Ian Wright Quits BBC

Fugazi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7353949.stm

'Jester' Ian Wright attacks BBC

Wright co-presents an afternoon show on TalkSport radio

Footballer turned TV pundit Ian Wright has said he no longer wishes to work at the BBC, claiming he was made "a comedy jester" by the corporation.

The former England and Arsenal striker said fans could not relate to the BBC's coverage or its presenters.

"I don't know how long young people are going to want to sit down and watch that same old 'jacket, shirt and tie' format," he told Broadcast magazine.

"That's why I've said to them I don't want to do the England games any more."

A spokesman for the BBC said Wright was on a freelance contract and that it wished him well.

Wright was most often employed for coverage of England matches and FA Cup ties, the rights to which switch to ITV from August.

'Run-of-the-mill'

Wright, who will soon be seen hosting Gladiators on Sky One with Kirsty Gallacher, began presenting after he retired from football in 2000.

He joined the BBC in 2001, appearing on programmes including Match of the Day.

According to Broadcast, though, the 44-year-old believes he was "just there as a comedy jester to break the ice with Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen," whom he accused of doing "run-of-the-mill things".

"I can't do that anymore," he is quoted as saying. "People want something different."

He's no Fash like.

Wriight certainly won't be missed.

Nowt against wor Alan but there is no place in BBC TV  Football Programmes for anyone with an extrovert personality.

I actually cant think of any BBC pundit or commentator that I enjoy listening to

Guest LucaAltieri

Nowt against wor Alan but there is no place in BBC TV  Football Programmes for anyone with an extrovert personality.

I actually cant think of any BBC pundit or commentator that I enjoy listening to

not a football pundit as such but Adrian Chiles is decent.

not a football pundit as such but Adrian Chiles is decent.

Good point. I forgot about him.

Seems to talk like a genuine football fan

He's just gone on a rather passionate rant about the state of modern young footballers on Jonathan Ross. I quite like him.

I didn't realise FA Cup and England games had gone to ITV though. :jesuswept: When the fuck did this happen?

Guest LucaAltieri

He's just gone on a rather passionate rant about the state of modern young footballers on Jonathan Ross. I quite like him.

I didn't realise FA Cup and England games had gone to ITV though. :jesuswept: When the fuck did this happen?

Great, more games I'll need to mute.

Just noticed this as you mention it. What terrible terrible news. ITV shouldnt be allowed right to anything no matter how much money they might have.

Does this mean the BBC will no longer be able to shot the highlights on MOTD, with those shitty strip screens?  :weep:

The Beeb's FA Cup coverage has always been top notch, every team gets a fair crack of the whip highlights-wise, no matter how big or small they are.

ITV on the other hand, well their League cup coverage sums them up. If there's two games on one evening, the one featuring Man Utd/Spurs/Chelsea will get 45 minutes, (including 20 minutes of furious bumming of Juande Ramos and the way his superior tactics got the better of Blackpool) and the one featuring Newcastle will get about 4 and they won't bother showing all of the penalties in a shootout.

Something to look forward to anyway.  :rolleyes:

I like him. He's more honest than most. I like it when he looks like he's about to cry.

He has less of an agenda than most of the other pundits.

Being honest doesn't necessarily mean you've got something interesting to say.

Unfortunately, in the case of Wrighty.

Rarely adds anything to my viewing experience to be honest, although neither do any of the others. I hardly ever watch the build-up, half/full time analysis, it's nearly always total crap anyway.

Someone should take an injunction out against ITV broadcasting sport, well anything actually!! Wish they'd hurry up and go out of business, do they show anything worth watching!?!

Does this mean the BBC will no longer be able to shot the highlights on MOTD, with those shitty strip screens?  :weep:

The Beeb's FA Cup coverage has always been top notch, every team gets a fair crack of the whip highlights-wise, no matter how big or small they are.

ITV on the other hand, well their League cup coverage sums them up. If there's two games on one evening, the one featuring Man Utd/Spurs/Chelsea will get 45 minutes, (including 20 minutes of furious bumming of Juande Ramos and the way his superior tactics got the better of Blackpool) and the one featuring Newcastle will get about 4 and they won't bother showing all of the penalties in a shootout.

Something to look forward to anyway.  :rolleyes:

After the farce of ITV Digital, Oftel should have banned them from showing ANY football for 20 years. Loads of lower-League clubs were royally fucked over by these twats - quite a few going into administration as a direct result.

Hate them with a passion.  :dave:

Guest KeithKettleborough

Never liked him, a yob really.

Now if the smug, sleep inducing, sunbornt Gary left and Chiles took over, MOTD may be worth listening to again.