Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Jo to City completed today, in case it's not already been mentioned.

New Man City striker Jo

Jo is Manchester City's record signing

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Brazilian striker Jo for an undisclosed club record fee.

The 21-year-old CSKA Moscow star is the first signing by City boss Mark Hughes since his arrival at Eastlands.

Jo, who helped CSKA win four trophies during a three-year spell in Russia, has agreed a four-year deal.

Meanwhile, Hughes has confirmed that negotiations to bring Ronaldinho to Eastlands are ongoing and the deal is not dead as has been reported.

"He is a world star and if these things are going to happen they are likely to take a bit of time and we are patient," said the former Blackburn boss.

"It is a process that is on-going. It has not slowed in any way shape or form and there is no immediate deadline."

For the time being Hughes must be content with the capture of Jo, a player who is delighted to have joined City.

"I decided to come to Manchester City because it is one of the clubs who showed more interest in me, although I had other offers as well," said Jo.

He added: "After I spoke to the manager (Hughes) I was very pleased.

"I was told Manchester City is a club going forward at the moment. We can go places, that is our objective. We thought about it and I decided to come to Manchester City for that reason."

Jo also revealed that Spanish outfit Valencia were one of the clubs that were interested in the striker.

"The club who showed interest officially was Valencia," he said. "I know from the press there were other clubs who showed interest."

The transfer, thought to be worth about £18m - beating the £13m the club spent to sign Nicolas Anelka from Paris Saint-Germain in 2002 - was first mooted several weeks ago and City will be delighted to have finally got their man.

Jo is advised by Kia Joorabchian, who was involved in the saga concerning Carlos Tevez's move to West Ham in August 2006 and later the switch to Manchester United.

The 6ft 3in forward, whose full name is Joao Alves de Assis Silva, scored 44 goals in 77 games for CSKA Moscow.

He also helped them to a Russian league and cup double in 2006 and has Champions League experience, notably scoring home and away against Italian champions Inter Milan last season.

"He's a big guy, in stature and ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play," Hughes added on the club's website.

"A lot has been said about him and there was an expectation on him coming out of Brazil, so with the success he's had, I think it's a real coup that we've been able to bring him to the club."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7442429.stm

Is he really that good?

When you spend £18m on a striker you're entitled to think you've got a top-drawer player.

Not too sure how much Hughes had to do with this reading between the lines. It appears that he'd been targeted before Hughes even got the job. Who's buy is it? 

Gareth Barry disciplined and not allowed to return to pre-season training with Villa after his NOTW interview having a go at MON:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7450271.stm

Gotta say, even though this has nothing to do with us, this has really annoyed me.  Don't know why, but it has.  Hope Barry ends up failing massively at Liverpool and that they drop out of the CL spots for next season.

anyone else find liverpools transfer targets laughable?  gareth barry & robbie fucking keane (should the strong links in the papers be true)

exactly how on gods green earth does benitez think these two will take him any closer to the title?  in what world is gareth barry any better than xabi alonso anyway?  never mind selling the better player for less money than you're gonna have to pay for the inferior one!!

dudes lost it, if liverpool want the title and not cup runs they need shot of benitez IMO

Guest nufc_geordie

Gareth Barry disciplined and not allowed to return to pre-season training with Villa after his NOTW interview having a go at MON:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7450271.stm

Gotta say, even though this has nothing to do with us, this has really annoyed me.  Don't know why, but it has.  Hope Barry ends up failing massively at Liverpool and that they drop out of the CL spots for next season.

anyone else find liverpools transfer targets laughable?  gareth barry & robbie f***ing keane (should the strong links in the papers be true)

exactly how on gods green earth does benitez think these two will take him any closer to the title?  in what world is gareth barry any better than xabi alonso anyway?  never mind selling the better player for less money than you're gonna have to pay for the inferior one!!

dudes lost it, if liverpool want the title and not cup runs they need shot of benitez IMO

To be honest Robbie Keane is massively underrated in my eyes. I think his footballing brain alongside Torres would be a fantastic partnership upfront, one better than they have at present and it would also allow Gerrard to go back in the centre of midfield alongside Mascherano, where he is a more dynamic player.

As for Gareth Barry, well he is a poor version of Xavi Alonso. A steady Eddy who can spray the ball around a bit but nowhere near to the same level as Alonso. The only thing Barry has over Alonso is that he is probably better defensively and I reckon that Benitex would want him alongside Mascherano in big European and premiership games away from home to sure things up.

Looks like we're searching for a buyer like Ipswich's, Norwich's and Wolves'. Hopefully it comes soon otherwise there'll be no transfer activity - we need it as well.