Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Raúl has an official offer to go play for NYRB after this season, and Real would let him go on a free (or maybe some marketing kickbacks in the MLS). They are matching his wages at Real (which are quite high, €7m net, 3rd highest at Real). Madrid would be quite happy to let him go "honorably" and save them the dressing room politics and the gigantic wages for a player who's no longer a starter.

Rumor is NYRB also wants Henry and Paolo Maldini... do they want to make another New York Cosmos?

That documentary on the Cosmos is class btw. Definitely worth a watch.

Yeah, it brought back a lot of memories. Things I had forgotten. I was a little kid in the late 70s and the film is a useful reminder to those who were not around at the time (either too young or in Europe) what a huge star Georgio Chinaglia was.

As a kid, I didn't know Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Best or Alberto or any of the other stars that had come to retire on a big fat paycheck from a hole in the ground.  Chinaglia was the player that we all emulated on the playground. Sure, the US media was a 24-hour Pele circus, but on the playground Chinaglia was king. Really.

"Once In A Lifetime" - yes, seek it out.

Great documentary, and Chinaglia comes across as an absolute penis in it. The man had an ego the size of a house. A really big house.

That's because Chinaglia was/ is an absolute penis. From what I've read, he's lucky not to be in prison now for fronting a mob attempt to buy Lazio. Still, the moment in the film where we've just heard everyone under the sun talk about him being a prick and he says "I don't give a shit" is priceless.  That's him all over.

Several times I think yank soccer football commentators are retired wrestling commentators or something.

Never thought about that before, but it would be excellet to have good ol' Jim Ross commentating a PL match :lol:

Man U linked with Joe Cole, probably nowt to it but he's out of contract in the summer and yet to agree a new deal.

If there's one English play I'd love to see play abroad it's Joe Cole like. I'd have no doubt he'd be able to cope abroad as he has ample technical ability, would love to see him go somebody like Inter, AC, Madrid or Barca etc.

Man U linked with Joe Cole, probably nowt to it but he's out of contract in the summer and yet to agree a new deal.

If there's one English play I'd love to see play abroad it's Joe Cole like. I'd have no doubt he'd be able to cope abroad as he has ample technical ability, would love to see him go somebody like Inter, AC, Madrid or Barca etc.

I'd like to see Gerrard play abroad

Not bothered where, just as long as they have cannibals I'll be happy

Marca reporting today that Real Madrid has informally contacted Mourinho to gauge his interest in managing them. Same reports says Mourinho has reacted "favourably".

Barcelona papers - bless'em - are carrying the rumour that the chosen replacement for Pellegrini is... Rafa Benítez  :lol:

Marca reporting today that Real Madrid has informally contacted Mourinho to gauge his interest in managing them. Same reports says Mourinho has reacted "favourably".

Barcelona papers - bless'em - are carrying the rumour that the chosen replacement for Pellegrini is... Rafa Benítez  :lol:

Benitez would be sacked after one season at Madrid.

He was heavily linked to Real after his Valencia stint, but went to Liverpool instead. He is a Real boyhood fan, though, and started his career with them.

I think he's been found out as a manager. All he had going for him was his prozone and rotation tinkering which was fairly novel in the early 2000s, but that seemed to be everything he had to offer. And zonal marking.

Bernd Schuster, in a radio interview yesterday, said that "some people" at Real Madrid vetoed the signing of Villa when he was in charge. He didn't say names but when the interviewer said "Raúl", he sidetracked quite notoriously (it is known that Raúl can't stand Villa since their times together in the Spain team)

Villa is being currently linked to Manchester United for the summer.

Diego Arismendi has gone on loan to.....Brighton!!!!

He joined Stoke for a fee that would rise to £5million as well.

who?

hehehe that's what i thought after looking for him on wikipedia  ;D

uruguayan international that signed for stoke in the summer

Poor man's Nacho, like :p.

Diego Arismendi has gone on loan to.....Brighton!!!!

He joined Stoke for a fee that would rise to £5million as well.

who?

uruguayan international that signed for stoke in the summer

16th in League 1 as well. I`m sure having South American coaches in Gustavo Poyet and Taricco there helped a great deal