Other clubs' transfers

Dave

"Johnson hit the jackpot in his £18.5million move from Portsmouth yesterday with a £100,000-a-week, four-year deal worth a whopping £21m"

:jesuswept:

OMFG. That cannot be true. 100K for a full-back.

how much was riise on? i can't remember off hand but it was around the same i think

Guest Stephen927

He's had a good season, wouldn't necessarily say he was worth £18m but offers much more of an attacking threat than Arbeloa ever will.

Guest kingdawson

Cambiasso is miles ahead of Mascherano ffs, what kind of creature are you KD?

Quit being an internet warrior.

Dare say that to my face.

:mackems: :mackems:

I hope to dear God we didn't spend that much on a full-back. Christ, we should have bought Dani Alves when we could have had him for less than that.

He'd better be insanely good for us for that money. Unbelievable amount. And we still need a winger, just as we have since Rafa took over. Perhaps he things Johnson can do that job.

Actually played on the wing a fair bit for Pompey this season.

To be honest, I don't think I saw the lad play a single match last season, so I can't really comment on his ability as a player. Not impressed by the price, though.

Rafa has been after a decent wing-back for a while, now, possibly as an alternative to a winger (there don't seem to be many top quality wingers around these days). Certainly, with Kuyt on the wing instead of Gerrard we need a decent attacking full-back to balance out that side of the pitch. But 18 million... I'd much sooner the money had been spent on a proper attacking player. Arbeloa has been just fine at RB.

Is part of it that Glen Johnson is English though?  Heard something about Liverpool needing to sign an Englishman or two this summer to meet Champions League quotas - not sure how that works if it's true though?

I believe the EU have declared the proposed CL nationality rules illegal under European law (though not officially), but I imagine it's on Rafa's mind. He tried to flog Alonso last summer to bring in Barry, and I can't think why he'd want to do that apart from the fact that Barry is English.

You need 4 players trained for 3 years before they were 21 at the club, and with 8 British nationalities in the 25 man squad.

Wasn't that rule the reason Hyypia couldn't play in Europe this year? They had to sacrifice a non-English player and he got cut?

I hope to dear God we didn't spend that much on a full-back. Christ, we should have bought Dani Alves when we could have had him for less than that.

He'd better be insanely good for us for that money. Unbelievable amount. And we still need a winger, just as we have since Rafa took over. Perhaps he things Johnson can do that job.

To be honest, I don't think I saw the lad play a single match last season, so I can't really comment on his ability as a player. Not impressed by the price, though.

Rafa has been after a decent wing-back for a while, now, possibly as an alternative to a winger (there don't seem to be many top quality wingers around these days). Certainly, with Kuyt on the wing instead of Gerrard we need a decent attacking full-back to balance out that side of the pitch. But 18 million... I'd much sooner the money had been spent on a proper attacking player. Arbeloa has been just fine at RB.

Is part of it that Glen Johnson is English though?  Heard something about Liverpool needing to sign an Englishman or two this summer to meet Champions League quotas - not sure how that works if it's true though?

I believe the EU have declared the proposed CL nationality rules illegal under European law (though not officially), but I imagine it's on Rafa's mind. He tried to flog Alonso last summer to bring in Barry, and I can't think why he'd want to do that apart from the fact that Barry is English.

You need 4 players trained for 3 years before they were 21 at the club, and with 8 British nationalities in the 25 man squad.

Wasn't that rule the reason Hyypia couldn't play in Europe this year? They had to sacrifice a non-English player and he got cut?

Don't know but that would be crazy seeing as he could apply for British Citizenship and be accepted without any problems due to the years he's been here.

Glen Johnson and Roque Santa Cruz going for a combined £35m or so. Fucking astronomical. It shows what one good season can do for you in the Premier League, doesn't it; what the fuck did Blackburn even pay for him? Was it above £5m?

£3.5m.

Tbf, £3.5m was an insanely low price for him at the time. Was worth at least double that IMO.

IIRC bayern were glad to see the back of him.

Man City sign Stuart Taylor.  :dowie:

:lol: :lol: third choice Villa keeper. Wp Sparky.

Man Utd got Goram, Chelsea got Sullivan & Macho...big clubs quite often sign dud keepers as back-up, plus with Hart looking likely to go to Birmingham on loan, that leaves Kasper Schmeichel, and I can't see him sticking around much longer.

Am I reading that right? ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING PER WEEK???? AS IN 7 DAYS??? FOR GLEN FUCKING JOHNSON?????

Even if he single handedly scored all of Liverpool's goals and made all their assists next season, he still wouldn't be worth that! Christ on a BMX ffs!!!

Guest Roger Kint

I think some of the fees and wages we're seeing in these past few weeks are showing just how hard it is to sign good players now. No way could we match some of the figures being bandied about.

We dont have to match those figures. IIRC we got relegated and have no hope in signing the type of players who are being signed for any figure of note.

We are shopping in a different market to these, other than a few players none would be will to come here or good enough to help us this year. Unfortunately in the next two weeks this will show just how far behind we are when our level starts buying.

I think some of the fees and wages we're seeing in these past few weeks are showing just how hard it is to sign good players now. No way could we match some of the figures being bandied about.

We dont have to match those figures. IIRC we got relegated and have no hope in signing the type of players who are being signed for any figure of note.

We are shopping in a different market to these, other than a few players none would be will to come here or good enough to help us this year. Unfortunately in the next two weeks this will show just how far behind we are when our level starts buying.

I'm talking about over the last couple of years and had we stayed up.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm talking about over the last couple of years and had we stayed up.

The last few years we have been a poor lower half Premier League club so ther than the fact we got relegated the point hasnt changed much. Its our clubs persuit of Hollywood transfers which have left us with a stinking pile of problems. If only we had recruited like those around us ie sensibly with a more long term view we could have saved much heartache.

Currently, yes. But UEFA/FIFA were blathering about tighter regulations, and EU bigwigs commented that they would not be allowed under EU law. I imagine the current rules might not stand up to a legal challenge if a club or association brought one. It's impossible to say until it actually does go before the relevant court.