The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Heneage

Everton are the other team linked, we can really offer more money than them.

But does no one agree that we've had ages to identify the problems and get targets.

Will be gutted if he comes to England and it's not us. I know it's unlikely he'll come here, I just don't want him at any other English club, especially not a team who will challenge us.

Spurs had very advanced talks about signing Arshavin in January but his wage demands were too much and it all fizzled out.  There has been no mention on the Spurs boards of Arshavin joining Spurs in this window so I'm not really expecting him to wind up at WHL.

we were also linked n january but dont know if kk was or big sam would be suprised if we didnt at least try or him

Will be gutted if he comes to England and it's not us. I know it's unlikely he'll come here, I just don't want him at any other English club, especially not a team who will challenge us.

Spurs had very advanced talks about signing Arshavin in January but his wage demands were too much and it all fizzled out.  There has been no mention on the Spurs boards of Arshavin joining Spurs in this window so I'm not really expecting him to wind up at WHL.

Do you hover around these board, your heart beating in anticipation, just so you can pounce in and have an ITK jizzfest at anything that's even tangentialy related to Spurs?  :rolleyes:

Hmm, that goes against everything else which has been said. Arshavin rejected ANY move in january saying that he wanted to stay until summer. Unless you mean you were in talks in January about signing him in summer?

Everton are the other team linked, we can really offer more money than them.

But does no one agree that we've had ages to identify the problems and get targets.

Don't think Keegan has had much time, what with trying to save the club from relegation.

To be honest, I think that assuming we could beat the likes of Everton to anyone is thekind of arrogance that will lead to splattenned faces and kneejerk disappointment.

Hmm, that goes against everything else which has been said. Arshavin rejected ANY move in january saying that he wanted to stay until summer. Unless you mean you were in talks in January about signing him in summer?

This is what I said Last October ..................

FWIW Spurs are close to agreeing a deal for Russian captain Andrei Arshavin.  Comolli flies to Russia tomorrow to finalise details.  Don't know how their transfer window impacts on ours, the Russian season ends in a months time (11th November) and their window is then open.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48098.msg1160591#msg1160591

Arshavin's agent wanted more than we could afford and it fizzled out.  Maybe no club would meet his wage demands so he declared his intention to stay until the summer?  Maybe, I don't know.

This is what I said Last October ..................

FWIW Spurs are close to agreeing a deal for Russian captain Andrei Arshavin.  Comolli flies to Russia tomorrow to finalise details.  Don't know how their transfer window impacts on ours, the Russian season ends in a months time (11th November) and their window is then open.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48098.msg1160591#msg1160591

Arshavin's agent wanted more than we could afford and it fizzled out.  Maybe no club would meet his wage demands so he declared his intention to stay until the summer?  Maybe, I don't know.

Why don't you know? You know every small detail of every other deal in the world.

From the Telegraph:

Everton have also been linked with Zenit St Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin, but the club will have to move quickly if they are serious about signing the Russian, as Manchester City have already offered £12 million for the player.

I miss Андрей Сергеевич Аршавин!

Aye, why was the title changed? Nice with a bit of Russian to mix things up.

cos no-one on here knows the hebrew translation

Saw this in the MEN earlier:

Russian striker's City link

Mike Whalley

22/ 5/2008

ANDREI Arshavin will consider a move to City - once Sven-Goran Eriksson's future is decided.

The Russian international, who helped Zenit St Petersburg win the UEFA Cup at Eastlands last week, is on the market for £12m.

Arshavin set up both goals as Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to clinch their first European trophy.

He had set his heart on a move to Barcelona but has now been forced to accept that they are unlikely to make a bid.

And his hopes of putting himself in the shop window at Euro 2008 next month have been hit by the fact that he is suspended for Russia's first two matches.

But Zenit boss Dick Advocaat still expects the 26-year-old to leave Russia, with City and Everton the favourites should he decide to move to England.

Sources in Russia have also touted CSKA Moscow's Brazilian striker Jo for a summer move to Eastlands.

But the Blues' moves in the transfer market are on hold while Eriksson's fate is decided.

The Swede is set to discover whether owner Thaksin Shinawatra will sack him after a year in charge.

Even Athole Still, who is the manager's agent, has confessed to being in the dark about Thaksin's intentions.

Eriksson has refused to answer questions about his future during City's two-match tour of the Far East.

Pride

But he insists that, whatever his fate, he will be able to look back with pride on a season which saw the Blues finish ninth in the top flight and qualify for the UEFA Cup via the Fair Play League.

Ahead of today's friendly against a South China Invitational XI in Hong Kong, Eriksson said: "I think Manchester City as a club - the players, the coaches, everybody - we had a good year, a very good year.

"The start of the season was fantastic, maybe too good to be true. Second half, we were not as good. But overall, I think it was a very good year."

Luiz Felipe Scolari continues to be linked with the City job, despite stating two weeks ago that he wanted to stay in Portugal.

Scolari, who will lead Portugal at Euro 2008, is understood to be reluctant to uproot his family and move to England.

Eriksson has enjoyed pretty much unanimous support from his fellow managers as the speculation regarding his future has raged on.

The latest to leap to his defence is Claudio Ranieri, who was Thaksin's original choice for the City job when Stuart Pearce was sacked last summer.

The former Chelsea boss, who knocked back City to join Juventus, said: "I think, given another two years, Sven would get the team in the first four. "

City will return to the UK straight after today's match at the Hong Kong Stadium.

THAKSIN has promised to donate City's match fee of £40,000 to the emergency fund for victims of last week's earthquake in Sichuan, China.

Source: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1050740_russian_strikers_city_link

Guest BigAl2

Arshavin = Quality - if people don't think that now wait until after the European Championships.

This is exactly the type of player we should be trying to sign and quite frankly if we are not interested then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Arshavin = Quality - if people don't think that now wait until after the European Championships.

This is exactly the type of player we should be trying to sign and quite frankly if we are not interested then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Completely agree. Looks like the answer...

• 3 weeks later...

Uh-oh. Ultimatum time.

Zenit official Konstantin Sarsania said: "Andrei wants to try playing in one of the leading European leagues, but if he doesn't leave us by June 20 he'll stay in the team."