Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Looking like Benitez will be copping an extra £3m loss.  Keane was bought back for £12m + an extra £3m after 50 appearances.  Seems like RK is now close to signing for Sunderland.

Im with KD here,Mascherano,imo,is the best holding midfield player in the world.

Agreed

the keane to mackems thing has been going on for a while as a rumour.

cant believe spuds signed him back anyway.

good signing for the unwashed though, different class to anything they have.

I cant believe that about Keane

What an absolute fucking shambles that will be on Spurs' part if that happens.

I cant believe that about Keane

What an absolute f***ing shambles that will be on Spurs' part if that happens.

He did the job he was brought back for - to knit us together and keep us up. Particularly after Defoe got injured. There's talk of him being unhappy and he certainly didn't play at all well in the last few games, so I wouldn't call it a shambles - just a short-term decision that paid off. I wouldn't have been unhappy to see him leave in the first place for that insane amount of money, if we had had any cover left.

Club sells player to other club, then signs him back, then sells him again in about 9 months and it isn't a shambles?

*strokes metaphorical beard. Metaphorically*

Nice try, but I disagree!

Look at the bigger picture. Club stays up, club does well second half of season and gets out of a massive hole. Keane played a big part in that. The shambles was the position we were in before Redknapp arrived. What matters is the long term and (a) God only knows what will happen to Spurs next year but (b) it's better to stay in the Premiership (apologies to the hosts here) and © what happens to the club matters more than machinations over one player.

Has he had more than one good season in his career?

His goal record was something like one in nine for Bayern. Shola standards.

Glen Johnson and Roque Santa Cruz going for a combined £35m or so. Fucking astronomical. It shows what one good season can do for you in the Premier League, doesn't it; what the fuck did Blackburn even pay for him? Was it above £5m?

Guest kingdawson

Cambiasso is miles ahead of Mascherano ffs, what kind of creature are you KD?

Quit being an internet warrior.

Guest kingdawson

Man Redknapp is a genius if the Keane rumours are true. We used Keane like he used us and only bought him as cover for the injured Defoe. No one else was available so we got someone who didn't need time to adjust to the teams style of play and for £8 million less then what we sold him for. Now we're apparantly selling for £3 mill more then what we bought him for.

This will be great news if it's true.

Glen Johnson and Roque Santa Cruz going for a combined £35m or so. Fucking astronomical. It shows what one good season can do for you in the Premier League, doesn't it; what the fuck did Blackburn even pay for him? Was it above £5m?

£3.5m.

Guest kingdawson

Club sells player to other club, then signs him back, then sells him again in about 9 months and it isn't a shambles?

*strokes metaphorical beard. Metaphorically*

Nice try, but I disagree!

Look at the bigger picture. Club stays up, club does well second half of season and gets out of a massive hole. Keane played a big part in that. The shambles was the position we were in before Redknapp arrived. What matters is the long term and (a) God only knows what will happen to Spurs next year but (b) it's better to stay in the Premiership (apologies to the hosts here) and © what happens to the club matters more than machinations over one player.

Good post.

I hope to dear God we didn't spend that much on a full-back. Christ, we should have bought Dani Alves when we could have had him for less than that.

He'd better be insanely good for us for that money. Unbelievable amount. And we still need a winger, just as we have since Rafa took over. Perhaps he things Johnson can do that job.

Actually played on the wing a fair bit for Pompey this season.

To be honest, I don't think I saw the lad play a single match last season, so I can't really comment on his ability as a player. Not impressed by the price, though.

Rafa has been after a decent wing-back for a while, now, possibly as an alternative to a winger (there don't seem to be many top quality wingers around these days). Certainly, with Kuyt on the wing instead of Gerrard we need a decent attacking full-back to balance out that side of the pitch. But 18 million... I'd much sooner the money had been spent on a proper attacking player. Arbeloa has been just fine at RB.

I hope to dear God we didn't spend that much on a full-back. Christ, we should have bought Dani Alves when we could have had him for less than that.

He'd better be insanely good for us for that money. Unbelievable amount. And we still need a winger, just as we have since Rafa took over. Perhaps he things Johnson can do that job.

To be honest, I don't think I saw the lad play a single match last season, so I can't really comment on his ability as a player. Not impressed by the price, though.

Rafa has been after a decent wing-back for a while, now, possibly as an alternative to a winger (there don't seem to be many top quality wingers around these days). Certainly, with Kuyt on the wing instead of Gerrard we need a decent attacking full-back to balance out that side of the pitch. But 18 million... I'd much sooner the money had been spent on a proper attacking player. Arbeloa has been just fine at RB.

Is part of it that Glen Johnson is English though?  Heard something about Liverpool needing to sign an Englishman or two this summer to meet Champions League quotas - not sure how that works if it's true though?

Is part of it that Glen Johnson is English though?  Heard something about Liverpool needing to sign an Englishman or two this summer to meet Champions League quotas - not sure how that works if it's true though?

No such rule exists with regards to being 'English'.

However there is a rule regarding the player being trained x amount of years between ages x & x in the UK, and a similar rule where the player must have received training at that club. He'd be eligible for the first, but not the last.  Obv.

Still, I imagine Liverpool wouldn't need 2 sign in any players to satisfy that rule.

£3.5m.

Tbf, £3.5m was an insanely low price for him at the time. Was worth at least double that IMO.

Guest The Libertine

"Johnson hit the jackpot in his £18.5million move from Portsmouth yesterday with a £100,000-a-week, four-year deal worth a whopping £21m"

:jesuswept:

I believe the EU have declared the proposed CL nationality rules illegal under European law (though not officially), but I imagine it's on Rafa's mind. He tried to flog Alonso last summer to bring in Barry, and I can't think why he'd want to do that apart from the fact that Barry is English.

I believe the EU have declared the proposed CL nationality rules illegal under European law (though not officially), but I imagine it's on Rafa's mind. He tried to flog Alonso last summer to bring in Barry, and I can't think why he'd want to do that apart from the fact that Barry is English.

You need 4 players trained for 3 years before they were 21 at the club, and with 8 British nationalities in the 25 man squad.

"Johnson hit the jackpot in his £18.5million move from Portsmouth yesterday with a £100,000-a-week, four-year deal worth a whopping £21m"

:jesuswept:

OMFG. That cannot be true. 100K for a full-back.