Newcastle United 0 - 2 Chelsea - 05/05/08 - post match reaction from page 13

James

Guest shearer_united

Did anyone see "DAVE LOVES AMEOBI" in the Setanta Channel ? made me laugh :D

Happy with that so far, Owen's been quiet and there hasnt been a great deal of width from our midfilders in the final third but we've defended well, Taylor and Faye have been good, Butts defended well but his distribution is worse than poor. Martins has been excellent, a little selfish at times but still very dangerous on the coutner.

Have to say, think we have played very well in the first half, unlucky not to score on two occasions.

Think defensively we have been good, although enrique sometimes doesn't spot danger as soon as he should.  Butt has been immense, great tackles, good break up of play and some neat passes!

Joey Barton has been playing well too, great ball for Martins which led to the Owen shot cleared off the line by Terry.  Beye has been bombing down the right, on two occasions he should have done better with the ball like.

Viduka has been a bit of a let down, he is a bit too slow on the ball at times.  Geremi has been pretty good.  Martins has been very dangerous and for once we have put some decent balls to him.  Shame that Martins sometimes doesn't know how to cross though. lol.

Overall our passing has been great.  Some great moves, sensible balls to players who are not in danger, and when there is danger they keep it simple and retain possesion. 

Looking forward to the 2nd half.

Good game this, we've certainly matched them. The obvious negative for the majority of the half was the passing and moving - players weren't supporting each other and we were fannying around with the ball, and losing possession. Pretty clear that this was angrily barked at them from the touchline, because a couple of those moves towards the end of the half were exceptional.

Taylor, Barton, Martins and Enrique (him in-particular) are having good games. Nicky Butt and Viduka look like the weak links to me, sloppy in possession.

What we're doing best is hassling them. We're not giving them any time on the ball - we're charging them down, defending as a big unit, tackling well. If we give them time we'll concede, but we're not - good to see. When they have possession, it looks like we've got more players than them. What's unfortunate is that Chelsea's strongest point of the game so far is exactly the same as ours.

I can see us grabbing a goal soon. Nothing to say we cannot win this.

Very harsh on Butt, think he's been great. He's tried a couple of his "Hollywood-passes" that's been wasteful, but aside from those two, he's been immense.

Agreed 100%.

You're a true Butt fanboy, Keef. :razz:

But I agree. He's been good.

Barton's got a knock, might not start the second half according to SS.

Good performance so far - our passing play at times really is a joy to behold and besides that Ballack opening we've been sturdy at the back as well. I'd say everyone with the perhaps harsh exception of Viduka has been brilliant, just hope we can keep it up.

Guest MagicNumber9

I need the first goal to be scored between 61-70 minutes for £140, preferably Owen for an xtra £70 :D

Good game this, we've certainly matched them. The obvious negative for the majority of the half was the passing and moving - players weren't supporting each other and we were fannying around with the ball, and losing possession. Pretty clear that this was angrily barked at them from the touchline, because a couple of those moves towards the end of the half were exceptional.

Taylor, Barton, Martins and Enrique (him in-particular) are having good games. Nicky Butt and Viduka look like the weak links to me, sloppy in possession.

What we're doing best is hassling them. We're not giving them any time on the ball - we're charging them down, defending as a big unit, tackling well. If we give them time we'll concede, but we're not - good to see. When they have possession, it looks like we've got more players than them. What's unfortunate is that Chelsea's strongest point of the game so far is exactly the same as ours.

Very harsh on Butt, think he's been great. He's tried a couple of his "Hollywood-passes" that's been wasteful, but aside from those two, he's been immense.

Agreed 100%.

Butt's pass on Owen for his first chance was great, so was his pass to send Oba away down the left.

Agreed 100%.

You're a true Butt fanboy, Keef. :razz:

But I agree. He's been good.

Are you saying I love butt?

Man, Viduka is slow, shit and incapable of making a pass. If we had anyone else better than him playing, we'd be dominating this game. Every ball launched up is coming back towards us because Viduka's too slow to get into position to challenge it and/or he cannot jump high enough to challenge Terry and Carvalho, so it's really restricted the way we can counter-attack them to just the ball in behind to Martins. It's like we're playing with 10 men here. Even though we're doing fine and had a great spell to end the half, imagine how much better it could have been if we had someone other than Viduka (who would actually contribute)?

I'd actually put Smith in there because he'll win a few headers and at least he'll run around more. Viduka's just been totally off the pace today and thus, out of the game. Even when the ball goes into his feet, he gives away. And that's supposed to be his forte or summat. It's like he's trying to pull off a shit impersonation of Alan Smith. And he's been successful.

well you got your wish

Smith to score his 1st goal and secure the title for Manu.

Can't see that happening. Can see him score an own goal the give Chelsea the title though.