Drug addicts gifted Toon tickets

Ally

Don't have a problem with it personally. I'd like to think some of the comments and reasons against it are tongue-in-cheek like.

This is stupid.  Next they'll be giving free tickets to the recently deceased.

I actually saw elvis the last time i was at the match, and he has been dead a few years, he had drug issues too, i wonder if he had one of the free tickets.

Guest Petay

This thread could title could have been written by the good people at Mein Kampf, sorry I mean the Daily Mail.

You sometimes have to take drugs to watch the Toon but this is a disgrace.

Some addict and his carer gets a seat some poor sod couldnt afford and the addict wouldnt even care if he's facing the pitch.  Bastards.

This might be off on a tangent, but when I was at school they use to reward 100% attendance with the offer of two tickets (kid and friend/parent) for a Newcastle game. I don't know if it was via Newcastle United or just through the school, but I'm sure it will have had some benefit.

Out of order. Shouldn't be handing out tickets to junkies and thieves. Bloody social workers, it is. My cousin's one any time anyone does something bang out of order, she says "they couldn't help it. It's all their parents fault."

Out of order. Shouldn't be handing out tickets to junkies and thieves. Bloody social workers, it is. My cousin's one any time anyone does something bang out of order, she says "they couldn't help it. It's all their parents fault."

My irony-o-meter just blew up.

I don't have any problem with rewarding people for trying to make something out of their shit lives.

Nobody will dare say a word - apart from me - against disabled people seemingly having the God-given right to attend because of their hard-luck story.

Where does it say they're giving free tickets to thieves?

Same old story; if you're too fucking thick to think for yourself, then you can always rely on the sun to do it for you.

The whole "we shouldn't "reward" junkies/criminals/asylum seekers" thing requires the person who buys into it to be seriously deluded. To the extent that they actually believe that the normal state of the world is something similar to that depicted in a Disney film, where everything is sweetness and light and everyone behaves in an impeccable manner. It isn't. That's a fucking myth.

Open your eyes and accept reality. People behave in "anti-social" ways, they do "bad" things, and they live their lives in the way that you - usually hypocritically - demand they do. So, given that, what are you going to do? Punish them into behaving? Well you've tried that and it doesn't work.

The people who actually know what they're on about in this area - that's not the sun or tory MEPs, by the way - understand that it requires both a stick and a carrot. To say that it's rewarding bad behaviour is utter bullshit because that's precisely what it isn't doing, it is in fact rewarding good behaviour, and not only that, but good behaviour from someone who has not displayed it in the past.

Yeah, it may seem unfair that "good" kids don't get rewarded for their behaviour, but that's a completely separate argument to this one, and those kids have usually been "rewarded" by society in other ways already, anyway.

The reality of the situation is that if society wants those who operate outside of it's normal boundaries to return to the fold, then it needs to demonstrate to them that it has something to offer if they do so. The only other way is to make the punishment for dissent so draconian that no-one dare risk it and that is simply to expensive to be practical - in lots of ways, not just financially. If anyone seriously wants to go down that road then I suggest you fuck off to Uzbekistan, Burma or somewhere equally delightful, and let us know how you get on.

A couple of tickets to the match is a really small price to pay, if it encourages people stop doing what the rest of us don't like them doing.

:clap:

People do falter and fall, not always through any fault of their own. I had a period a few years back where in quick succession I lost my job, split up with my girlfriend, a friend was murdered, my best friend died, and then my dad died too. I could easily have gone under after all that if I hadn't had a lot of support from other friends and family.

And when you're trying to pull yourself out of a deep hole, encouragement can count for a lot.

My irony-o-meter just blew up.

I don't have any problem with rewarding people for trying to make something out of their shit lives.

Nobody will dare say a word - apart from me - against disabled people seemingly having the God-given right to attend because of their hard-luck story.

I will. I take equal rights as far as the laws of physics and biology allow in general terms but reserve the right to make exceptions in any individual case, according to the mood I'm in.

I know what you mean about 'making something out of their shit lives', but are they asking who dug the hole in the first place? I know it's pretty mean-spirited, but I think there are many other groups who should be ahead of them in the queue.

Same old story; if you're too fucking thick to think for yourself, then you can always rely on the sun to do it for you.

The whole "we shouldn't "reward" junkies/criminals/asylum seekers" thing requires the person who buys into it to be seriously deluded. To the extent that they actually believe that the normal state of the world is something similar to that depicted in a Disney film, where everything is sweetness and light and everyone behaves in an impeccable manner. It isn't. That's a fucking myth.

Open your eyes and accept reality. People behave in "anti-social" ways, they do "bad" things, and they live their lives in the way that you - usually hypocritically - demand they do. So, given that, what are you going to do? Punish them into behaving? Well you've tried that and it doesn't work.

The people who actually know what they're on about in this area - that's not the sun or tory MEPs, by the way - understand that it requires both a stick and a carrot. To say that it's rewarding bad behaviour is utter bullshit because that's precisely what it isn't doing, it is in fact rewarding good behaviour, and not only that, but good behaviour from someone who has not displayed it in the past.

Yeah, it may seem unfair that "good" kids don't get rewarded for their behaviour, but that's a completely separate argument to this one, and those kids have usually been "rewarded" by society in other ways already, anyway.

The reality of the situation is that if society wants those who operate outside of it's normal boundaries to return to the fold, then it needs to demonstrate to them that it has something to offer if they do so. The only other way is to make the punishment for dissent so draconian that no-one dare risk it and that is simply to expensive to be practical - in lots of ways, not just financially. If anyone seriously wants to go down that road then I suggest you fuck off to Uzbekistan, Burma or somewhere equally delightful, and let us know how you get on.

A couple of tickets to the match is a really small price to pay, if it encourages people stop doing what the rest of us don't like them doing.

I agree entirely that it requires the stick and carrot approach, but I have a different idea of what the carrot is. I'll freely admit that I'm entirely jaded in this matter having spent the last decade working with unemployed people, and having met an enormous number of people  gaming the system for all they can.

By all take someone who's done well or desperately needs the pick-up to the game if they live and breathe NUFC, but don't make it just another daytrip instead of a movie and deny a real fan a seat. Why not do something else enjoyable and more beneficial like a day canoeing or rock-climbing? Why does it have to be the game?

I agree entirely that it requires the stick and carrot approach, but I have a different idea of what the carrot is. I'll freely admit that I'm entirely jaded in this matter having spent the last decade working with unemployed people, and having met an enormous number of people  gaming the system for all they can.

By all take someone who's done well or desperately needs the pick-up to the game if they live and breathe NUFC, but don't make it just another daytrip instead of a movie and deny a real fan a seat. Why not do something else enjoyable and more beneficial like a day canoeing or rock-climbing? Why does it have to be the game?

I'd have thought that'd be how it is, they're hardly likely to take a mackem, are they!?! ;)

There's not really a system to play if you're a smack head is there though, it doesn't really compare to being a dole-bludger.

Guest diddimz

I'm assuming that they are giving it to those that have progressed significantly with their rehab, in which case i think its a good idea, rewarding people for cleaning up their lives helps encourage them to continue it further. Sure you could say they shouldn't be there in the first place, that they are wrong, etc etc etc, but as has been said, life isn't a disney movie. People do get into fucked up situations unfortunately, and if this does help get some peoples lives back on track good for it. Instead of saying that NUFC is giving tickets to junkies, personally i think it sounds better saying that NUFC is trying to help people turn their lives around for the better.

Total non-story from a paper with a history of abusing the north. Ten years it took to get this 'exclusive', and with respect you have to be fairly thick to get your knickers in a twist about it.

The nuts & bolts of this story is Newcastle United Football Club donated 4 (FOUR) season tickets to the Government Office for the North East  to be distributed to drug and alcohol action teams, who in turn use them as part of a package for front-line support services.

The people who may get to use the tickets are NOT junkies or alcoholics but X junkies & X alcoholics on the road to recovery.

Guest toonlass

The nuts & bolts of this story is Newcastle United Football Club donated 4 (FOUR) season tickets to the Government Office for the North East  to be distributed to drug and alcohol action teams, who in turn use them as part of a package for front-line support services.

The people who may get to use the tickets are NOT junkies or alcoholics but X junkies & X alcoholics on the road to recovery.

Further to that, two of these tickets go to carers who go with the EX-addicts, and it has been happening for over 10 years without a murmour from the gutter press.

But then again, nothing sensationally bad is happening at Newcastle United Football Club at this moment in time, so why not drag up a non-entity of a story for people who are thicker than pig shit to devour and believe. What's the betting that the mackems sing "Town full of smackheads" tomorrow, just to prove that they have a reading level of your average 7 year old (well those who can actually read, and weren't just relayed the story by their semi-literate friends).