Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

Anyone else think BONTEMPI was about 15? No offence fella.

No i'm 16 get it fucking right  :coolsmiley:

You just seem to go all...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42099000/jpg/_42099436_kevin203.jpg

When the transfer window opens.

No i'm 16 get it f****** right  :coolsmiley:

What can I say apart from You're right, but I say what I feel and that's what this is about right?

Not as bad as some mind

What can I say apart from You're right, but I say what I feel and that's what this is about right?

Not as bad as some mind

There are worse I'll give you that. :lol:

Again, congratulations mate. O0

congrats Bontempi!   At the next opportunity you deserve to get smashed!  And tell remember to tell your bairn in years to come about the footballing incident on the weekend he was born!   O0

Damn right I will

Already got his strip bought.

Not as bad as some mind

There are worse I'll give you that. :lol:

Again, congratulations mate. O0

Cheers mate

so he can grow up and think, "thank f*** I never witnessed that clueless b****** Oliver write such drivel first hand" ?

I never thought of that but it's another good reason, I like your thinking.   :lol:

That fat bloke singing Blaydon Races before the game was excellent. :clap:

Should get him there every week.

some parts of the ground had to stop now and then as they were going to fast when singing along lol.

the atmosphere today was immense. first time i had sat in the gallowgate in a big game like this and my god it was loud!! only one draw back i have with it/the whole ground is the lack of songs. all we seem to sing is "newcastle newcastle newcastle"  " toon toon"  "blaydon races" etc. never seem to give new songs a go or  old ones that dont get sung no more.

Pulling fat Sam's tactics to shreds on MOTD2.

Superb. Hoep he was watching.

Those few seconds of footage form the Stadium if Light sent a shiver down my spine

Care to give a summary of what was said?

Superb. Hoep he was watching.

Those few seconds of footage form the Stadium if Light sent a shiver down my spine

Care to give a summary of what was said?

They showed highlights of how we played at the SOL when Allardyce was in charge earlier in the season, just aimless long balls played from the back, they then showed highlights from today how we passed it about.

class vs shite.

michael owen vs michael chopra

mark viduka vs kenwyne jones

habib beye vs paul mcshane

easiest derby victory i can remember, the mackems really are fuckin shite.

special shouts out to mcshane and gordon.

In many ways a typical derby game - hurried passing and hustle, but Owen's terrific movement and finish for the first goal put us in the driving seat and them on the back foot for most of the first half when we played the better football.

Two incidents were pivotal in the result - Owen's penalty was not a good one(too close to the keeper), but fortunately it had enough power to squirm into the net, which gave them a mountain to climb just before half-time. Then, when they had a spell on top in the second half(largely the result of NUFC giving away possession too easily - Barton and Geremi the biggest culprits), Harper made an excellent save to deny Jones' header bringing them back into it.

We could have won more easily after that, and after comments made about both Owen and Harper by some on here earlier in the season, those who made them should be feeling rather foolish...

Both players have been instrumental in our recovery and KK knows that AND says so, even if their detractors on here won't admit they were wrong..

I am still not certain that Owen will stay, and if not, many fans will have engineered his exit by their hostility to him when he was injured and struggling for form...

Safety is now assured and the close season will be interesting - to say the least...!

14 points in our last 6 games and only 2 goals conceded, get in!!

Thought Harper had a good game once again. I've always found him rather shaky in recent years but with growing confidence he's starting to look like a top class keeper.  :thup:

Guest rebel_yell12

For the first time in five weeks, the Newcastle match was not available for me to watch (I don't pay enough for cable to get Setanta on Channel 610 -- the bill to get Fox Soccer on 106 is high enough on what I make) so I didn't see the entire match.  Would appreciate direction to any site with good highlights, etc. -- I'm fairly sure I should remind everyone not to hotlink, just give me the site name and I'll google it from there.  If this is also not allowed, please edit my post as needed, admin, don't want to get anyone into trouble after all.

I have been able to sort of see Owen's first goal (the angles are all sh*** that I've been able to catch) which looked right canny.  From what I can see, anyone saying he was offside is off their head, making excuses, or doesn't know the rules -- or put more simply, a Mackem.  Loads of coverage of his penalty which was...less than impressive.  Still, it went in which had to be good for Owen's confidence.  Last time I can recall that I saw him take a penalty was for England in the shoot-out with Portugal in Euro 2004 (he took it right well, tbf) and no doubt he was nervous given his history with penalties.  So, as I said, good for his confidence that it went in even if it wasn't impressively taken.  Also, if I could say one (long) thing to him it would be:  Michael, honestly, stop listening to Joey Barton.  About anything.  Which one of you is the goalscorer?  Which one of you is the experienced international player?  And which one of you is up on charges of assault?  Barton's a decent midfielder, but I'd prefer it if you went with your own instincts, lad.  All in all, they seem more reliable than Barton's. 

According to the stats, Owen was a bit of a demon -- impressive work rate, good pass-completion percentage, 2 goals...my guess he earned MotM?  Was he that good, or were Sunderland's defenders just unable to cope with the combination of strikers Newcastle are able to field (so busy watching Martins & Viduka that Owen had free reign)?  To be honest, I'd expect a player of Owen's quality and experience to embarrass defenders just up from the Championship (and apparently, he done so with McShane at least). I hate not seeing the match, I end up asking endless questions.  Almost ruins my weekend.  There's something vaguely torturous about knowing Newcastle won, and being unable to watch it.  Was Beye the next-best then (some shouts for him as MotM again)?  I've heard some shouts for Butt as MotM, did he play that well? 

I'm sure this has been commented on heavily before, but isn't it gleefully ironic that Keegan is making Allardyce's signings look far better than Allardyce ever did?  He's even doing it in the famed 4-3-3 (isn't that supposedly what Allardyce favored?).  Even not playing well, the lads handled Sunderland relatively easily when under Allardyce they couldn't manage Derby and barely squeaked by Sunderland with a draw.  The optimistic part of me expects six more points from the season for NUFC.  I'd be chuffed, considering the middle of the season results, to see Newcastle end on 48 points (which I reckon would be 11th place).

Harper - 7 - Did well when he had to, other than a few moments of Given-esque kicking.

Beye - 7 - Good game for him, was able to get forward as he pleased.

Faye - 5 - Jones had him all ends up a couple of times. Not terrible, but not good either.

Taylor - 7 - Played well, with more maturity in his decisions than he somethimes shows.

Enrique - 7 - Distribution not great, but better than his last game. Not a brilliant defender, but offers more going forward.

Geremi - 4 - Not a very good player, not a very good performance. We HAVE to get someone to take corners etc.

Butt - 7 - Almost a man of the match performance. Good job he was there, though, because......

Barton - 4 - Yet another poor game from White Trash. Displayed fuck all vision, and almost zer creativity.

Martins - 6 - I don't think he's greedy as such, i just don't think he reads the game too well, and can't see the right pass. Caused them some problems, though.

Viduka - 4 - Showed occasional glimpses of adequacy, in an otherwise static, lazy performance.

Owen - 8 - MOTM. Good reading of the game, and drew others into the play well. WIsh he had a better player in front of him.

Keegan - 8 - Didn't bring Smith on, which is a bonus.

Overall: I knwo I'm biased, but they were SHITE. Jones might not be a bad player, but its hard to tell when they only have one way of playing. And their midfield is comically bad. Quinn is going to have to tarmac a LOT of drives to be able to buy enough players to stop them being relegation contenders next season.

I thought there was a high level of BS (in the other sense) in the MOTD analysis, to be honest. We're doing much better for two main reasons. The team is playing in a relaxed and confident manner whereas under Sam they clearly looked burdened by the pressure. Secondly, we look far more like scoring because the team is set up to allow Owen to ghost into the box from deep positions, and his ability to read the game and get on the end of chances has always been very good.

Keown was trying to say that we've changed from a long ball side to one that passes it on the ground, but I don't think that's right. Yesterday, we were playing just as many long balls as before, and our passing through the midfield, for most of the game, was pretty woeful.

We've not suddenly changed from Bolton to Barcelona. The relationship between players and manager has improved and the team looks relaxed, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

I thought there was a high level of BS (in the other sense) in the MOTD analysis, to be honest. We're doing much better for two main reasons. The team is playing in a relaxed and confident manner whereas under Sam they clearly looked burdened by the pressure. Secondly, we look far more like scoring because the team is set up to allow Owen to ghost into the box from deep positions, and his ability to read the game and get on the end of chances has always been very good.

Keown was trying to say that we've changed from a long ball side to one that passes it on the ground, but I don't think that's right. Yesterday, we were playing just as many long balls as before, and our passing through the midfield, for most of the game, was pretty woeful.

We've not suddenly changed from Bolton to Barcelona. The relationship between players and manager has improved and the team looks relaxed, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

Most of the long ball were passes not punts. Big difference. Sam would punt into channels. And midfield was messy mainly because we were a man short most of the time - especially second half.

Gordon £9m, McShane £2.5m, Nosworthy Free, Higginbotham £2.5m, Collins 140k, Edwards £1.5m, Whitehead Free, Miller Free, Reid £4m, Murphy £100k, Jones £6m - (Harte Free, Richardson £5.5m, Chopra £5m)

Total cost: £36.24m

:iamatwat: