Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

Guest optimistic nit

Brummie made a very good point in the thread about Sebastian Larsson, regarding whether a player is going to take the club to the "next level".

I can see how this would apply here, if he's better than what we've got (Shola), then he makes us into a better side, and he would worth spending some money on.

Don't know why everyone is panicking, we put a very hefty bid in for Modric, so we know there's money available, but we will need these kinds of signings too to improve our overall squad.

thats complete bullshit.

if we're buying players with the aim of being better than our reserve "please god dont make us have to play him" players, then we'll go fucking no where. shall we employ the same strategy in midfield, signing players on the basis that they are better than alan smith? thats no way to improve a football club.

i don't care if being average makes him better than shola, we need to sign players who are good enough to compete with our established first team strikers.

otherwise next season we'll be buying players on the premise of them being better than diane (assuming he is a definatively average striker, which he may not be). We sign players based on them being slightly better than our last choice players, and we'll end up with a very average team in not long at all, and to improve, every single one of that average team would have to be replaced, presumably by someone who is  not quite as average as our average last choice players.

signing a player as a squad player never works, if you're thinking long term, we need to sign players to compete with first teamers (not saying diane definately can't, but as i have said i have my doubts).

When Shepherd left us, we were knee-deep in the red and we were fucking shit. That is why he continues to receive criticism. Being in the red alone does not make any director/chairman/executive shit. I hope this clears it up.

fucks sake man. anyone would think we had a queue of world class players lined up outside SJP begging to sign.

we are a mid table side, who aren't in europe, who have a history of hiring and firing managers, we're based in a small city in the north east of england, we're trying to rebuild the club finances after years of mismanagement.

and we've proven time and time again that throwing money at "big name signings" hasn't led to success. we have just pissed transfer fees and massive wages up the wall.

it's all about building a decent sized squad, putting a solid team together and doing it without bankrupting the club. get a grip on reality and get used to the idea !

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Common sense.

both Pompey and Spurs have won cups this year.

what have we won ?

fuck all lad.

and we have generally been considered the laughing stock of the league for most of 07/08.

what a load of rubbish.

Lad

When we were in the red and in the CL, no one complained because the money was spent wisely (obvious, because we were relatively successful), but then that all turned to shit and we ended up pissing a lot of money on wages and transfers down the drain. That is why Shepherd gets criticism.

He also gets criticism for leaving the club in financial trouble (which Mort has alluded to).

At the end of last year, we spent the 5th most on wages, had a debt of £80m and ended up in 14th position. You tell me how rosy that picture looks.

Guest MaetihS

fucks sake man. anyone would think we had a queue of world class players lined up outside SJP begging to sign.

we are a mid table side, who aren't in europe, who have a history of hiring and firing managers, we're based in a small city in the north east of england, we're trying to rebuild the club finances after years of mismanagement.

and we've proven time and time again that throwing money at "big name signings" hasn't led to success. we have just pissed transfer fees and massive wages up the wall.

it's all about building a decent sized squad, putting a solid team together and doing it without bankrupting the club. get a grip on reality and get used to the idea !

Seem more and more are joining my view that we aren't big enough a club to attact the rising stars or established stars.

names ?

And please tell us which teams have qualfied more for europe than us,  that HAVEN'T bought these "big name signings"

Lad.

PS, you seem oblivious to the fact that we are the 3rd best supported club in the country, if you think that smaller clubs than us can buy "bigger name players"

what have we won ?

f*** all lad.

and we have generally been considered the laughing stock of the league for most of 07/08.

what a load of rubbish.

Lad

do you associate with any non-NUFC fans ? they think we are a self important joke of a club who stumble from crisis to crisis and play it all out in full glare of the media.

that's the reality sunshine.

At the end of last year, we spent the 5th most on wages, had a debt of £80m and ended up in 14th position. You tell me how rosy that picture looks.

That will be ignored I'm sure, but it's hugely significant to me. The figures told a story.

it's too hard to work out precisely when we became the laughing stock !

I suspect it was around the time Dougy and Fred got stung in that brothel......

And people laughed at YOU  mackems.gif

oh dear.

Oh for the good old days of fine upstanding gentlemen running the club, [for the younger generation, think of Bob Murray], and we spent years selling our best players, ritual humiliation in the FA Cup to the likes of Hereford and Exeter, and nobody laughed at us  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

I find it quite sad that so many people have lowered their expectations in the past year.

Haha, that's f***ing genius. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

you can answer my response to Dave, which includes yourself, and your comments last November that we shouldn't be spending cash in January and you would simply be happy not to get relegated

NE5 man - i adhere to your request all the time, im forever pointing retorting to your responses even when they arent coherent or sensible.

Just to reiterate - you're twisting the Jan budget thing and all in all, at the end of the day it was 100% vindicated. So you have no argument there.

And as for the question posed to Dave - im not sure too many people were bothered with the boards mistakes pre SBr i think alot of commentary on the old board is in referecne to the second they sacked SBR.  No one is stupid enough to let anyone getaway with something on the back of something they achieved previous to a major mistake. You;re an idiot if you do.

Will you answer this question:

Who do you hold responsible for the position we are in now? I mean  if we are £100m behind the top 4, which board is responsible for letting us get so far behind?

Simple question - im sure you'll be a hypocrite and not retort.

the thng is is that alot of people know the answer to this question and are therefore allowing the  new board the time to make a difference.

it was 100% vindicated ?

It certainly wasn't.

Finishing higher up the league would have been worth more money. And got a player in before others, for cheaper than the summer ie as in Woodgate in 2003.

You said you would be happy to not get relegated. What was your expectation in previous years ? Were you grumbling about not splashing cash and not qualifying for europe ?

You don't make sense.

Well yeh - we didnt back a dead man walking. Cant complain about keegan not geting mney cos he did - you know that so you have no argument there.

Dont forget - we ended up selling Woodgate for a profit a year later so you have no argument there either.

When we had Roeder in charge, i was against him because i recoginsed that he wasnt going to get us anywhere and he had a definite shelf life which was bad for the club. i also said that we needed to lower our expectations becasue they were crippling us as a club and had lead us to be in the situation we ended up being. (sacking SBR). I recoginsed the need for change and recoginsed the need for the club to have some stabilty and some quiet press, none of which were afforded to us in the past 4 years.

you actually argued with me about about us needing to lower our expectations. Ive never been one to complain about backing to be honest - i though it was far more iporant in getting the right manager - which ive argued with you before about. And to be honest - i backed every decision that Shepherd made when he made it even Souness but when i look back i recognise that they were very poor decisions so im happy to point it out.

names ?

And please tell us which teams have qualfied more for europe than us,  that HAVEN'T bought these "big name signings"

Lad.

PS, you seem oblivious to the fact that we are the 3rd best supported club in the country, if you think that smaller clubs than us can buy "bigger name players"

I'll start you off with luque, kluivert, owen (until this season), boumsong, emre and duff.

arsenal have qualified for europe more often than us without big name signings. you show me a club who has spent as much as us since 1992 but still not won anything. Leeds maybe, and look where they are.....

the "size" of a club is NOT determined by the amount of people who support them.

what have we won ?

f*** all lad.

what a load of rubbish.

Lad

do you associate with any non-NUFC fans ? they think we are a self important joke of a club who stumble from crisis to crisis and play it all out in full glare of the media.

I associate with lots of non-NUFC fans sunshine. In fact, only 1 NUFC fan is in my particular workplace. Nobody actually gives a toss about people going to brothels, in fact they were all very envious of us when we played in the Champions League, europe, and 2 FA Cup Finals.

Supporters of the successful clubs ie like manu, will tell you such things don't matter too much to them, as in they weren't bothered when Edwards was caught kerb crawling. Of course, they just love the Glaziers.

Thats the reality sunshine.

Any chance this thread could be about Amara Diane? Crazy idea I know!

Yeah go on then. I hope we buy him, because by scoring just one goal in the last year, he's a significant improvement on Alan 'he'll be better with a run of games up front' Smith.

We need squad improvements, and he'll be one.

what have we won ?

f*** all lad.

what a load of rubbish.

Lad

I associate with lots of non-NUFC fans sunshine. In fact, only 1 NUFC fan is in my particular workplace. Nobody actually gives a toss about people going to brothels, in fact they were all very envious of us when we played in the Champions League, europe, and 2 FA Cup Finals.

Supporters of the successful clubs ie like manu, will tell you such things don't matter too much to them, as in they weren't bothered when Edwards was caught kerb crawling. Of course, they just love the Glaziers.

They actually don't. This will be funny, but the reason they don't love the Glazers is because of the debt :lol:

Classic stuff, I know.

it's too hard to work out precisely when we became the laughing stock !

I suspect it was around the time Dougy and Fred got stung in that brothel......

And people laughed at YOU  mackems.gif

oh dear.

Oh for the good old days of fine upstanding gentlemen running the club, [for the younger generation, think of Bob Murray], and we spent years selling our best players, ritual humiliation in the FA Cup to the likes of Hereford and Exeter, and nobody laughed at us  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

you've missed the point sonny jim. in the mid to late 90's we were "everyones second club" and could compete with the best of europe in the transfer market.  now we are a mid table joke side who people love to hate.

no-one was talking about what went on in the 70's or 80's. it wasn't and isn't relevant to the current discussion.

As if having the third biggest stadium in the country counts for anything. :lol:

That's a special one the management keeps in reserve for swaying those difficult players.

"Well we can't offer you Europe or the London nightlife.  But what would you say to the third largest stadium in the country?" *slides contract across table, produces pen*

what have we won ?

f*** all lad.

what a load of rubbish.

Lad

once again you missed the point lad.

if edwards wanted to dip a hooker then fair dues. if fred and doug want to see some blart in a brothel then fair dues.

but did edwards get caught in the back seat of his car with a hooker and a journo mouthing off and laughing about daft people who buy manc shirts get ripped off and going on about all the lasses in manchester being mingers. ? Did this story get then get splashed all over to the tabloids.

No.

thought it didn't.

names ?

Lad.

I'll start you off with luque, kluivert, owen (until this season), boumsong, emre and duff.

arsenal have qualified for europe more often than us without big name signings. you show me a club who has spent as much as us since 1992 but still not won anything. Leeds maybe, and look where they are.....

the "size" of a club is NOT determined by the amount of people who support them.

I'll start you off with Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Speed, Dyer, Bellamy, Ferguson, Robert, Albert, Hamman, Batty, Woodgate, and finish off with the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us, because of these signings ?

Unless of course you think we should have bought players such as Chopra, kilbane, Arca, Lawrence - or Heard, Reilly, Pingel, Bogie, Gourlay, Robertson, Stimson, Dillon......... great days, all bargain buys the lot of them.

Quite amazing that any Newcastle supporter is unhappy with signing a top footballer like Michael Owen, they must have been over the moon when we bought Rob McDonald.

You need to wise up lad, you're living in cloud cuckoo land, although I'm not surprised that - just like the example of pompey - you're using the old tried and trusted example of Leeds to suggest that everybody who spends a lot of money ends up like Leeds

Funny that one  bluelaugh.gif

Just to continue on with posts on-topic as per Jon's request, try this:

http://www.eurosport.fr/football/ligue-1/2007-2008/le-journal-des-transferts_sto1588357/story.shtml

DIANE COURTISE

Information exclusive eurosport.fr: l'attaquant du PSG, Amara Diané, a reçu une nouvelle offre -la troisième- pour rejoindre le championnat qatari. Un contrat de trois ans et un salaire de 7 millions d'euros nets lui ont été proposés. Newcastle (Premier League) ne donnant plus de nouvelles, c'est la seule proposition concrète ayant été faite à l'Ivoirien.

Babelfish translates to:

'DIANE COURTS Exclusive information eurosport.fr: l' attacker of the PSG, Amara Diane, received new offers to it third to join the championship qatari. A three year old contract and wages of 7 d' million; euros Nets were proposed to him. Newcastle (First League) not giving more news, c' is the only specific proposal having been made with l' Man from the Ivory Coast.'

Me translates to:

Eurosport reckon he's had an offer to join the Qatar league, with a rather lucrative contract. Notwithstanding any comment from NUFC, this is the only solid proposal he's been made.