How important is Europe from a players viewpoint?

Minhosa

In some respects I'm wondering this on the back of the Modric thing but more generally how important is Europe for players when they're looking to move clubs?

Is the UEFA cup really that much of a drawer? Yes it's another opportunity to win a trophy and there's a bit more TV coverage but would playing in the UEFA be enough to change the mind of player choosing between two clubs?

I can understand the drawer/pull of the champions league because the player would be pitting his wits against the best there is, in the latter stages of the competition anyway, but I'm not too sure about the UEFA.

On top of that is the financial side. I would go along with the commonly held view that players are paid a fuckload of cash to do the best job in the world, however it is a short career and cash seems to be king for many of them. Would they take less money to be playing in Europe every week, if it's that important to them?

And, the most important question of all, is the lack of european football going to hinder us when it comes to top level targets this summer?

UEFA Cup isnt as imporatnat as being competitive in the premier league

players only want to play at the highest level they can, for one reason,, raise thier profile ahead of thier next contract renewal.

other than that, dout they give a sh!t about playing in europe, would rather be playing out during the week

I think its very imporant for a player, not so much the glamour of the competition but the fact that you are effectively testing yourselves as a player against the "2nd  tier of European football" of teams in Europe, its more games for the player as well and possilby more chance for cash and it a marked level of achievement in your relative league which shows that your are going somewhere.

A team that isnt in Europe cant as effectively prove there ambitions as a club that is in Europe, the club without would have to rely on words and money to help prove there ambition and that maybe more of a gamble for a player who can choose a club which already has European football in the bag and would by naturally hope to progress as a club with European qualification in the bag.

It might have an effect if it's CL but not the UEFA!! I think the thing with the Modric transfer is the Mamic brothers. They'll have decided who he goes to and if Spurs have offered more transfer money and slightly better personal terms they'll have decided he goes there. Bit shit but hey-ho!!

To some players its all that matters but not all of them, I think we could have had Modric if we had met the fee, so he seemed to be one of those that was not bothered about European footy..

I think its very imporant for a player, not so much the glamour of the competition but the fact that you are effectively testing yourselves as a player against the "2nd  tier of European football" of teams in Europe, its more games for the player as well and possilby more chance for cash and it a marked level of achievement in your relative league which shows that your are going somewhere.

A team that isnt in Europe cant as effectively prove there ambitions as a club that is in Europe, the club without would have to rely on words and money to help prove there ambition and that maybe more of a gamble for a player who can choose a club which already has European football in the bag and would by naturally hope to progress as a club with European qualification in the bag.

Is the correct answer.  :clap:

Anyone going for the Intertoto this year?

Everyone is. Villa, Man City, Everton, Blackburn and Pompey have all applied. So no chance for us.

I think Europe is extremely important for a player. Even Big Sam said last summer a lot of palyers were turning us down last summer bacause of lack of European football.

Guest optimistic nit

I don't think the UEFA cup is important these days, not since they royally fucked it up by changing the format.

I do think that London location is a massive, massive advantage, though.

as long as you have a good club i dont think it makes a massive difference. i bet if given the choice a lot of the worlds players would choose manu or even liverpool over arsenal or chelsea, they are not in london, but have great histories. your club just needs its own selling point. london is undoubtably one, but i don't think it gives a massive advantage. the chance to play under a good manager, a club on the up, a great stadium and many other things could be bigger pulls than london imo.

from a foreign perspective though, unless you fanatical and watch a lot of premiership football whether a club is in europe or not could vastly increase how much you know about the club and how good you percieve a club to be. its similar with me and la liga. i know all the main clubs (real, valencia, barca, deportivo (not so much now) etc...) but if you asked me which teams were the next in line i'd probably mention those in the uefa cup this year (although i play fm quite a bit, so get a bit of knowlage from there).

I don't think the UEFA cup is important these days, not since they royally fucked it up by changing the format.

I do think that London location is a massive, massive advantage, though.

as long as you have a good club i dont think it makes a massive difference. i bet if given the choice a lot of the worlds players would choose manu or even liverpool over arsenal or chelsea, they are not in london, but have great histories. your club just needs its own selling point. london is undoubtably one, but i don't think it gives a massive advantage. the chance to play under a good manager, a club on the up, a great stadium and many other things could be bigger pulls than london imo.

It gives an advantage if the club isn't a 'brand' (like Man Utd or Real). From a foreigner's point of view, when you think of England you think of London. It is the freaking cultural capital of the world so not only do you get all the bright lights/fancy stores but there's a good chance that there'll be a community of your compatriots settled in London, and that is always helpful and wanted.

Don't think the UEFA Cup means much, tbh. No one watches the fucking thing, it's full of shite, and only gets competitive in the quarter-finals. It's a fillip, but I'd say it pales in comparison to dosh and even location.

Guest Stephen927

Depends on the individual player. If I was a player with a choice between a club in Europe and a club not in Europe, I would look at the potential of both clubs, for example even though Blackburn have been in the UEFA, I would have went to Newcastle at the beginning of the season as we have the potential to be pushing on for more than the UEFA imo.

I can understand Modric wanting to get onto the European stage with Spurs rather than just playing in the Premiership with us. We're two years from Europe, whereas Spurs have it next season, so theres a bit more stability at Spurs than us at the moment in terms of what has been achieved.

I think Ramos would have been a bigger draw to him than Keegan.

These days, money is all that really matters, unfortunately. If you wave enough cash in front of most players, they'll join. However there are a few players, those that really love the game, who make it a priority to take their game as far as possible.