Scousers want Harper?

OzzieMandias

Newcastle set to rebuff Liverpool offer for Harper

Newcastle United are poised to try and rebuff an offer from Liverpool for Steve Harper this summer. With Scott Carson, currently on loan at Aston Villa, expected to leave Anfield before August, Rafael Benítez is understood to be keen on signing Harper and asking him to challenge Jose Reina for a first -team place.

A boyhood Liverpool supporter, the 33-year-old Harper has devoted his entire career to Newcastle but spent most of it as understudy to Shay Given. However, with Given having been sidelined with groin trouble for prolonged periods in recent months, Harper has made 17 Premier League appearances this season and impressed greatly.

Next season though Given will have recovered from recent groin surgery and Harper - who has one year remaining on his current contract - may find himself back in Newcastle's reserves. With question marks hovering over not only Carson's but Benítez's and Reina's futures at Anfield, the mooted bid for Harper may never materialise, but Kevin Keegan is sufficiently concerned to have today stressed his desire to keep the goalkeeper.

"I'm not surprised if other teams are interested in Steve, he's a very, very, good goalkeeper," said Newcastle's manager, who will hope his board opt to offer Harper a contract extension. "I'm definitely not looking for him to go - but I'm sure he'll come and see me if Liverpool come knocking on his door.

"Everyone here has always known how very good he is, but it has always been hidden by the fact that Steve has not played much. He's been here since I was manager last time but he's just played his 100th [first-team] game for the club."

Meanwhile Shola Ameobi, currently on loan at Stoke from Newcastle, will make that switch permanent in a £4m transfer once Tony Pulis's side's anticipated promotion from the Championship is confirmed. Ameobi seemingly annoyed Keegan - who is pursuing Manchester City's defender Richard Dunne and has expressed an interest in Chelsea's Steve Sidwell - by asking to be allowed to miss a reserve game as it coincided with a rehearsal for his impending wedding, but has apparently impressed Pulis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/apr/29/newcastleunited.liverpool

Couple of weeks old now this news, i reckon there's fuk all in it, Liverpool would be crazy to get rid of Carson, they might as well let him challenge Reina, he'd have his spot imo.

Why bother? He's stuck around all this time and is now finally getting the games he's always stayed for; playing well too.

It's not like they're particularly closer to winning the league than us.

Edit - by that obviously I mean they aren't title contenders IMO, not that they're not bigger and better than us.

Couple of weeks old now this news, i reckon there's fuk all in it, Liverpool would be crazy to get rid of Carson, they might as well let him challenge Reina, he'd have his spot imo.

Carson is shite. If you'd asked me if I'd have swapped him for Harper for the rest of the season a few months ago, I'd have had your hand off.

He also doesn't want to be second fiddle anywhere, so he won't want to stay there.

Carson is shite. If you'd asked me if I'd have swapped him for Harper for the rest of the season a few months ago, I'd have had your hand off.

He also doesn't want to be second fiddle anywhere, so he won't want to stay there.

Weren't you during the transfer (winter) window you were hoping for a double swoop (£20m IIRC) for him and Crouch?

Weren't you during the transfer (winter) window you were hoping for a double swoop (£20m IIRC) for him and Crouch?

I said I'd heard there was going to be one, not that i was hoping for it (although Crouch I would).

Carson was fine till his England cock up, and since then has been woeful. Robinson style fall from grace.

I said I'd heard there was going to be one, not that i was hoping for it (although Crouch I would).

Carson was fine till his England cock up, and since then has been woeful. Robinson style fall from grace.

TBF Harper has been terrible for years. he's been average at the very best until this season.

If Liverpool want him as backup (and i think he might possibly want to go because he was a pool fan as a lad) then i'd happily take Carson off their hands. Harper at Carson's age was comical.

If they come in with decent money then we should take it.

He's not bad but far from irreplaceable.

When this rumour first surfaced a few weeks ago there was paper talk of a bid of £500k.

If they come in with decent money then we should take it.

He's not bad but far from irreplaceable.

When this rumour first surfaced a few weeks ago there was paper talk of a bid of £500k.

I'd hold out for £550k. ;)

They can fuck right off tbh. They won't come in with an offer that we absolutely have to accept, not in our situation. We need to concentrate on positions elsewhere in the squad, rather than create new problems for ourselves. He's a good goalkeeper and the best at the club atm, let's not forget.

I highly doubt Keegan would let Harper go anyway; nor would Harper really want to.

Next. :D

Got to say, would jump at the chance if I was Harper.  What, with him being a Liverpool supporter etc, the chance to play in the CL, to be honest, he'd be mad to stay.  Last few years of his career and all that. 

Got to say, would jump at the chance if I was Harper.  What, with him being a Liverpool supporter etc, the chance to play in the CL, to be honest, he'd be mad to stay.  Last few years of his career and all that. 

To go and sit on the bench? He'll never get a regular game unless Reina is injured for a long period, just can't see it.

I'd rather sit on theirs, than ours. Unless Keegan has whispered something in his ear regarding Given, I can't see why he wouldn't think normal service would resume come the new season.  I know everyone's taken to Harper and his recent performances, but still.

I'd rather sit on theirs, than ours.  Unless Keegan has whispered something in his ear regarding Given, I can't see why he wouldn't think normal service would resume come the new season.  I know everyone's taken to Harper and his recent performances, but still.

I don't think Given should just walk back in, Harper has been doing a fine job, Given should earn his spot just like every body else has to.

I'd rather Harper was in goal for us than Given, Harper hasn't been terrible for years he just hasn't had a good run of games in which to prove himself.

Agreed, Mick - I'm not surprised that Harper is attracting interest from other clubs ; in my opinion he is a steadier keeper than Given all round.He may not be quite as eye-catching at reflex saves, but even some of these have been top-drawer this season.

He should have been given a longer run in the side over the years, but still probably has at least 4-5 good years left in him and I wouldn't sell unless we had a really top-class replacement - where is one of these ?

I hope no-one is going to suggest Jaaskelainen..

The fact that KK has tried to ward off the sale shows that he regards Harper as a necessary part of his plans and probably now rates him above Given - rightly.

There's no way Harper will want to leave.  There's a reason why the lad has hung around at Newcastle for so many years even though he's barely gotten a game...  He loves the club and must be ecstatic at the moment to finally be getting a run in the side.

As for "TBF Harper has been terrible for years. he's been average at the very best until this season."..

Complete and utter bollocks!!!!!!!  Seriously mental comment IMO.

There's no way Harper will want to leave.  There's a reason why the lad has hung around at Newcastle for so many years even though he's barely gotten a game...  He loves the club and must be ecstatic at the moment to finally be getting a run in the side.

As for "TBF Harper has been terrible for years. he's been average at the very best until this season."..

No its not.

And the reason why he's been happy to sit on the bench for so long as he's not been good enough to command a 1st team spot for the best part of his career, here or at any other regular EPL club.

No its not.

And the reason why he's been happy to sit on the bench for so long as he's not been good enough to command a 1st team spot for the best part of his career, here or at any other regular EPL club.

Yes.. it is.  Either you're massively under rating Harper, or massively ove rating the rest of the leagues keepers, or a bit of both.  I mean common, take a look around at the Premiership and check out some of the keepers you claim would definitely keep Harper out..

Was the first time you saw Harper the time when he slipped and got beaten by Alonso's long range shot or something?  Because appart from that he's been extremely solid every time he's been called upon.