Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Very short-term thinking there, because you cannot buy being a part of the PL, on a regular basis, if you get my meaning. It's like the promised land.

They're doing what they need to in order to try and stay afloat and rid the club of the "yo-yo" image of recent years.

Obviously if they go down after spending that much then it is an unmitigated disaster for all concerned down there, but if they do stay up and become a regular big club in the PL - like ourselves *smug* - then it'll have been worth it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/20/arsenal.manchesterunited

Silvestre set for shock move to Arsenal

Mikael Silvestre would be the first Manchester United player to move to Arsenal since Brian Kidd in 1974. Photograph: Themba Hadebe/AP

Mikaël Silvestre, the long-serving Manchester United defender, is on the verge of foregoing a testimonial season at Old Trafford to become the club's first player to be sold to Arsenal for 34 years.

Arsène Wenger instigated the move yesterday after learning that the former France international had been holding talks with Manchester City and Sunderland. Silvestre had provisionally agreed a move to City before contacting the club yesterday to apologise and say he could not resist the opportunity to work for Wenger, to live in London and be involved in the Champions League.

Paris St Germain had also offered the 31-year-old a contract but Silvestre informed Wenger last night that Arsenal were his first choice and, if everything goes according to plan, the deal will be concluded in time for him to make his debut at Fulham on Saturday.

The move is expected to cost Arsenal in the region of £750,000 and will represent one of the biggest transfer shocks of the summer given United's usual reluctance to do business with any of their major rivals and the fact Ferguson has never allowed a player of his to defect to Wenger's side. Brian Kidd was the last United player to go in the same direction, in 1974, and Silvestre would have been entitled to a testimonial had he stayed at Old Trafford one more season.

Another surprise for Arsenal's fans is that Wenger does not regard the former Internazionale defender merely as a squad player, or as a back-up for Gaël Clichy at left-back, but as a first-choice centre-half alongside William Gallas, primarily as a replacement for Philippe Senderos.

City had been the first club to approach Silvestre and their failure to pull it off represents a major disappointment for Mark Hughes after his difficult start to life as Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor.

City's problems were compounded yesterday when it emerged they were the subject of a possible Fifa inquiry into claims that they had failed to pay some of the money they allegedly owe in the £8m signing of the Brazilian international midfielder Elano Blumer from Shakhtar Donetsk.

I would kill myself!

Toure>Silvestre

Ash is toure not better than gallas as well? Everytime I've seen gallas he's made a few errors and always arguing with other teammates. Is toure injured? I don't see why anyone would want to replace him.

Very short-term thinking there, because you cannot buy being a part of the PL, on a regular basis, if you get my meaning. It's like the promised land.

They're doing what they need to in order to try and stay afloat and rid the club of the "yo-yo" image of recent years.

Obviously if they go down after spending that much then it is an unmitigated disaster for all concerned down there, but if they do stay up and become a regular big club in the PL - like ourselves *smug* - then it'll have been worth it.

See your point Rich, but i just disagree. For seventy million pounds, i know i'd expect a little more than 'Premiership stability'. A lot of teams have survived without spending anywhere near that amount of dosh.

Ash is toure not better than gallas as well? Everytime I've seen gallas he's made a few errors and always arguing with other teammates. Is toure injured? I don't see why anyone would want to replace him.

Exactly

Toure>Gallas>Shit>Silvestre

Toure is awesome, greatest centre back in the league!

Toure most likely moving into centre midfield as your defensive midfielder if the Silvestre story is true.

Toure would be a beast there for you i.e. CM.

I would rather Silvestre at Centre Mid

Toure most likely moving into centre midfield as your defensive midfielder if the Silvestre story is true.

His shooting power is unrealistic...but I have a few arsenal mates and I've always said to them that they've missed a 'presence' to play in the middle with fabregas, toure could well be that person.

I would rather Silvestre at Centre Mid

:kasper:

Guest johnnyappleseed

"first-choice centre-half alongside William Gallas, primarily as a replacement for Philippe Senderos"

since when is senderos first choice?

i think bouba diop been overrated too much by redknapp. diop has nothing more than cannon ball shot ability

Diop is average. He's always been average.

The only reason anyone even knows his name is because he scored that goal against Man Utd and that total blert off Fanzone started screaming about "the Wardrobe" :lol:

Charlie was quality. :lol:

Sky should never have got rid of that Fanzone panel thing.

Fanzone back this season isnt it?

Online anyway

The fanzone commentary is still on, but the Fanzone panel isn't

"first-choice centre-half alongside William Gallas, primarily as a replacement for Philippe Senderos"

Hopefully its a clueless lazy journo who saw toure playing rb for the end of last season and thinks thats how we will stick.

But i dont believe arsenal need any defenders, just a strong centre mid

Hopefully its a clueless lazy journo who saw toure playing rb for the end of last season and thinks thats how we will stick.

But i dont believe arsenal need any defenders, just a strong centre mid

Naive if you want to win the league, Gallas and Toure is strong but the depth simply isn't good enough.

Guest quklaani

Silvestre is a great left back, one of the best around on his day.  But good God is he an awful Centre-Back.  He's good for at least one enormous cock up per game, he's basically exactly what people sometimes claim Rio Ferdinand is.  Immensely talented, usually away with the fairies. Not sure how I'd feel about him being sold to a title rival, good for Evans and Fabio Da Silva I guess.