Other clubs' transfers

Dave

i thought he was shit for us, but has looked very good at times this season. his work-rate and energy is unreal, and he has finaly filled out that wide frame of his so, as opposed to looking weedy and awkward with us, is now incredibly strong with good balance. never thought he had the strength or poise to play in the middle but you can tell that he does now, good decision to get him away from the wings. would be a canny attacking midfielder for man utd, though when you look at the players their opposition has, lampard, fabregas, iniesta etc, then he's not at their level.

Milner has done well overall. But really, the obsession surrounding Milner is getting borderline ridiculous. He's been dogshit against the top four in central midfield recently, has looked clueless in those games I've seen him in when up against midfielders who can pass and control a ball well on top of closing down fast. He genuinely looks like an out-of-position winger to me, unsure of where to position himself, but is alright when he does get the ball. It doesn't show against the average/mediocre teams, but it sticks out like a sore thumb against the Chelsea's, Arsenal's and ManU's.

I'd still take £12m for him, as for a central midifelder he's really not that great. Give me a natural passer of the ball any day over a hard-working player who'll chip in with half a dozen goals. I'll be suprised if Fergie or any of the better teams go for him, but then again they're the sort of teams that can make use of relatively average, hardworking, versatile players, as they have long seasons where backup players will get plenty of games. But as the long-term replacement for Scholes? Either Milner has significant room to improve, or Fergie has lost the plot and we're about to see the start of ManU's slide. The gap in quality between Scholes and Milner is huge.

i thought he was shit for us, but has looked very good at times this season. his work-rate and energy is unreal, and he has finaly filled out that wide frame of his so, as opposed to looking weedy and awkward with us, is now incredibly strong with good balance. never thought he had the strength or poise to play in the middle but you can tell that he does now, good decision to get him away from the wings. would be a canny attacking midfielder for man utd, though when you look at the players their opposition has, lampard, fabregas, iniesta etc, then he's not at their level.

Pretty much spot on.

Just because Milner is in the form of his life at the moment doesn't change the fact that he was never really very good for us.

My problem with Milner wasn't that he was slow, it was that for us he didn't have the cross, or end product to make up for it. On the wing that really, really showed. His work ethic, control, and perseverance were never in question. I was wrong about him, he obviously had it in him all along. I'll have fond memories of him though, never the type of ex-player you would boo.

I would never boo him but tbf he did spit his dummy out and hand in a transfer request when he never got a pay rise. Which wasn't deserved for what it's worth.

Keegan was talking about playing him in central midfield during pre-season, he even played a game at Hartlepool there if I remember rightly.

Aye he did. Quite a few on here did as well.

I would never boo him but tbf he did spit his dummy out and hand in a transfer request when he never got a pay rise. Which wasn't deserved for what it's worth.

Milner was treated like shit by the club and its employees at times, I don't blame him for moving and he should have done it years earlier when Souness was a twat to him.

Milner was treated like shit by the club and its employees at times, I don't blame him for moving and he should have done it years earlier when Souness was a twat to him.

He most certainly was at times. And I praised his work ethic and attitude on here quite a bit, especially compared to N'Zogbia. But he also had no right demanding a pay rise when he'd only signed his latest contract the previous summer and on the back of that had his worst season for us.

He most certainly was at times. And I praised his work ethic and attitude on here quite a bit, especially compared to N'Zogbia. But he also had no right demanding a pay rise when he'd only signed his latest contract the previous summer and on the back of that had his worst season for us.

I don't think he wanted to be here anymore and the pay rise was just an excuse.

I don't think he wanted to be here anymore and the pay rise was just an excuse.

Aye.

Does anyone here have proof that he demanded a pay rise? Even if he did, he possibly wanted parity with some other players. We were paying silly money to crap players like Luque and Geremi, why should he play more and earn much, much less?

Also, 'not agreeing terms' does not immediately equal 'not enough cash'.

Does anyone here have proof that he demanded a pay rise? Even if he did, he possibly wanted parity with some other players. We were paying silly money to crap players like Luque and Geremi, why should he play more and earn much, much less?

GC seemed pretty sure: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4340085.ece

He wanted parity with Steven Taylor, should he be asking for a pay rise a year after his last when he has just had a pretty poor season? No.

Did he deserve to be paid the same wage as Taylor? Definitely.

Was he nearly as bad for us as some make out? Definitely not.

He was just another in a long line where people started characterizing certain parts of their game and others started running with it.

He was never (bar the odd game) outstanding here but his talent was still fairly obvious and he was more often than not one of the best of a poor bunch.

Even if he went on to win world player of the year some would still look to make excuses though, unfortunately.

He wanted parity with Steven Taylor, should he be asking for a pay rise a year after his last when he has just had a pretty poor season? No.

Did he deserve to be paid the same wage as Taylor? Definitely.

Was he nearly as bad for us as some make out? Definitely not.

He was just another in a long line where people started characterizing certain parts of their game and others started running with it.

He was never (bar the odd game) outstanding here but his talent was still fairly obvious and he was more often than not one of the best of a poor bunch.

Even if he went on to win world player of the year some would still look to make excuses though, unfortunately.

You've changed your tune.  You fucking hated him when he was here.

After being on here for 2 years, the one thing that baffles me the most is the Milner hate. Honestly don't see what he did wrong, I always saw him as our most threatening player tbh. And he was my favourite NUFC player for years!! Absolute madness  :no:

Was never fussed on him when he was here tbh. Never ever looked like a £12m player and was pleased we ended up making a big profit on him.

Obviously he's come on loads since he's left so you've got to look at the coaching set-up and ask why he never fulfilled his potential here rather than at Villa. Selling him was the right decision at the time and his development since he left doesn't make it a mistake. He would never have been anywhere near the player he is now had the bid been turned down and he stayed here, which says more about NUFC than it does about Milner. Good luck to the lad.

I noticed since the rumours of CNZ & Milner moving in the summer I have not seen anything that mentions that we had a sell on clause, you would of thought it would of been WISE to insert these as part of the deal for a Frenchie U21 player & Englands most capped U21 player. Has anyone saw anything saying we will get a cut?

Was never fussed on him when he was here tbh. Never ever looked like a £12m player and was pleased we ended up making a big profit on him.

Obviously he's come on loads since he's left so you've got to look at the coaching set-up and ask why he never fulfilled his potential here rather than at Villa. Selling him was the right decision at the time and his development since he left doesn't make it a mistake. He would never have been anywhere near the player he is now had the bid been turned down and he stayed here, which says more about NUFC than it does about Milner. Good luck to the lad.

Agree with all that (apart from the never fussed bit obviously), I thought £12m was definitely too much to turn down and although as you say he wouldn't have developed as much if he stayed I wish he had now :(

GC seemed pretty sure: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4340085.ece

Aye, this is what I was saying

Within the past year, players such as Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Claudio Caçapa have arrived at Newcastle on high wages and offered questionable value for money, while Milner, who is not among the biggest earners, is a hardworking, talented and popular member of the squad.