauded when Sunderland scored and the both got twatted and went away crying ,the play off semifinal loss on penaltys was a heart breaker but the best of all New years day @ SJP so good we had a song for it  :smug:

penalties was in the league cup.

penalties was in the league cup.

oops silly me i try to forget  :doh:

Sat in the Clock Stand with my then Fiancee (a mackem) telling her that he is going to score, the he was O'Brien, the score was 2-1 and I couldn't do anything but sit on my hands.

Also remember a game where we battered them at Roker only for Stan Cummins to score. We were in the main stand paddock nearest the Fulwell and I swear it must have been 1/3 full of Mags.My best mate is a Mackem and we stood together in the Gallowgate for the Play Off semi final. He left at half time as he couldn't bear not being able to shout. I stood beside him as Tony Cascarino put them into the 3rd Division - I managed to stay the whole match.

Was in the opposite main stand paddock (roker end) at same match. Had gone to Sundlund on the Friday and bought about 6 tickets, wife in the ticket office asked "where for" ?, I said "close to the Newcastle fans at the Roker end" she said "do you want to throw things at them" I said no "we want to throw things at you lot" she handed over the tickets no problem. Happy days.

As a kid remember seeing them beat us home and away 3-0 in the same season - Neil Martin scored at SJP (Wyn Davies home debut) and Bobby Kerr at joker. The away game me fatha put me and our kid (in black and white scarfs and hats) in the the Roker (mixed in those days) while he went in the more expensive paddock. He'd have been charged with child negligence nowadays  ;D

New Years Day 3-1 will always be up there along with many others but for me the Dabizas goal and his celebration was probably the best memory of all.

The game Nobby scored the PEN at SAFC I went on the Monday to the training ground & got it signed by him. Was always meant to buy

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/oct2008/4/1/2DA7A7E2-0502-BA68-81868DEBC61A0DAB.jpg

& the one celebrating afterwards.

Also remember a game where we battered them at Roker only for Stan Cummins to score. We were in the main stand paddock nearest the Fulwell and I swear it must have been 1/3 full of Mags.

My best mate is a Mackem and we stood together in the Gallowgate for the Play Off semi final. He left at half time as he couldn't bear not being able to shout. I stood beside him as Tony Cascarino put them into the 3rd Division - I managed to stay the whole match.

1980 i think, till richardsons free kick that was their last win against us at their place. imaging going nearly 30yrs without a home win against them ?

I was in the Gallowgate just behind the goal for the game when Emre's scored that freekick. It went in slow motion style, he took I thought it was going so started to go up to cheer then it looked like it woul just go wide so started to go back down and then it went in.

I was also there for the game when Owen scored the pen within in about 5 minutes, scored just before half time aswell if I remember correctly.

The first time I ever watched a game in pub/club was when we beat them with Bellamy scoring within 90 seconds, and Shearer scoring from the indirect freekick.

Guest neesy111

I was in the Gallowgate just behind the goal for the game when Emre's scored that freekick. It went in slow motion style, he took I thought it was going so started to go up to cheer then it looked like it woul just go wide so started to go back down and then it went in.

I was also there for the game when Owen scored the pen within in about 5 minutes, scored just before half time aswell if I remember correctly.

The first time I ever watched a game in pub/club was when we beat them with Bellamy scoring within 90 seconds, and Shearer scoring from the indirect freekick.

He scored the penalty with his 2nd, the 1st within 3 minutes with a brilliant header from a geremi cross.

He scored the penalty with his 2nd, the 1st within 3 minutes with a brilliant header from a geremi cross.

Knew it was something like that, all the excitement during the game makes your mind scramble.

Guest Boqueron

My first ever away game was end of Dec 1967 at Roker Park -  I was 14. We had beaten Sunderland at home on Boxing Day and then drew with them a few days later.

I think it was something like 3-3. I remember we got two penalties and i think Ollie Burton scored them both. From memory I think John Macnamee got the other one but i could be wrong.

The atmosphere inside the ground was fantastic.

I remember mostly the terror of the journey out of the stadium, being pelted with bottles and bricks and trying to avoid all the scuffles that were going on.

I went to a lot of away games during the next 10 years -  and most of them involved avoiding bottles and bricks on the way out of stadiums.

http://www.nufc.com/images/sos1.jpg

In many ways this was my favourite derby day. We were cruising to 3rd and another Champions League spot. They were going down with a record low points total. The booing at the end of the match whilst watching our players (Bellamy in particular) punching the air in delight. Magic.

My first ever away game was end of Dec 1967 at Roker Park -  I was 14. We had beaten Sunderland at home on Boxing Day and then drew with them a few days later.

I think it was something like 3-3. I remember we got two penalties and i think Ollie Burton scored them both. From memory I think John Macnamee got the other one but i could be wrong.

I remember mostly the terror of the journey out of the stadium, being pelted with bottles and bricks and trying to avoid all the scuffles that were going on.

I went to a lot of away games during the next 10 years -  and most of them involved avoiding bottles and bricks on the way out of stadiums.

John MacNamee swinging on the bar at the Fulwell end when we scored - it was bending under his weight  :celb:

"Scuffles" - the Fulwell end - which was THEIR end was 50/50 during derby games and unsegregated apart from a few policemen in the middle - imagine that nowadays ?

John MacNamee swinging on the bar at the Fulwell end when we scored - it was bending under his weight  :celb:

"Scuffles" - the Fulwell end - which was THEIR end was 50/50 during derby games and unsegregated apart from a few policemen in the middle - imagine that nowadays ?

my dad always talks about that game, but for some reason he thought it was wyn davies swinging on the bar

my dad always talks about that game, but for some reason he thought it was wyn davies swinging on the bar

i was brought up on that story.

re the groundsman, heard about it, wasn't there to see it but it must've been a joy.

my two favourites would be the two liam o goals at roker. both strikes  seemed to be in the air for ages with everyone knowing where they were destined.

edit, and from the second of those  the sight of some mackem in the seats right next to us shout,scream,spit, make violent gestures for 70mins then as we could see the cops come to get him from behind, we could see this unferling for a minute or two, they were getting closer and he was stood up going purple with anger and we laughed at him.....then he saw the law out the corner of his eye about 10yds away and he sat straight down and tried to pretend nothing was happening. we all waved to him as he was lead out.

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at the match.  ;D

Me and the lads round us, were giving him dogs abuse for the ten minutes leading up to his eviction, you could see him getting more and more wound up.  :tickedoff:  ;D