Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

he's telling ashley what he wants/needs............should he be doing it in public? it follows on from his comments about not being in touch with the owner and it being a good thing (which i doubt)

He shouldn't really be doing it in public. For me it shows he really wants to do it and he isn't worried that it might offend MA. As I said earlier he's crossed the line now and no amount of spin and PR is going to cover up the fact that KK has thrown down the gauntlet.

I see it the other way that Mike Ashley thinks Keegan can challenge the top 4 next season but Keegan is trying to calm his expectations.

I just see it as Keegan speaking his mind, tbh.

But if anything, I'd agree with you, it's definitely not a "I want more money!!" iyam

he's telling ashley what he wants/needs............should he be doing it in public? it follows on from his comments about not being in touch with the owner and it being a good thing (which i doubt)

He shouldn't really be doing it in public. For me it shows he really wants to do it and he isn't worried that it might offend MA. As I said earlier he's crossed the line now and no amount of spin and PR is going to cover up the fact that KK has thrown down the gauntlet.

I see it the other way that Mike Ashley thinks Keegan can challenge the top 4 next season but Keegan is trying to calm his expectations.

I can't disount that.

If we take a step back it also reveals he really has been thinking about the top 4....A lot came out in those two min of interview. And it needed coming out as much for KK as for MA and finally us...............

Well we are the 5th best side over the last ten years, so that's about our level really.

Decade man, decade.

I'm not tired, and I was interested by this, so got my calculator out.

It depends on how you calculate it (using figures up to today):-

Villa have 516 points over the last 10 years, Newcastle 533.

Villa have finished above Newcastle 6 out of 10 years.

Villa's total sum of finishing positions = 93.

Newcastle's total sum of finishing positions = 93.

So, the average league position = 9.3 for both clubs.

That's a pretty even spread of underachievement. The main difference is that you got to play in the CL a few times, whereas we didn't.

Fuck this, I'm going to bed,

Well we are the 5th best side over the last ten years, so that's about our level really.

Decade man, decade.

That's a pretty even spread of underachievement. The main difference is that you got to play in the CL a few times, whereas we didn't.

We spent about a gazillion more n'all.

Decade man, decade.

Yeah but the flip side of the argument is, I bet you had a great time watching CL football whilst we were busy balancing the books so Doug'd make a decent wedge when he sold.

f*** this, I'm going to bed,

You shouldn't have bothered, all you had to do was ask.  :lol:

Decade man, decade.

Yeah but the flip side of the argument is, I bet you had a great time watching CL football whilst we were busy balancing the books so Doug'd make a decent wedge when he sold.

Dunno like, was a bit nerveracking at times and there was probably some serious jetlag for our fans with trips to Milan, Kiev and suchlike. :undecided:

;)

Decade man, decade.

Please don't start :lol:

That calculation is pretty much the one I did when I posted in my first ever 'board' thread. Good times, good times.

But, you're looking at it the wrong way. If you do the calculations for every team, we actually come out 5th (tied with you, now). Man Utd average something like 1.9 (iirc), so does that mean they've been the 2nd best team over the past 10 years? Of course not.

Guest jan 1st 1985

i didnt see kk's comments on sky,but i was at his press conference with all the journalist's after the game.he is one honest man--they were all ready to have a pop at him for what they saw as a lack of ambition for next season,keegan told them straight--there's two league's in the premier the top 4 and the rest,he said newcastle fans have to be realistic and top5/6 is what we should aim for next season,but with everton,spurs,villa and the like also spending money it will be hard.on the subject of a transfer kitty he said "i didnt say i had no money to spend,just that im no going to get the funds to make us a top 4 side because they are streets ahead of us at the moment"thats the thing with keegan he says it how it is.he got respect for being honest from a bunch of southern based journos who talk a load of s*it imo,in contrast they treated avram grant with no respect at all,they where laughing at him and talking over him---felt sorry for the guy because he's a quietly spoken man.keegan is 100% correct some fans need to get a reality check.

i didnt see kk's comments on sky,but i was at his press conference with all the journalist's after the game.he is one honest man--they were all ready to have a pop at him for what they saw as a lack of ambition for next season,keegan told them straight--there's two league's in the premier the top 4 and the rest,he said newcastle fans have to be realistic and top5/6 is what we should aim for next season,but with everton,spurs,villa and the like also spending money it will be hard.on the subject of a transfer kitty he said "i didnt say i had no money to spend,just that im no going to get the funds to make us a top 4 side because they are streets ahead of us at the moment"thats the thing with keegan he says it how it is.he got respect for being honest from a bunch of southern based journos who talk a load of s*it imo,in contrast they treated avram grant with no respect at all,they where laughing at him and talking over him---felt sorry for the guy because he's a quietly spoken man.keegan is 100% correct some fans need to get a reality check.

when he came, some idots thought he's lead us back to the top 4. he won't. i'm not even sure he's the one to get us to the top6/7 place that our club actually merits. no doubting his honesty, but look at the players he's putting out/bringing on. it's not looking ideal.

Would suspect that there is SOME bluff involved - otherwise, the club would be held to ransom by every player/club they tried to do business with ; its not the same playing field that Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal , L'Pool and even Spurs have, because either the players WANT to go there for success, or they prefer to live near London.

If we try to compete with these teams for players, any approach would have to be backed by a larger fee and wages etc..even that didn't work with Modric...

My feeling is that KK will find it harder to SPEND the money ON THE RIGHT PLAYERS than to actually GET it from Ashley/Mort - it is likely that we will have to find up and coming stars rather than established ones and a Top 6 finish would be major progress next season...as I have said before, it is crucial fo clubs like NUFC to find and develop their OWN talent ; they can no longer compete for International stars in the current market and until some regular success is achieved, this won't change.

The Prem is just a larger version of the Scottish Prem now with only one or two clubs able to win it each season - the FA Cup or UEFA Cup football is our target for the foreseeable future unfortunately and the longer we go without achieving these targets, the harder it will become to make progress.

do we really have to beat the top 4 sides, to finnish in the top 4.

what if we gain enough points from our games against the other clubs.

maybe pick up draws against top clubs,

they can, as kk said, beat each other.

You dont need to be good enough to compete with them on the day,... at the momment.

Suppose one of them has a bad season.

Aim for top 6, but do that really well, maybe 4th isnt on another planet,

I hope, it was bluff by kk, but i think it was a message to mort.

The timing of the comments has to be relevant. Did he really need to wait until the team were playing and winning (then lost to a top 4 side) to make these comments?

I dont think anyone could believe he didnt think there was a gulf in class when playing Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U earlier in the season, especially as he made the point about only Everton breaking in in the last 6 years. If, as everyone has agreed, its a fairly obvious point, then he could have made it earlier. He didnt though.

i'm not sure wether he's thrown down the gauntlet or thrown in the towel

He actually seemed to be doing both. He was saying that he needs as much money as possible, whilst at the same time saying that no amount of money would get us into the top four. It was like making your excuses in advance, and in Ashley's position you'd wonder if you'd really chosen the right man.

Breaking into the big four has to be the ultimate aim of this football club. Everton did it, but they didn't have the finance to take advantage of the breakthrough. Clubs like ourselves or Spurs would be in a better position.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks that KK's outburst was some kind of rational attempt to damp down expectations is kidding themselves. He was feeling depressed and frustrated and spoke from that frame of mind. And that pessimistic message was not in the least bit helpful to anyone else at the club.

The timing of the comments has to be relevant. Did he really need to wait until the team were playing and winning (then lost to a top 4 side) to make these comments?

I dont think anyone could believe he didnt think there was a gulf in class when playing Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U earlier in the season, especially as he made the point about only Everton breaking in in the last 6 years. If, as everyone has agreed, its a fairly obvious point, then he could have made it earlier. He didnt though.

Fair point. What do you think the relevance of the timing is then? Just a nudge at the chairman/owner, or something more sinister?

He cant win, set expectations to high and its the geordies being daft and getting carried away again,  makes some sensible points about the top four and is now being accused of not enough ambition.

"Villa's total sum of finishing positions = 93.

So, the average league position = 9.3 for both clubs."

erm am not brilliant at maths, but not sure that accurate.  I mean a team who finishes 2nd, 2 times in 10 years is areguably a better team than one who finishes 6th every year.

guess its all down to statistics and pov/spin

I was listening to Talksport through the night last night and they were reporting on KK's comment - usually along the lines of "Keegan has warned fans that they have no chance of breaking into the top 4 next year"

However, during the 4am bulletin, they reported that "Keegan has criticised owner Mike Ashley for not being prepared to spend big in order to try and get into the top 4".

They didnt follow up with any comments, quotes, interviews... just that one single line. Where the fuck did the pull that shit up from

Absolute fucking wankers.

Possibly just the wrong thing to say when the Chelsea game had yet to be played; clutching at straws like. Maybe he had to genuinely see his team play Chelsea, previously they had no confidence when meeting top sides (anyone for that matter), its only recently they started playing with some panache. There goes another straw and I'm out of ideas.

I don't think there's anything to worry about too much. I'm confident that there will be money available, and as a few people have said, if Keegan goes around saying 'I've got shitloads to spend' then clubs will bump the prices of their players up when he's interested.

On the 'we won't break into the Top 4 debate', I think he's being realistic. It's probably going to take a few years to get there. What we have to do for the next couple of seasons or so is improve and keep on building. If we end up in the Top 6 this time next year, that would be great.