Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

Imho we will get a Mort statement saying everything in the garden is rosy Keegan and co went down to put there plan in place for next season so not to give the gutter press any more fuel.We all know that this is probably far from the truth and Keegans got a bollicking for his comments and told in no uncertain terms to be a bit more carefull with his views in future .This is all my thoughts on the matter as i havent a clue what goes on in the corridors of power like many others .

Why is everyone believing all the London press bollocks, its being way way way over hyped. KK is not going to be sacked or bollocked, but he will find out how much cash he can have.

Imho we will get a Mort statement saying everything in the garden is rosy Keegan and co went down to put there plan in place for next season so not to give the gutter press any more fuel.We all know that this is probably far from the truth and Keegans got a bollicking for his comments and told in no uncertain terms to be a bit more carefull with his views in future .This is all my thoughts on the matter as i havent a clue what goes on in the corridors of power like many others .

I honestly don't see what he's done to warrant anything close to a bollocking. This has been fueled by the press, end of story.

I'd put money on it hardly being mentioned at the meeting tbh.

What he's done is given the press a reason to go after the club again. When there was absolutely no reason to do so. If I was his boss I would bloody have a word and tell him to mind what he says, but at the same time I would try to draw a line under it and paint a happy picture to the outside world.

At the end of the day this should have been an internal affair, KK should have held his tongue. If Kev feels he's not getting sufficient backing or has issue with the structure of the club, then airing those concerns to a negative press is not the best way to go about it.

It's good to see all of the main men having a meeting anyway, give them a chance to sort any problems and to make sure everyone is pulling in the same direction.

Hopefully they've finalised how much is to spend, who they're going to go for and can stick some bids in. O0

Why is everyone believing all the London press bollocks, its being way way way over hyped. KK is not going to be sacked or bollocked, but he will find out how much cash he can have.

I don't really think everyone is believing the press tbh. I think what a lot of people are annoyed with is the fact that this episode was alowed to happen.

It's good to see all of the main men having a meeting anyway, give them a chance to sort any problems and to make sure everyone is pulling in the same direction.

Hopefully they've finalised how much is to spend, who they're going to go for and can stick some bids in. O0

That's more like it. :nods:

I honestly don't see what he's done to warrant anything close to a bollocking. This has been fueled by the press, end of story.

What he's done is given the press a reason to go after the club again. When there was absolutely no reason to do so. If I was his boss I would bloody have a word and tell him to mind what he says, but at the same time I would try to draw a line under it and paint a happy picture to the outside world.

At the end of the day this should have been an internal affair, KK should have held his tongue. If Kev feels he's not getting sufficient backing or has issue with the structure of the club, then airing those concerns a negative press is not the best way to go about it.

Thanks for the back up ,why on earth call your manager down to London to tell him how much cash he has got when he could have told him on monday or in a phone call there is more too this than the above and you must be blinkered not to know it ffs

I can't see Keegan getting the push, but a meeting being termed 'productive and constructive' is lawyer-speak for 'no comment'.

Sorry, but I think a lot of people on here haven't grasped the damage that Keegan has done. He's the public face of a team, which includes Ashley, Mort, Vetere and Wise, all of whom are working to attract the best players they can to the club and to build for the future. When the manager comes out with such a discouraging message, he's disrespecting and undermining the people that are actually working very hard for him. That was why he was summoned to that meeting in double quick time. He may have seriously harmed morale within this group, and jeopardised their confidence in him.

I'm really shocked Keegan has kept his job. I think i'm going to have to have a lie down.

Had a lie down, and i'm still shaking, this shocking news may take a day or two to digest.

:lol:

I can't see Keegan getting the push, but a meeting being termed 'productive and constructive' is lawyer-speak for 'no comment'.

Sorry, but I think a lot of people on here haven't grasped the damage that Keegan has done. He's the public face of a team, which includes Ashley, Mort, Vetere and Wise, all of whom are working to attract the best players they can to the club and to build for the future. When the manager comes out with such a discouraging message, he's disrespecting and undermining the people that are actually working very hard for him. That was why he was summoned to that meeting in double quick time. He may have seriously harmed morale within this group, and jeopardised their confidence in him.

Good post.

I'm really shocked Keegan has kept his job. I think i'm going to have to have a lie down.

Had a lie down, and i'm still shaking, this shocking news may take a day or two to digest.

:lol:

Wait until tomorrow when the papers tell you what really happened.  None of this bollocks from those who were actually there.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Everything you have written of late has put a negative spin on information that is not necessarily negative and some information that is pure speculation. It reads as badly as the bile produced from the various papers in this country over the last few days regarding NUFC.

If you could back your statements with facts there wouldn't be an issue. The fact is unless you've spoken to Mike Ashley you have NO IDEA what he thinks. So don't make out like you do.

i think Vetere and Wise are professional enough to rise about that, but Ashley probably was a bit peeved at the comments, which is why he'll have called the meeting, just to get everyone on the same page. i don't see it as a bad thing, if anything keegan has used this as an opportunity to re-iterate his ambition and the kind of finances it will take to make us a top four side.

i think keegan will have also demanded that he be part of the negotiating team when it comes to meeting potential signings. it is not a good idea for a young players to meet a team of faceless bureacrats rather than the man they'll be playing for, that's no slight at the Wise's team, but that's how it could come across.

clearly there was something going on or there would not have been a meeting called (remember the main discussion about transfer targets took place a few weeks back) but i'm sure problems would've been ironed out, otherwise what's the point of getting them all together?

At the end of the day this should have been an internal affair, KK should have held his tongue. If Kev feels he's not getting sufficient backing or has issue with the structure of the club, then airing those concerns to a negative press is not the best way to go about it.

This is pretty much my take on it. Complaining publicly about contracts not getting sorted out is stepping on toes unnecessarily and it undermines his employers who should be allowed to get on with their business. It's no use complaining about the press if we are adding fuel to the fire for no reason.

Hopefully everybody is clearer on any issues and we can start looking like a united team after this.

Guest Brummiemag

This talk has been blown way out of proportion.

Ashley will have no intentions of firing the man who has completely turned our season around and inspired a lot of confidence from the fans. I assume the talk is to discuss what Keegan thinks is needed to break into the top four, potential signings, the usual things chairman and manager discuss.

But because it's in London it's made out to be a showdown, a clear the air talk.  :doh:

So true, basically they need to sell papers!  I think KK has has spoken sense as usual and I agree with with him. I have absolute confidence in KK's ability and desire to carry our club forward. I am sure that when KK joined he was given assurances about the resources at his disposal. I know Mike Ashley has done a lot for us already but if he is serious about making a challenge on the top four in the longer term then he has to invest serious money on players this summer and in the future.   

Guest GAMMELL

:lol: :lol:

i think Vetere and Wise are professional enough to rise about that, but Ashley probably was a bit peeved at the comments, which is why he'll have called the meeting, just to get everyone on the same page. i don't see it as a bad thing, if anything keegan has used this as an opportunity to re-iterate his ambition and the kind of finances it will take to make us a top four side.

i think keegan will have also demanded that he be part of the negotiating team when it comes to meeting potential signings. it is not a good idea for a young players to meet a team of faceless bureacrats rather than the man they'll be playing for, that's no slight at the Wise's team, but that's how it could come across.

clearly there was something going on or there would not have been a meeting called (remember the main discussion about transfer targets took place a few weeks back) but i'm sure problems would've been ironed out, otherwise what's the point of getting them all together?

Hopefully, if anything Keegans involvlement in transfer dealing is discussed and agreed upon because i think it'd be a major flaw if they dont include him - he has an affitnity with this club and is one of only a few who really genuinely understand the club that they are at there is noone in this entire club who knows it better than him so it strikes me as odd to leave him out of the process. (If he's to be belived about his level of involvment).

I still agree though with some of what bobyule has said- people may write it off as the same as "media bilge" but i think he makes a valid point, Keegan should not have said what he had said. I've made this point before but if people were to honestly ask themselves what their reaction would be had the owner or chairman said those staements in such similarly determined fashoin, would you still harbour the same dismissive thoughts??

Hopefully, if anything Keegans involvlement in transfer dealing is discussed and agreed upon because i think it'd be a major flaw if they dont include him - he has an affitnity with this club and is one of only a few who really genuinely understand the club that they are at there is noone in this entire club who knows it better than him so it strikes me as odd to leave him out of the process. (If he's to be belived about his level of involvment).

I still agree though with some of what bobyule has said- people may write it off as the same as "media bilge" but i think he makes a valid point, Keegan should not have said what he had said. I've made this point before but if people were to honestly ask themselves what their reaction would be had the owner or chairman said those staements in such similarly determined fashoin, would you still harbour the same dismissive thoughts??

The chairman did say the same thing as Keegan.   bluelaugh.gif

Everything you have written of late has put a negative spin on information that is not necessarily negative and some information that is pure speculation. It reads as badly as the bile produced from the various papers in this country over the last few days regarding NUFC.

If you could back your statements with facts there wouldn't be an issue. The fact is unless you've spoken to Mike Ashley you have NO IDEA what he thinks. So don't make out like you do.

Top quality post bobyule.

While none of us 'know' all the facts, that sums up exactly how I read the situation too.

The impact of what Keegan said will be felt in many individual situations (that we will never know about or be told about) for the forseeable future. The impact will always be negative, unfortunately.

He has let a sort of 'genie' out of the bottle (by admitting in public that we are a second-rank club) and it will take a very long time to put it back in the bottle  -  if ever.

Keegans words could well prove to be quite "self-fulfilling" in fact!

Making this club successful and an attractive place for top footballers to play, is now much more difficult than it was before he spoke.

While none of us 'know' all the facts, that sums up exactly how I read the situation too.

The impact of what Keegan said will be felt in many individual situations (that we will never know about or be told about) for the forseeable future. The impact will always be negative, unfortunately.

He has let a sort of 'genie' out of the bottle (by admitting in public that we are a second-rank club) and it will take a very long time to put it back in the bottle  -  if ever.

Making this club successful and an attractive place for top footballers to play, is now much more difficult than it was before he spoke.

it's nothing one big signature signing won't put right though.

i doubt it will be a 'self-fulfilling' prophecy, Keegan's too ambitious for that. i said before that in his first spell here he once complained about how newcastle couldn't afford to match man utd as they had the likes of Roy Keane on their bench never mind in their first team, but a year or two later we had a better side than them and broke the world record transfer fee. i doubt we're going to break any world record fees this time, or have a better side than Man Utd, but we'll try. the comment imo was intended emphasise just how ambitious we have to be to break the top 4, and, after losing out on three targets, an attempt to force a more aggressive approach in the transfer market.

He has let a sort of 'genie' out of the bottle (by admitting in public that we are a second-rank club) and it will take a very long time to put it back in the bottle  -  if ever.

it's nothing one big signature signing won't put right though.

Completely wrong.

Old-style (Freddy Shepherd) "one-off" trophy signings will achieve nothing, other than confirm that we are still second-rank 'triers / failures'.

i doubt it will be a 'self-fulfilling' prophecy, Keegan's too ambitious for that. i said before that in his first spell here he once complained about how newcastle couldn't afford to match man utd as they had the likes of Roy Keane on their bench never mind in their first team, but a year or two later we had a better side than them and broke the world record transfer fee. i doubt we're going to break any world record fees this time, or have a better side than Man Utd, but we'll try. the comment imo was intended emphasise just how ambitious we have to be to break the top 4, and, after losing out on three targets, an attempt to force a more aggressive approach in the transfer market.

johnnypd - I think you are exactly right  -  in what his comments were 'intended' to achieve.

Unfortunately, he has ALSO achieved a great deal more than he intended to . . . .