Champions League (Semi finals, 2nd legs)

Tooj

C. Ronaldo the big time bottler.

From the BBC

The Argentine defender was, however, given a let off when Ronaldo opened his body and screwed his spot-kick wide of the upright.

No wonder he missed sounds pretty gruesome to boot

Connoisseur footie tbh.

Barca have maybe blown it by trying to walk the ball into the net and having too many really tiny players.

It was like men against subbuteo players out there.

Will be a cracking second leg I reckon. There have been a fair few boring first away legs for English sides in the CL over the past decde, only for the second leg to be immense entertainment. Particularly at Old Trafford, where ManU tend to get bummed by the more talented opposition.

Since when?

Im thinking Chelsea Barca, ManU Madrid (iirc 0-0 first leg). Boring first legs, memorable second legs.

Just my opinion, but from what ive seen, the more technical Spanish sides tend not to go all out attack at home, they rely on breaking the opposition down slowly, whilst Premiership teams abroad tend to play defensively at this stage of the tournament, even the good footballing sides, hence why the away leg is normally slow and a bit boring - slow technical football vs defensive football.

The home leg is another story, as the English clubs tend to go on the offensive being egged on by the more vociferous home crowd whilst the foreign opposition quicken things up a bit, and thats when the game gets interesting, as you tend to have have attacking football vs technical football, more goals, etc.

Will be a cracking second leg I reckon. There have been a fair few boring first away legs for English sides in the CL over the past decde, only for the second leg to be immense entertainment. Particularly at Old Trafford, where ManU tend to get bummed by the more talented opposition.

Since when?

Im thinking Chelsea Barca, ManU Madrid (iirc 0-0 first leg). Boring first legs, memorable second legs.

Just my opinion, but from what ive seen, the more technical Spanish sides tend not to go all out attack at home, they rely on breaking the opposition down slowly, whilst Premiership teams abroad tend to play defensively at this stage of the tournament, even the good footballing sides, hence why the away leg is normally slow and a bit boring - slow technical football vs defensive football.

The home leg is another story, as the English clubs tend to go on the offensive being egged on by the more vociferous home crowd whilst the foreign opposition quicken things up a bit, and thats when the game gets interesting, as you tend to have have attacking football vs technical football, more goals, etc.

I meant Man Utd getting bummed at Old Trafford.

Since when?

I meant Man Utd getting bummed at Old Trafford.

Well, in terms of performances, they were bummed to an extent by Milan/Kaka. Certainly bummed by Madrid both times (games with Zidane/Ronaldo and Redondo/Raul).

Cant quite see ManU sitting back at Old Trafford especially without any away goal, and even then I dont think defensive football at Old Trafford is in Ferguson's blood, whilst on the player front Messi/Deco should be fitter by then. I hope its a cracker anyway, certainly 0-0 is a good platform for that.

BBC:

Ronaldo vowed to make amends for his miss in the second leg, adding: "I've scored a few penalties in that side but today I didn't score - no problem. Now I'm going to score in Manchester."

Confident!

Very interesting article here, too:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3463322,00.html

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has turned up the heat ahead of the UEFA Champions League semi-final by saying Cristiano Ronaldo could be an even better player in Spain.

The Spanish international believes that the Manchester United winger has a tendency to overcomplicate things at times, and can even border on the verge of arrogance, but admits to being a huge admirer of the Portuguese star.

However, Xavi has also insinuated that Ronaldo has it easy in England as he given more time and space to showcase his talent, and feels that a real test of his ability would be provided by the tight and uncompromising defences in the Primera Division.

"Ronaldo has goals, dribbling, pace and a winning mentality but also he over-complicates things," Xavi said in the Daily Express.

Superior

"He feels so superior to everybody, and rightly so, that he tries things that are unnecessary.

"He could be a much better player if he was here, playing with us. I have a soft spot for him. I would love him to join us.

"I feel that at the moment he doesn't get as much pressure, as many demands, as he would get here. In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend.

"Here if you don't control a ball properly or if you kick the ball into the stands, people hate you. So you have to become a better player.

"Along with Lionel Messi, Ronaldo is the best player in the world. In fact he is in front of Leo in terms of influence in a game. The kid has everything. We are talking about physical and technical football."

Style

Xavi also gave former Arsenal star Thierry Henry as the perfect example of how world class talent can find it difficult to adapt to the rigours of life in the Spanish top flight.

"Fernando Torres is a better player over in England, with all the space he finds in front of him; here defences place themselves in their own box," he said,

"Thierry is like a horse that needs space to turn and he doesn't find it here. He has played better in away games, but in the Camp Nou he struggles.

"It is true the pace of the game between Liverpool and Arsenal was amazing, but the ball was lost or robbed every 30 seconds - that is not beautiful football.

"Football is played with the ball, it is about moving it from side to side to find spaces, to find yourself in superiority on the wing, to have little moments of magic.

"We can all be physical but not everybody can be tactically adept. That needs training and faith in that style. This way of playing has got much more merit."

Very interesting article here, too:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3463322,00.html

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has turned up the heat ahead of the UEFA Champions League semi-final by saying Cristiano Ronaldo could be an even better player in Spain.

The Spanish international believes that the Manchester United winger has a tendency to overcomplicate things at times, and can even border on the verge of arrogance, but admits to being a huge admirer of the Portuguese star.

However, Xavi has also insinuated that Ronaldo has it easy in England as he given more time and space to showcase his talent, and feels that a real test of his ability would be provided by the tight and uncompromising defences in the Primera Division.

"Ronaldo has goals, dribbling, pace and a winning mentality but also he over-complicates things," Xavi said in the Daily Express.

Superior

"He feels so superior to everybody, and rightly so, that he tries things that are unnecessary.

"He could be a much better player if he was here, playing with us. I have a soft spot for him. I would love him to join us.

"I feel that at the moment he doesn't get as much pressure, as many demands, as he would get here. In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend.

"Here if you don't control a ball properly or if you kick the ball into the stands, people hate you. So you have to become a better player.

"Along with Lionel Messi, Ronaldo is the best player in the world. In fact he is in front of Leo in terms of influence in a game. The kid has everything. We are talking about physical and technical football."

Style

Xavi also gave former Arsenal star Thierry Henry as the perfect example of how world class talent can find it difficult to adapt to the rigours of life in the Spanish top flight.

"Fernando Torres is a better player over in England, with all the space he finds in front of him; here defences place themselves in their own box," he said,

"Thierry is like a horse that needs space to turn and he doesn't find it here. He has played better in away games, but in the Camp Nou he struggles.

"It is true the pace of the game between Liverpool and Arsenal was amazing, but the ball was lost or robbed every 30 seconds - that is not beautiful football.

"Football is played with the ball, it is about moving it from side to side to find spaces, to find yourself in superiority on the wing, to have little moments of magic.

"We can all be physical but not everybody can be tactically adept. That needs training and faith in that style. This way of playing has got much more merit."

Xavi is their most important player. People talk about Messi, but I'd rather have Xavi tbh

Connoisseur footie tbh.

Barca have maybe blown it by trying to walk the ball into the net and having too many really tiny players.

It was like men against subbuteo players out there.

Do you mean players in the plastic sense? Or the human competitors? Cos i reckon i could take Ronaldo.

Think the second leg will be a good game. Well, better than the first, at least. 0-0 is not a bad result for Man Utd, but I always think you're asking for trouble if you don't get an away goal.

C. Ronaldo the big time bottler.

Pretty much a lone striker in the Nou Camp. Not sure what could have been expected of him tbh. the penalty was shocking though. But does that make Shearer a bottler baring in mind he missed a penalty against Partizan that cost us a Champions League spot, as well as one against Wolves which also pretty much ended our chances of 4th spot that season?

It wasn't even only about the penalty though, as you said anyone can miss (just ironic that again he chooses the biggest stage to fuck up), but his whole attitude towards the game and his teammates stunk to high heavens.

The way he plays with "no fear" I guess is his biggest asset and weakness at the same time. On one hand he isn't afraid to take anyone on, but he also doesnt seem to have much respect for anyone either.

I'd do away with the away goals rule tbh.

The way things are now, a 0-0 draw in the first leg is a pretty decent result for both teams and nobody is inclined to take any sort of risk. Get rid of away goals and the home team can really have a go without being shit-scared of conceding an away goal on the break.

I know that both ways have their pros and cons, but I do think that overall the away goals rule does more harm than good.

I'd do away with the away goals rule tbh.

The way things are now, a 0-0 draw in the first leg is a pretty decent result for both teams and nobody is inclined to take any sort of risk. Get rid of away goals and the home team can really have a go without being shit-scared of conceding an away goal on the break.

I know that both ways have their pros and cons, but I do think that overall the away goals rule does more harm than good.

:nods:

Add to that, that there's nothing worse than going out on away goals, it fucking hurts and never feels fair. I really hate that rule.

Away goals are fine, and provide the right level of reward to draw out the visiting team. Anyone remember the Shut-Up-Shop approach to away games before they introduced the away goals rule.

But, I would stop counting Away Goals once you get to Sudden Death Overtime, like in the Bayern-Getafe. Game ended tied (and tied on Away-Goals), so they went to ET and again the game ended tied, but Bayern went through on the OT Away goals.  I don't think its fair to count the ET goals as Away goals (That was never the spirit of the rule).  By the time you get to ET it should be enough to count goals only, and not have one teams goals worth more than the others.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=519359

A norwegian liverpool supporter went mad when Dirk Kuyt scored.

He jumped up and grabbed a beam on the roof just by the outdoor serving and startet to swing from it. "Unfortunatley" his hand slipped, and he took a nice nosedive 2 meters straight into the concrete and had to be taken to the hospital with an ambulance immediatley.

The article finishes with:

"At least he didn't have to see the second half..."

;D

Away goals are fine, and provide the right level of reward to draw out the visiting team. Anyone remember the Shut-Up-Shop approach to away games before they introduced the away goals rule.

But, I would stop counting Away Goals once you get to Sudden Death Overtime, like in the Bayern-Getafe. Game ended tied (and tied on Away-Goals), so they went to ET and again the game ended tied, but Bayern went through on the OT Away goals.  I don't think its fair to count the ET goals as Away goals (That was never the spirit of the rule).  By the time you get to ET it should be enough to count goals only, and not have one teams goals worth more than the others.

As opposed to Man U yesterday you mean?

As opposed to Man U yesterday you mean?

One game doesn't really make a good case for rebuttal. Before the away goals rule was introduced, teams did regularly go away and shut-up shop because obviously there's more of an advantage playing at home. The away goals rule was designed specifically to encourage away teams to at least try to score a goal, and from what I've seen, it does work (i.e. away teams do look to score). Unless you have some statistical evidence (which would be interesting if someone was that bored) that says otherwise, I think it's going to stay.

Guest Knightrider

I was embarrassed by Man Utd, a so-called elite team struggling so woefully to keep any form of possession in what was a pretty low tempo game against a flippy-floppy Barcelona side. Very poor game I thought and typical of today's climate where even two of your best footballing teams are overcome by hype, financial stakes and fear of losing in an overriding negative way. I wasn't expecting a classic and there is still another game to come to turn it on for both sides, but I expected more from those sides and the players on show. I expected more from Fergie too. They will go out now I feel as they needed an away goal as Barca will score at Old Trafford. Anyway I hope for a Chelsea-Barcelona final, with Barca humiliating them.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/2011/messizv8.jpg http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3042/cronas9.jpg

#If you are what you say you are, a superstar, then have no fear, the crowd is here and the lights are on - and they want a show... :ken:

Guest Brummiemag

I think away goals should only count after extra time, so that for example if its 1 1 at full time tonite then the game should go into extra time. The way it stands now Barcelona would would go through after 90 minutes if the score was 1 1. After saying that I won't be too upset if that happens in this particular game!