Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

Or Hamman who f***ed off to a supposedly smaller club than us after one season

We should be breaking records in the way Brian Clough did, what would we give to watch players of the calibre of Ian Wallace, Peter (I think) Ward, Justin Fashanu, that's the way I want to see us go.   :lol:

You have to spend big, like Man United, Chelsea etc do

and play each other in the European Cup Final. Well done.

Easy when you try. Still, I'm sure you know best.

or do it the NUFC way,spend big and go backwards. amn utd and chelsea do it from a position of strength we aren't in. a bit like telling any team just spend as much as you can and the success that brings will pay for it.

so you are supporting the spending of money that isn't there now ?

And why do people like you always discount Woodgate ?

errrr when the argument originally began i always brought up woodgate but remember at the time we bought him we hadn't qualified for the qualifying stages of the next seasons champs lge...with all the cash that brings. so after finshing 3rd with woodgate already in the squad but not yet qualified for the group stage proper we strenghten by getting in a free lee bowyer (this when liverpool finished 5th for a uefa cup spot)

we had a good manager and didn't back him when we should have and we could have broke away from liverpool.

then we backed poor appointments as manageras and went backwards.

is this not how you see it ?

yes, but the money for Woodgate was still spent, in advance of the summer. Don't you see that ? A good player, bought when available, beating other clubs to him, and balancing the money later. This is how it should be done. But, it was still part of the summers' money and therefore accusing the club of not buying anybody that summer is harsh to say the least.

The club backed Robson with a lot of money in the preceding years too. I really can't understand why people criticise the club for not spending money that summer when they had spent as much as possible to get there, then accuse the club now of "overspending". You can't have it both ways, but it appears that they do want it both ways.

Bobby Robson made some mistakes too, big ones, if Viana and Cort.

When the new owners show me they have the genuine desire to break into the top 4 clubs then I won't criticise them for lack of ambition or for mistakes too btw. Like a couple of other people, I'm massively undewhelmed so far, and not just by the signing of a 25 year old who doesn't appear to have made much of an impact. He might just be a squad player, but we don't need squad players, we need players to immediately improve the first team and aim for high standards asap.

The best younger players will sign for the more progressive clubs too.

yes, but the money for Woodgate was still spent, in advance of the summer. Don't you see that ? A good player, bought when available, beating other clubs to him, and balancing the money later. This is how it should be done. But, it was still part of the summers' money and therefore accusing the club of not buying anybody that summer is harsh to say the least.

The club backed Robson with a lot of money in the preceding years too. I really can't understand why people criticise the club for not spending money that summer when they had spent as much as possible to get there, then accuse the club now of "overspending". You can't have it both ways, but it appears that they do want it both ways.

When the new owners show me they have the genuine desire to break into the top 4 clubs then I won't criticise them for lack of ambition or for mistakes too btw. Like a couple of other people, I'm massively undewhelmed so far, and not just by the signing of a 25 year old who doesn't appear to have made much of an impact. He might just be a squad player, but we don't need squad players, we need players to immediately improve the first team and aim for high standards asap.

Bobby Robson had the least amount to speand (net) per year than any manager since Keegan first time, I'm not sure how much he (Keegan) had.  Robson must have paid for the transfer budget that he was given many times over as he only had just under £6 million per year yet he took us from 13th in the league gave us a couple of 11th places, then 4th 3rd and 5th.  Using the 2 13th places as a starting point he generated £15,500,000 through higher league places which takes care of more than 50% of what he spent.

The clubs income went up from £45,100,000 during 2000 when Bobby took over to £90,200,000 during his last full season, Bobby paid for what he spent and more.  Bobby was also the manager who took us to our best ever finish in the CL, that season we generated an income of just over £96,000,000, a record to this day.

The signing of Cort looked good when he was fit and scoring, his injuries were the problem.

*looks in thread, notices NE5 and Mick are talking about the old board, leaves*

That's a bit over the top, I've made 4 posts in a 15 page thread.  1 post about Ginola costing less than the Diane offer (if true), 1 about Clough not always getting value for money, 1 about the transfer window and the last about how much Bobby Robson spent and generated.

Edit, I missed a post where I said I knew nothing about Diane but trusted the new setup.

Guest Heneage

You can't compare old transfers as the concept of money and value changes, Super Mac cost under £2M look how good he was. It changes man. But what I personally am saiyng is that even in the modern day of £25M wonder transfers bargains like RSC can be found.

My arguement to NE5 would be right FS spent big money, what did we achieve? Few years in Europe when the core squad was not £20M it was when we started meeting teams values an not negotiating like Luque that it went pear shaped.

You can't compare old transfers as the concept of money and value changes, Super Mac cost under £2M look how good he was. It changes man. But what I personally am saiyng is that even in the modern day of £25M wonder transfers bargains like RSC can be found.

My arguement to NE5 would be right FS spent big money, what did we achieve? Few years in Europe when the core squad was not £20M it was when we started meeting teams values an not negotiating like Luque that it went pear shaped.

I simply can't see how you can say that qualifying for the Champions League wasn't a return on what we spent. You need to spend to get into the Champions League, we did, and we got into it. If we don't spend we wont' get into it again. This is so basic. I just don't get why people won't admit to this. The lengths they will go to do misrepresent and reject the way the old board ran the club and paint it in the worst possible light is quite simply amazing.

For instance, at the current time, pompey are in europe for the first time ever. If they want to sustain it, they will have to spend. And basically, they don't have the support. So they won't. Everton won't break into the top 4 until they spend like their neighbours do. Spurs are having a good crack at it, but whether they manage it we will have to wait and see. Villa might go for it. We might go for it.

The top 4 is not cast in stone, but nobody else has a prayer, in the foreseeable future anyway, however if you don't reach out for it you won't get it. 

NE5, http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=52957.0

You lasted a week. Sunshine, now get the f*** out of this thread, please.

I can criticise the current board if I like sunshine, which is how it is. Now, if you don't want to read it and prefer to pick your favourite players from your view in Sweden or wherever you live, read those threads instead.

You can criticise whoever and whatever you want, but please do it in a thread that's meant for that sort of discussion. I come to this thread to read about the player and developments in the negotiations for that player. I couldn't care less about your views on the boards, and it's a right pain to scroll through five pages of pure nothingness.

Just to stay away from being a hypocrite, if you intend to reply to this post, please do so via PM so we can keep this thread about AMARA DIANE.

I'm criticising the transfer policy of the club so far based on comments, actions and results, including the player who is the subject of this thread. One or two other people that don't have their head in the sand have also expressed reservations and doubts.

It is part of the thread.

And don't you tell me what I can and can't post.

Wouldnt it be a more sensible approach to criticise a policy based on the results of the policy?

Isnt that what a logical person would do?

Surely you arent questioing the boards ambitions based on the fact we lost out on a cople of players?

We should be breaking records in the way Brian Clough did, what would we give to watch players of the calibre of Ian Wallace, Peter (I think) Ward, Justin Fashanu, that's the way I want to see us go.   :lol:

or do it the NUFC way,spend big and go backwards. amn utd and chelsea do it from a position of strength we aren't in. a bit like telling any team just spend as much as you can and the success that brings will pay for it.

errrr when the argument originally began i always brought up woodgate but remember at the time we bought him we hadn't qualified for the qualifying stages of the next seasons champs lge...with all the cash that brings. so after finshing 3rd with woodgate already in the squad but not yet qualified for the group stage proper we strenghten by getting in a free lee bowyer (this when liverpool finished 5th for a uefa cup spot)

we had a good manager and didn't back him when we should have and we could have broke away from liverpool.

Again, completely oblivious. Why did we sell him if he was our best player? Isnt this a policy you're criticising the new board for. Woodgate is a prime example of your own hypocrisies and contradictions.

Again, completely oblivious. Why did we sell him if he was our best player? Isnt this a policy you're criticising the new board for. Woodgate is a prime example of your own hypocrisies and contradictions.

I've not criticised the new owner for selling anybody ? They haven't sold anybody for good fees that I wanted to keep. Learn to read, fred.

Woodgate - at the time - was like Owen 6 months ago, and Emre at the current time, so turning down an offer to cash in on a player who hardly played and looked to have a limited future was a no brainer. Interestingly - or not maybe - the reaction of people like yourself if the club had turned down an opportunity to sell an injury prone player would have been something to see. As usual, you want it both ways. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Was he our best player ? I can't think of me saying that anywhere.

Don't know why I'm answering you fred, sorry like, but I don't.

I've made my point, corrected the newcomer bobbydazzler, didn't mean this thread to go like this, so I'm going to leave this thread now. Lets hope this new fella is better than Ameobi and turns into the new Rob Lee seeing as he's a bargain

I've not criticised the new owner for selling anybody ? They haven't sold anybody for good fees that I wanted to keep. Learn to read, fred.

Woodgate - at the time - was like Owen 6 months ago, and Emre at the current time, so turning down an offer to cash in on a player who hardly played and looked to have a limited future was a no brainer. Interestingly - or not maybe - the reaction of people like yourself if the club had turned down an opportunity to sell an injury prone player would have been something to see. As usual, you want it both ways. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I've made my point, corrected the newcomer bobbydazzler, didn't mean this thread to go like this, so I'm going to leave this thread now. Lets hope this new fella is better than Ameobi and turns into the new Rob Lee seeing as he's a bargain

You've never said that Woodgate was one of the best centre halves you;ve ever seen in a black and white shirt?

Surely you can see the hypocrisy in using the signing of woodgate as a mark of a clubs ambitions but failing to acknowledge that we ended up selling him for the profit - I thought you said a big club didnt need to sell its best players?  you cant have it both ways.

i imaigine with that retort you would have no problems if the club sold Owen now?

You've never said that Woodgate was one of the best centre halves you;ve ever seen in a black and white shirt?

Surely you can see the hypocrisy in using the signing of woodgate as a mark of a clubs ambitions but failing to acknowledge that we ended up selling him for the profit - I thought you said a big club didnt need to sell its best players?  you cant have it both ways.

i imaigine with that retort you would have no problems if the club sold Owen now?

One last post in this thread.

Selling a player for a profit is not desireable, however if the player is injury prone then its an exception. That applies to any player. Newcastle were right to sell Malcolm Macdonald on two counts. One because the manager wanted to, and two, because they knew he would not play until he was 30. He retired at about 28 after 3 years at Arsenal.

Owen too, 6 months ago I would have been happy to sell him because he was injury prone, but now I'm not so sure. I would prefer him to stay, however if the club cut his wages and/or he himself wants to go then there is very little we can do about it and the club would be daft to turn down a good fee.

Fairly much just common sense this mate. Hardly rocket science. The club was right to sell Woodgate under the circumstances such as they appeared at the time.

One last thing, you can hardly excuse a player wanting to go and play for Real Madrid. Even Ronaldo is going to sign for Real Madrid, I don't expect you will say that that makes manure and unambitious club or a selling club would you ?

One last thing, you can hardly excuse a player wanting to go and play for Real Madrid. Even Ronaldo is going to sign for Real Madrid, I don't expect you will say that that makes manure and unambitious club or a selling club would you ?

Depends if you class Madrid as a bigger club than us ;)

don't be silly man  ;D

don't be silly man  ;D

I just wanted to drag one more post out of you ;D

Selling a player for a profit is not desireable, however if the player is injury prone then its an exception. That applies to any player. Newcastle were right to sell Malcolm Macdonald on two counts. One because the manager wanted to, and two, because they knew he would not play until he was 30. He retired at about 28 after 3 years at Arsenal.

Owen too, 6 months ago I would have been happy to sell him because he was injury prone, but now I'm not so sure. I would prefer him to stay, however if the club cut his wages and/or he himself wants to go then there is very little we can do about it and the club would be daft to turn down a good fee.

Fairly much just common sense this mate. Hardly rocket science. The club was right to sell Woodgate under the circumstances such as they appeared at the time.

I'd agree with most of that as I think every player has a price, if Real Madrid were mad enough to offer Man U £60,000,000 as has been mentioned then they would be equally as mad if they turned it down.

It doesn't matter if you like what people think of you or not, with your logic Real Madrid would be ambitious while Man U were not.  You come across that way even if it's not the way you think and I'm not trying to have a go at you.

I'd agree with most of that as I think every player has a price, if Real Madrid were mad enough to offer Man U £60,000,000 as has been mentioned then they would be equally as mad if they turned it down.

It doesn't matter if you like what people think of you or not, with your logic Real Madrid would be ambitious while Man U were not.  You come across that way even if it's not the way you think and I'm not trying to have a go at you.

Every player has a price is a way of putting it, yes.

Ronaldo has played for one of the worlds biggest clubs and now he's going to go and play for another. Can't blame him in the slightest tbh

don't be silly man  ;D

I just wanted to drag one more post out of you ;D

:smitten:

You know what id pretty much agree with that if it was as simple a case as you paint it to be - but this was a decision made soley by Shepherd was for the beneift of the finance not the club as SBR knew nothing about it. Thats where theres a bit of a contradiction in my book, at which point is ambition sacrificed to balance the book?

The currrent board are currently in a situation where they have to both make ambitious and economic moves to help clear up the mess the previous board made. This is why there focus on youth is absolutley the only way to go. If they go for the proven complete player they are simply adding wages on top of a big fee, but if you go for the potential star (Modric) then you have the distinct possiblity of lower wages but future increase in fee all whilst getting a potential superb player. Its the best of both worlds and it makes the most sense to me.

i dont think you'll find to many people disagreeing with you when you say that the board need to spend money - but its how they use there money that is more important and if it includes players with smaller fees who can do a job for the club whilst commanding a low wages id happily take that.