Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Is it not to create 2 squads for League and Champions League success? I know they hardly need it given the last few seasons, but it must ware on the players.

We really don't have much depth. The treble season was almost miraculous regarding injuries. Getting another talented midfielder allows a lot of options regarding rotations, since shipping Iniesta out wide allows us to play Villa central for example and rest Zlatan, Pedro can then cover for Messi (his first role when breaking out into the team), etc... also Cesc has more goal on him than Xavi or Iniesta (Xavi is still better at controlling a game, something that comes with experience) which would be another option if we have problems breaking teams that set out defensively.

James Milner. 27.5 million by all accounts.

:lol: Jesus wept.

Imagine how much Gazza or Beardsley would be worth.

I was never as much a Beardsley man as I was a Gazza man, so dunno, but even ignoring the MilnerLescott distortion, Gascoigne, for me, would be 50m plus, easily.

Beardsley wasn't as naturally gifted as Gazza, but he made so much more of the ability he had.  He was a bit of a one off IMO, a player with amazing talent and work rate who was brimming with enthusiasm and gave everything every time he stepped out on the pitch.  That's not a combination I think I've seen since, he'd be priceless today.

Guest geordienorway

Local paper over here reports that there has been contact between Schalke and Rosenborg regarding Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

Local paper over here reports that there has been contact between Schalke and Rosenborg regarding Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

He's a Newcastle fan, isnt he?

;)

We should sign him then!  :frantic:

Some cracking players used to come out of the North East. Wonder what happened to that production line...

Kids began to play on computers - schools no longer push football or competitiveness in general in sport.

Scotland also had a reputation for producing good players ; how many have made it in the PL in recent years?

Nobody like Dalglish has emerged for years.

Prosperity kills off football hot-beds - even Brazil are not producing the brilliant players they once did because many youngsters no longer need to play to get out of poverty. There is still too much poverty in that country though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Some cracking players used to come out of the North East. Wonder what happened to that production line...

Kids began to play on computers - schools no longer push football or competitiveness in general in sport.

Scotland also had a reputation for producing good players ; how many have made it in the PL in recent years?

Nobody like Dalglish has emerged for years.

Prosperity kills off football hot-beds - even Brazil are not producing the brilliant players they once did because many youngsters no longer need to play to get out of poverty. There is still too much poverty in that country though.

That's changing dramatically, and I expect to improve even more so over the next 5 years. More and more schools are building 'Football Academies' as part of development, running American style scholarship schemes to aid learning. I was amazed when I saw how many schools were looking for Football Coaches on a random job search last week. Pleasantly surprised.

Yes they are. They're just different types of player and not the trademark 'Brazillian'

Guest Heneage

Sulejmani on loan at West Ham. I love him, hope he can pick up his career (even though it's bad for your interests)

:no: