Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Has there been a striker signed from La Liga that's been a major success in this country? Not an arsey question or owt; just wondering. There's probably someone obvious i've missed.

Torres

Has he really been a success though?

What?  ???

Has there been a striker signed from La Liga that's been a major success in this country? Not an arsey question or owt; just wondering. There's probably someone obvious i've missed.

Torres

Has he really been a success though?

He has 18 goals in 20 games this season, man. :lol:

Has Torres been mentioned already?

Maybe Messi or VI or someone who watches La Liga regularly can comment/correct here, but imo the key with signing Spanish strikers is to make sure they've get stand-out attributes that will serve them well in the Premiership (Torres is fast and relatively powerful for example). Strikers like Xisco (when he was at Deportivo) are to be found aplenty in La Liga, and for the most part compared to Premiership defenders they're either not fast enough, not strong enough, or not skillful enough to adapt to playing in this country. Watching a mid table team for example, it's easy to see how alot of Spanish strikers make it through their system - they have decent movement, decent technical ability, half decent finishing, all of which suit the style of play and the types of defenders you get there (e.g. Coloccini). That sort of striker however wouldn't work in the Premiership in a team where long balls and physical battles are part of the game (even in sides capable of playing decent football), and without pace or a high degree of ability to compensate they simply won't make it because Premiership teams won't fashion the types of chances they're used to having created for them. Hence the high percentage of flops from La Liga.

Fernando Morientes is probably a better high calibre example of the type of striker you'd find in La Liga. Just didn't have a stand-out attributes his team needed from him to enable him to adapt to Premiership football.

I'm pretty indifferent on the bloke if i'm honest.

Wow.  :lol:

If that's your honest opinion then that's fair enough. Still can't get my head round it like, Torres is fucking fantastic.

He's magnificent, there's only one striker in the world better.

Torres isnt even Spains best striker

theres a couple id rather have than him....Drogba,Roney,Messi,Ronaldo

Messi & Ronaldo aren't really out-and-out strikers in the traditional sense of the word.

He's magnificent, there's only one striker in the world better.

Torres isnt even Spains best striker

theres a couple id rather have than him....Drogba,Roney,Messi,Ronaldo

Torres is comfortably better than Villa and marginally better than Rooney.

Messi and Ronaldo aren't strikers.

Still Think David Villa is Spains top striker though...Torres is good but the lad is made of glass you only get 20-25 games a season out of him that just does not justify a huge outlay

How can you say Messi and Ronaldo are not strikers their sheer amount of goals they score proves that they are a forward/striker.....just because you arent a traditional number 9 or centre forward does not mean you arent a striker

Still Think David Villa is Spains top striker though...Torres is good but the lad is made of glass you only get 20-25 games a season out of him that just does not justify a huge outlay

How can you say Messi and Ronaldo are not strikers their sheer amount of goals they score proves that they are a forward/striker.....just because you arent a traditional number 9 or centre forward does not mean you arent a striker

Yes, it does. If you line up on the wing, you are not a striker. Pure and simple.

Even if you get more games out of Villa a season, still think Torres is a better player.

Luque played well against Palermo.

Torres' overall game is actually rather limited. He doesn't press as intelligently as Drogba, for example, and he doesn't contribute much to the buildup of the attack (give him the ball far from the box and he'll give it back to you or lose it). But he's probably the best there is at being just a striker: making runs, getting into positions, finishing with head or foot. He is a goal machine. Dunno what's happened with his fitness, I reckon he's been rushed too often since he always seems to relapse from the same injury.

Had he been fit the whole season Liverpool would have walked 4th.

Regarding Spanish forwards in the PL, I reckon the PL favors either pacy "get behind the defence" forwards or big lurching dudes, none are particularly common in Spain outside Bilbao. La Liga plays with deeper defences, and speed upfront isn't as much an asset so our quick fellas are usually wingers. Off-the-ball movement and close ball control are usually the typical qualities of our traditional forwards. Villa and Torres are atypical. Raúl and Tamudo are the quintessential Spanish strikers.

That said, I would have loved to see what somebody like Urzáiz would have done in the PL.

Luque was a winger, not a forward.

Unbelievable Niko Kranjar signs for Tottenham for £2.5M

What a steal

Why did no other club try to buy Kranjar at this price. We are not professionals and we don't know Kranjar was in last year of his contract. However surely all those agents, scouts, managers do.

Spurs top 5 this season tbh

Should have said top 4 really :(

Tabloid filler. They wouldn't ever consider trying.

What about Figo?

I know this is quite a lot different, but I couldn't put anything past Perez.

There is simply no chance Messi would accept however.

I'm pretty indifferent on the bloke if i'm honest.

Wow.  :lol:

If that's your honest opinion then that's fair enough. Still can't get my head round it like, Torres is fucking fantastic.

It's not fair enough at all.  It's just plain wrong.

Either being different just for the sake of it or wumming.