Kenny Dalglish

Tooj

Guest johnson293

I'd take just about anyone right now.  We need someone and we need someone fast.

^ This TBH!

The team needs some sort of guidance - but still not sure a short-term manager is the answer, as the players will still know theres the air of uncertainty around the club while its still up for sale, and any manager who comes in could be replaced at (pretty much) any time.

Want-away Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is lining up a sensational return for former manager Kenny Dalglish. The ex-Scotland and Liverpool striker took charge at St James's Park after Kevin Keegan left the club back in 1997. (Daily Star) :doh:

Almost makes sense.  He's going to get a decent amount of respect from the press & players (fans might be another matter though).  And he'd probably be able to work with the whole DoF malarkey we have going on.

As a short-term appointment I could see it working.

He did that DOF crap at Celtic didn't he? With John Barnes as the manager, around the time that Inver Cally Thistle whacked Celtic in the cup, and we had the best ever back page headline "SUPER CALLY GO BALLISTIC, CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS!"

As I remember Barnes did almost everything (badly) at Celtic whilst Kenny spent his time on the golf course.  I seem to remember that there were later rumours that Barnes never (or at least very rarely) asked for advice on the team and ended up running the team in much the same manner that Gullit ran us in that he couldn't really understand why other players weren't as good as he was.

Ironically, Dalglish's "5 year plan" for us revolved around us bringing in a lot of youngsters for little money and bringing them through the ranks in much the same way that Ashley wanted/wants to do with us so bringing in Dalglish on a short-term contract to turn things around may work in the long run should he be able to get the team winning again and if Ashley can't find a satisfactory buyer.

Yes, but he DID spend big bucks when he could at NUFC - brought in Hamann for 5m(sold for 7m by Gullit), Solano for about 3m I think, Tomasson was about 6m(went on to be a great player for AC Milan), Given too(can't remember the fee)....I am sure he would have done OK if Shearer hadn't got injured at Everton or the club hadn't agreed to sell Ferdinand ; Dalglish was under pressure to agree to the sale because of Sir Les' age and the 6m fee Spurs had agreed to pay...it turned out to be the worst 6m we ever got, because it cost us a whole season of progress.

The players apparently liked KD, it was the Press who had it in for him because he was dour with them.

The trouble now is that he is getting on a bit & doesn't need the money OR the hassle - however, these are desperate times and desperate times need desperate measures...who knows ? Stranger things have happened..

Is this really a possibility or are the press just throwing names out there as there is no information coming from the club.

I just dont see why Dalglish would a) want to come back and b) come back at this time.

Had him as having more sense than that.

Yes, but he DID spend big bucks when he could at NUFC - brought in Hamann for 5m(sold for 7m by Gullit), Solano for about 3m I think, Tomasson was about 6m(went on to be a great player for AC Milan), Given too(can't remember the fee)....I am sure he would have done OK if Shearer hadn't got injured at Everton or the club hadn't agreed to sell Ferdinand ; Dalglish was under pressure to agree to the sale because of Sir Les' age and the 6m fee Spurs had agreed to pay...it turned out to be the worst 6m we ever got, because it cost us a whole season of progress.

The players apparently liked KD, it was the Press who had it in for him because he was dour with them.

The trouble now is that he is getting on a bit & doesn't need the money OR the hassle - however, these are desperate times and desperate times need desperate measures...who knows ? Stranger things have happened..

Tomasson was 2.5m I think, was a pretty low amount & he was a very highly rated player when we bought him.  Hamann may or may not have been bought by Dalglish, I'm certain that there was some talk about him being bought by the board with Dalglish's later OK.

Dalglish did start out playing some very nice football, but with the sale of Ferdinand & Shearer's injury he gradually went back to safety first football that was pretty ineffective & crap to watch.  That season could have been very different if Shearer hadn't been injured.

He was certainly slaughtered by the press who couldn't quite work out why a guy who was with Liverpool for Heysel & Hillsborough might have a problem with the temporary stands at Stevenage.  Things went downhill from there.  Didn't he call Anal Oliver a fat cunt during a press conference?  If he was to take charge again he'd need good a PR person to do his talking, in fact it wouldn't be a bad thing for the club to hire a decent PR person no matter who takes over.

The thought of Dalglish back in charge chills my spine. He is the Anti-Keegan. His sides were always set out with fear of the opposition the biggest factor. No thanks.

shit scared of Barcelona we were

The exception that proves the rule unfortunately.

The thought of Dalglish back in charge chills my spine. He is the Anti-Keegan. His sides were always set out with fear of the opposition the biggest factor. No thanks.

shit scared of Barcelona we were

Can you please remind me how we did overall that season and how good the rest of our performances were?

s*** scared of Barcelona we were

Can you please remind me how we did overall that season and how good the rest of our performances were?

We were exceptional. Won the league didn't we?

If we're looking for a short-term option until the club is sold, then we're not going to be spoilt for choice and KD might be a reasonable bet. I wouldn't go for him as a long-term option though.

He actually took over from Keegan at a difficult time, I always thought. The team had already peaked and needed rebuilding, but the money was a lot more restricted. Expectations were still high though and I think the pressure got to him and the team, which began to look very inhibited.

I don't know how to assess him as a manager, because at Liverpool he inherited a very good backroom staff who just kept the system going, and at Blackburn, Ray Harford did a lot of the work.

I also seem to remember that first time round it all ended after a row with the Chief Exec, after which there was a dispute about whether he had quit or had been sacked. Spooky.

Still, look on the bright side. Terry Mac could be back.

Guest johnson293

The Barcelona game was 97/98 was it not?

Yep, September 1997 - I was at an Oasis Concert at the Arena that night  :blush:

But, yes - it was 'his' team that played that night.

Just think at how he would solve all our defensive problems.

yep, defensive negative football,sideways passing like in the old Dalglish days at NUFC.....we played some of the most boring negative football I`ve witnessed when that muppet was in charge (when he brought in his own players)

Sigh..... he completely destroyed that team when all that was needed was 2 decent centre halves :'(

If only Sir Bobby hadn`t turned us down that time for his loyalty to Barca how things might have turned out different

yep, defensive negative football,sideways passing like in the old Dalglish days at NUFC.....we played some of the most boring negative football I`ve witnessed when that muppet was in charge (when he brought in his own players)

Sigh..... he completely destroyed that team when all that was needed was 2 decent centre halves :'(

If only Sir Bobby hadn`t turned us down that time for his loyalty to Barca how things might have turned out different

i wonder if he will bring back rush and barnes to play up front again.

Guest johnson293

Aye, I remember when KD took over from KK - actually thought he would be the perfect man for the job - we were sitting there/thereabouts top of the Premiership (I think), and after KK losing it to Fergie at the end of the previous season, we now had a manager who had 'been there - done it' with Liverpool and Blackburn, and someone who wouldn't be phased by Fergies mindgames.

But, it just didn't work out!

His 'Dads Army' signings (Pearce, Barnes, Rush) didn't help much either!