Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Albo wrote:

Get a load of the 'Author' of that piece.

http://www.sport.co.uk/corporative/8/Nigel_Brown.aspx

Nigel

Job Title: Editor

Email: [email protected]

With a love of Cuban cigars, bespoke suits, vintage claret and Arsene Wenger’s football philosophy, editor Nigel Brown is a fan of the finer things in life. Moreover with a background in high-end gadgetry and a leather-bound contact book larger than the bible he’s got the all the hallmarks of an aspiring Rupert Murdoch.

I emailed the guy above who 'revealed' the story and that it is a done deal (what? I'm bored, off work with my feet up!) and asked him why such a definitve conclusion could be reached without him supplying any supporting quotes or evidence, though not as cleanly worded. I was surprised he replied, but he did:

> Hi Alan,

>

> Thanks for your email.

>

> I couldn't quote the source as it was off the record. I still believe

> the transfer will concluded very shortly.

>

> Regards

>

> Nigel Brown

>

Surely that means i needed to fill the papers, please?

I want Sakho.

You want Sakho?

Surely a teenage centre half from a foreign league is the LAST thing that Arsenal side needs. I don't care how good he is. You need a team. Buying a no-nonsense Terry/Jagielka/Carragher-type defender would go a long way to building one.

Guest wshmag

Amongst others yes.

Ideally get rid of Silvestre and (it hurts me to say this) Toure, bring in Sakho and an experiences premiership centre back.

steven taylor.

Villa after Lescott and Bentley, according to a slew of unreliable sources.

Bentley I wouldn't be too fussed about, so long as the price is right. Lescott we'd have to pay a shit load of money in fee and a chunky-assed salary to have any hope at all of dislodging him, even before convincing him it is a move worth making.

This would be where it starts going stupid. Man City fuck us off with their greater-than-ours financial muscle. We then take it out on someone else with our greater-than-yours financial muscle, and on it goes.

Plus, he's apparently got some very real problems with a major local gang which would probably keep him away from the area, in any case.

Bentley I wouldn't be too fussed about, so long as the price is right. Lescott we'd have to pay a s*** load of money in fee and a chunky-assed salary to have any hope at all of dislodging him, even before convincing him it is a move worth making.

This would be where it starts going stupid. Man City f*** us off with their greater-than-ours financial muscle. We then take it out on someone else with our greater-than-yours financial muscle, and on it goes.

Plus, he's apparently got some very real problems with a major local gang which would probably keep him away from the area, in any case.

Lescott won't go to Villa.

From our point of view you're our main rival and selling you one of our best players would send out an awful message. From his point of view it's a sideways step to play in front of fans I think it's fair to say he will not be keen on. Plus the whole gangsters/kneecap thing.

If he goes anywhere it will be to City who can offer us daft money that will persuade us to reluctantly sell. Or if not, daft wages to turn the players head and force us into selling. I think talk of Villa or Arsenal buying him is way off as they can't afford to do that.

I don't think he will either. What'd be the point?

I think the kneecap thing will also be prime in his mind, even if all the other obvious obstacles were removed.

Watch out for City, though. They're far from finished.

Bentley I wouldn't be too fussed about, so long as the price is right. Lescott we'd have to pay a s*** load of money in fee and a chunky-assed salary to have any hope at all of dislodging him, even before convincing him it is a move worth making.

This would be where it starts going stupid. Man City f*** us off with their greater-than-ours financial muscle. We then take it out on someone else with our greater-than-yours financial muscle, and on it goes.

Bentley?

Is the Milner experiment over already then?

Bentley is apparently saying that talks are underway to take him to Man City.  Hughes got the very best out of him but when you can afford any player on the planet, do you really want to sign Bentley, even if he did play well before?  Bentley seems to think so.  I think Lescott could wind up with City as well, good defender.  Shame Dr Spectrum isn't around to see it all, think he would have enjoyed it.

Bentley is apparently saying that talks are underway to take him to Man City.  Hughes got the very best out of him but when you can afford any player on the planet, do you really want to sign Bentley, even if he did play well before?  Bentley seems to think so.  I think Lescott could wind up with City as well, good defender.  Shame Dr Spectrum isn't around to see it all, think he would have enjoyed it.

Maybe it's just blind faith but I think it's highly unlikely.

Ah well, if he does want to go, we'll not only move on perfectly well without him, but also get a ridiculous amount of money.

But my original point remains. I simply can't see him going, particularly not to somewhere like City.

Amongst others yes.

Ideally get rid of Silvestre and (it hurts me to say this) Toure, bring in Sakho and an experiences premiership centre back.

Yous can have Coloccini for £6m if you fancy it.

But my original point remains. I simply can't see him going, particularly not to somewhere like City.

Which is precisely what Villa fans were saying about Gareth Barry last week, and we'd already had a year of him bleating about wanting to go and sit on Gerrard's lap at Liverpool.

Naive to assume that any player wont have their head turned by the kind of money Man City have now.

Bentley?

I don't know.

There is a rumour MON wants to play him through the middle, apparently.

Bentley?

I don't know.

There is a rumour MON wants to play him through the middle, apparently.

That's what we all said about Milner too, or the fact we wanted him tried there at some point simply because I personally never rated him out wide when he was with us.

Keegan talked about giving Milner a central role because he was one of the most naturally fit players we had, I'm sure he even played in a pre-season match as a CM.

Played him there against Coventry, his best game in a B&W shirt for me.

Only took several managers and several years to cotton on to what i'd been saying from the start, Milner was in deed a central player in the making.

Keegan talked about giving Milner a central role because he was one of the most naturally fit players we had, I'm sure he even played in a pre-season match as a CM.

Only took several managers and several years to cotton on to what i'd been saying from the start, Milner was in deed a central player in the making.

He played in a roaming role really though, even then we just rotated him, N'Zogbia and Gutierrez in the final third.

He played in a roaming role really though, even then we just rotated him, N'Zogbia and Gutierrez in the final third.

Still a sign of his productivity increase not being on the wing. Think if we still had him and he played in that role all season we'd have stayed up.

I could never understand why Milner wasn't played centrally more often, seemed to maximise his fitness/engine while making up for the fact he wasn't fast and couldn't cross.

Not very good at ball retention though, and a dubious tackler at best. Would have to have someone sitting behind him to be of any worth imo.

I'm not going to pretend I rated the lad in his time here as quite frankly he never done it and looking back of course you can say selling him was wrong as he wasn't replaced with anybody in that position or someone as versatile as him. I would have sold him for such a daft fee, but the fact is we were let down by the recruitment team in not finding someone to replace him. The same with Charlie, whom I was also not a big fan of.