Amara Diane off to Qatar

Willow

the top teams don't just spend on players at their peak, or just buy promising talents, or just buy teenagers for the academy, they do ALL these things. in fact plenty of top sides buy players way before theyve hit their peak, so as to get their best years out of them and train them in the ethos of the club.

Look at Milan going for Kaka and Pato as youngsters, alongside older names. look at barca buying in youngsters or trainig kids from the area with Messi, Dos Santos, Bojan, Fabregas, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol and so on, alongside young talents like etoo, toure, ronaldinho and then some more established names already at their peak (ironically these are perhaps the least successful transfers - likes of henry, thuram, zambrotta). man utd bought ronaldo as a teenager for a 5th of the price he'd go for now, also bought rooney, nani, anderson young, have three teenaged brazilian lads coming this sumer, and almost all their big signings are those under 24 again yet to reach to their peak. they also go after young names and develop players through the academy, to great success as we found out a few years back. as do chelsea who atm have 19 youngsters brought in from outside in the reserves and academy and who employ a bunch of scouts like arnesen to find them.

us going out and buying a young player on the cheap who we can develop ourselves is a great thing and it has to be done. but only as long as it is accompanied with signings from the other categories - though i won't be fussed if we don't buy too many big name players aged 27/28 who are more likely to be on the way down. these days it is not only Wenger who is doing this, though he is perhaps the most lauded example. most clubs who want to achieve something are following similar strategies, Spurs are one example and since theyve changed their transfer policy they've gone from nothing to finishing 5th two years in a row, winning the league cup the next and beating us to transfers.

not saying Diane is one of these youngsters mind, seems to be more like someone to challenge Martins who is the first name on the team sheet in the present squad, as the only forward with pace.

Quoting this post because it's the one with the most sense in the thread :thup:

thats complete bullshit.

if we're buying players with the aim of being better than our reserve "please god dont make us have to play him" players, then we'll go fucking no where. shall we employ the same strategy in midfield, signing players on the basis that they are better than alan smith? thats no way to improve a football club.

i don't care if being average makes him better than shola, we need to sign players who are good enough to compete with our established first team strikers.

otherwise next season we'll be buying players on the premise of them being better than diane (assuming he is a definatively average striker, which he may not be). We sign players based on them being slightly better than our last choice players, and we'll end up with a very average team in not long at all, and to improve, every single one of that average team would have to be replaced, presumably by someone who is  not quite as average as our average last choice players.

signing a player as a squad player never works, if you're thinking long term, we need to sign players to compete with first teamers (not saying diane definately can't, but as i have said i have my doubts).

i don't really agree with this. i think Diane will be a back-up/competition for Martins. Oba is the only player in the squad with pace who can play upfront so we need backup for his role. it is not a priority signing as Martins is a good player so we dont need to go and replace him or spend £10m+ in that position, but we do need to bolster the squad in that position. spending big on this role would be a waste of money akin spending big on the right-back position - we already have a good player there, just need someone who can fulfill a back-up role since carr has left.

I think we'll bring in another striker for bigger money (Gomis perhaps) who'll also have pace giving us Martins Gomis Owen Viduka Diane as our front-line. if by the start of of the season Diane is the only forward bought in, then people will have a point complaining, but doing so now while we're after other players with months to go is crazy.

Guest optimistic nit

i'm not convinced viduka should be mentioned in connection with starting for us again tbh. i think he may have played his last game for us in all honesty, and having martins, owen and diane as our only 3 strikers doesn't fill me with confidence.

if we bring another striker in as well it looks a bit better, although i would be a bit concerned if two of our 4 strikers had made their names in france (i.e. gomis) as premiership defences are much better.

If Diane is brought in, we need to have confidence that, if owen or martins gets an injury, diane can come in and score goals, i'm not 100% confident about this.

If he's signed as a 4th striker, then it would not be too bad, but it would be very bad if owen or martins get  a legnthy injury and we have to rely on him for a few months only to find he can't cut it.

he seems to be very average to me, which isn't really what we wan't even for a 4th choice striker. that said if he does sign and score goals, then it will be a good signing.

he seems to be very average to me, which isn't really what we wan't even for a 4th choice striker. that said if he does sign and score goals, then it will be a good signing.

Why?

i'm not convinced viduka should be mentioned in connection with starting for us again tbh. i think he may have played his last game for us in all honesty, and having martins, owen and diane as our only 3 strikers doesn't fill me with confidence.

if we bring another striker in as well it looks a bit better, although i would be a bit concerned if two of our 4 strikers had made their names in france (i.e. gomis) as premiership defences are much better.

If Diane is brought in, we need to have confidence that, if owen or martins gets an injury, diane can come in and score goals, i'm not 100% confident about this.

If he's signed as a 4th striker, then it would not be too bad, but it would be very bad if owen or martins get  a legnthy injury and we have to rely on him for a few months only to find he can't cut it.

that's a good point about owen or martins getting badly injured. i reckon if that happens we might switch to 4-4-2, or if we're sticking with 4-3-3, i don't think we'd miss Martins that much, as long as this lad is fast and has some similar attributes, i think he'll be fine alongside two other forwards of quality. we might even have to bring in a player to cover for Owen as he seems to be the only player capable of doing the 'withdrawn striker' thing, perhaps we'll see a couple of attackig midfielders who can play in this position. i'd like to see us go for Zarate as i think he'd push Owen very, very close for that role, and might even be better than him, and can also do a job in Martins' position too.

If we're still playing 4-3-3 I don't see why N'Zogbia couldn't go in on the left of a 3 pronged attack in Martins' role, has a great left foot, has pace, could be worth a go before considering another striker like Diane as I don't see any room for him in our midfield or at LB.

I live in reality lad. You are living in the past. either about our 1994 - 2003 "golden era" or the dark days of the 70's and 80's.

you appear to have absolutely no grasp of the here and now.

first hand experience of all these eras lad. Do you ?

Just call it a wider perspective if you don't. That's reality. Sunshine.

I see you don't dispute now that going to a brothel is OK, despite your earlier comments. Nor the european qualifications for the quality players.

Are you out of your depth yet ?

first hand experience of 70's. sadly not I was 2 when the decade closed out.

80's, 90's 00's. yes lad. I was there. deal with it.

brothels. if somone wants to bang a hooker and a hooker wants to make money banging then that's areet with me.

out of my depth. certainly not. I would say I'm probably ankle deep in the tcp filled foot bath you have to walk through before you get to the pool.

given the low strength and poor quality of your arguments I'd suggest you were close to drowning sunshine. just remember not to sell your story to the papers if the helicopter comes to rescue you. the coastgaurds don't like that sort of shit lad.

Guest optimistic nit

Why?

Because he isn't costing £10m presumably

i'm pretty sure i've never judged someone soley on their transfer fee, and i'm not going to start now, so you should probably stop using it as a shite reason to question anybody who doesn't rate Diane highly.

Why?

i'm pretty sure i've never judged someone soley on their transfer fee, and i'm not going to start now, so you should probably stop using it as a shite reason to question anybody who doesn't rate Diane highly.

You watched him a lot then?

Why?

Why have you decided he is average then?

Guest optimistic nit

christ on a bike :lol:

i'm downloading a torrent of marseilles vs psg from last year. i'm just going to check whether he played in the game and if he did then i'll watch it.

christ on a bike :lol:

i'm downloading a torrent of marseilles vs psg from last year. i'm just going to check whether he played in the game and if he did then i'll watch it.

Based on one game then ;)

Which you haven't even watched yet ;) ;)

Man City were pretty s**** at the tail end of the season. I wouldn't want to start splashing the cash like them. They bought some right duds this season.

Petrov was excellent all season, Elano was top quality 1st half of the season the other good players were Dunne, Johnson, Hart and Onhou (Sp?) who were already there.

I'd have Gelson Fernandes.  Great player who we should try and poach if Sven goes.

Guest Heneage

Get Sir Bobby as a scout, hes aways had an eye for a gem, remember he ear marked Ronaldo at PSV.

As for Diane, why not judge a player on his abilities not on his scoring record that you looked up on wikipedia?

The majority NE5 included are going "Oh this player is shit blah blah isn't scoring many isn't costing us much."

You do remember that Mr Fernando 26M Torres had not scored more than 15 at Atletico prior to his transfer, Liverpool are alot better than PSG Torres abilities were suited to the premiership, just ike Diane could, hey man Santa Cruz cost £3.5m and he was like top 3 scorer .

i think SBR is not well enough to do a demanding job with loads of travel, such as a scout. we should have moved him upstairs as a director of football when we still had the chance, so he could set up the kind of global scouting and youth system he helped establish at barca that yielded the likes of messi and dos santos. wouldve also helped us identify a new manager so we wouldnt end up with shite like souness or roeder or allardyce.

Get Sir Bobby as a scout, hes aways had an eye for a gem, remember he ear marked Ronaldo at PSV.

As for Diane, why not judge a player on his abilities not on his scoring record that you looked up on wikipedia?

The majority NE5 included are going "Oh this player is s*** blah blah isn't scoring many isn't costing us much."

You do remember that Mr Fernando 26M Torres had not scored more than 15 at Atletico prior to his transfer, Liverpool are alot better than PSG Torres abilities were suited to the premiership, just ike Diane could, hey man Santa Cruz cost £3.5m and he was like top 3 scorer .

And Viana....and Bramble....and O'Brien....and Ambrose....

I'll comment on this transfer window when it's closed, not after our first signing and it doesn't matter if we splash £30,000,000 or £30 on our first player.

If we spend £30,000,000 on our first signing you'll make a comment. Even if it's just

FUCKING HELL!!

:)

I'll start you off with Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Speed, Dyer, Bellamy, Ferguson, Robert, Albert, Hamman, Batty, Woodgate, and finish off with the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us, because of these signings ?

Unless of course you think we should have bought players such as Chopra, kilbane, Arca, Lawrence - or Heard, Reilly, Pingel, Bogie, Gourlay, Robertson, Stimson, Dillon......... great days, all bargain buys the lot of them.

Quite amazing that any Newcastle supporter is unhappy with signing a top footballer like Michael Owen, they must have been over the moon when we bought Rob McDonald.

You need to wise up lad, you're living in cloud cuckoo land, although I'm not surprised that - just like the example of pompey - you're using the old tried and trusted example of Leeds to suggest that everybody who spends a lot of money ends up like Leeds

Funny that one  bluelaugh.gif

Ginola  bluelaugh.gif £2,500,000 transfer fee.   :lol:

Or Hamman who fucked off to a supposedly smaller club than us after one season

tell us why ?

Also explain why Liverpool are perceived as "bigger" and why you don't seem to want to follow how they do it ?

I'll start you off with Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Speed, Dyer, Bellamy, Ferguson, Robert, Albert, Hamman, Batty, Woodgate, and finish off with the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us, because of these signings ?

Unless of course you think we should have bought players such as Chopra, kilbane, Arca, Lawrence - or Heard, Reilly, Pingel, Bogie, Gourlay, Robertson, Stimson, Dillon......... great days, all bargain buys the lot of them.

Quite amazing that any Newcastle supporter is unhappy with signing a top footballer like Michael Owen, they must have been over the moon when we bought Rob McDonald.

You need to wise up lad, you're living in cloud cuckoo land, although I'm not surprised that - just like the example of pompey - you're using the old tried and trusted example of Leeds to suggest that everybody who spends a lot of money ends up like Leeds

Ginola  bluelaugh.gif £2,500,000 transfer fee.  :lol:

Or Hamman who f***ed off to a supposedly smaller club than us after one season

tell us why ?

Also explain why Liverpool are perceived as "bigger" and why you don't seem to want to follow how they do it ?

we shouldn't be following them as we were ahead of them and refused to build when the time was right....you already know this.

What I'm saying is that the new board has to at least match the ambition of the old board.

Let's hope we don't match the "ambition" of Shepherd when he failed to provide any transfer cash at all the summer before a crucial CL qualifier and the point where, after all of Sir Bobby's good work, we just might have established ourselves as one of the Big  Four.

Ambition?  mackems.gif

you mean Bobby Robsons good work, supported by Shepherd [you forgot the Halls again Ozzie lad] .......

hope your not criticising for this "overspending" now , having criticised for not releasing cash that wasn't there. Apart from a small amount like 9m for Woodgate though ........

Still, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion after all this time now

Thanks for demonstrating that you are laughably short of answers for that particular point. Shepherd's biggest fuck-up, our last shot at the CL places before the drawbridge was pulled up, and you are the prize hypocrite who ineptly glosses over it while bleating about "ambition".

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously?

mackems.gif

mackem WUM attempting to gain some credibility

Ginola  bluelaugh.gif £2,500,000 transfer fee.   :lol:

tell us why ?

we shouldn't be following them as we were ahead of them and refused to build when the time was right....you already know this.

Thats pretty much it.  Why do you think it was NE5?

I live in reality lad. You are living in the past. either about our 1994 - 2003 "golden era" or the dark days of the 70's and 80's.

you appear to have absolutely no grasp of the here and now.

first hand experience of all these eras lad. Do you ?

Just call it a wider perspective if you don't. That's reality. Sunshine.

I see you don't dispute now that going to a brothel is OK, despite your earlier comments. Nor the european qualifications for the quality players.

Are you out of your depth yet ?

first hand experience of 70's. sadly not I was 2 when the decade closed out.

80's, 90's 00's. yes lad. I was there. deal with it.

brothels. if somone wants to bang a hooker and a hooker wants to make money banging then that's areet with me.

out of my depth. certainly not. I would say I'm probably ankle deep in the tcp filled foot bath you have to walk through before you get to the pool.

given the low strength and poor quality of your arguments I'd suggest you were close to drowning sunshine. just remember not to sell your story to the papers if the helicopter comes to rescue you. the coastgaurds don't like that sort of shit lad.

Deal with it ? Deal with what  mackems.gif mackems.gif

You're out of your depth and talking rubbish son, and you know it which is why you've not attempted to continue.

We should be breaking records in the way Brian Clough did, what would we give to watch players of the calibre of Ian Wallace, Peter (I think) Ward, Justin Fashanu, that's the way I want to see us go.   :lol:

You have to spend big, like Man United, Chelsea etc do

and play each other in the European Cup Final. Well done.

Easy when you try. Still, I'm sure you know best.