The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BigAl2

Is 27 ancient now!?

Just coming into his prime, anyway I can see him ending up at the likes of Arsenal because they play his type of football.

That Gomis for France looked a right plank when he came on last night.

What I find funny is all these players linked, we have bid £10mill for Gomis, £6mill for Rangers keeper, £11mill for Arshavin and KK is not even in the Country, so its iether KK has no say in who we buy or all these links are utter bollocks.

Some may say KK will have left a list of who he wanted before he went on holiday, but come on be real, most of the players that sign for any club want to meet and talk to the manager they will want convincing that they will be a big part of the managers plans and will get 1st team football. The rest of the stuff IE wages and contract stuff is not down to the manager to sort but the chairman.

Yes its annoying to see other clubs sign players whilst we do nothing as KK is away on holiday but I am sure we will be making progress as soon as he is back, we just need to stop believing every story in the press.

KK did do a list so this isn't too far fetched, I'm sure he's also got a mobile phone.

What I find funny is all these players linked, we have bid £10mill for Gomis, £6mill for Rangers keeper, £11mill for Arshavin and KK is not even in the Country, so its iether KK has no say in who we buy or all these links are utter bollocks.

Some may say KK will have left a list of who he wanted before he went on holiday, but come on be real, most of the players that sign for any club want to meet and talk to the manager they will want convincing that they will be a big part of the managers plans and will get 1st team football. The rest of the stuff IE wages and contract stuff is not down to the manager to sort but the chairman.

Yes its annoying to see other clubs sign players whilst we do nothing as KK is away on holiday but I am sure we will be making progress as soon as he is back, we just need to stop believing every story in the press.

didnt keegan com back last week?

£11 million for a 27 year old.. seems unlikely.

How old is Woodgate? Genuine question btw.

Edit - just checked and he was 28 in January and went for £8m.

Only £3m more for a (relatively) injury free Arshavin.

Obviously I don't know for definate, I just get the impression that £11 million might be seen as too large an investment in a 27 year old, who knows, the transfer just seems unlikely to me.

Is 27 ancient now!?

Just coming into his prime, anyway I can see him ending up at the likes of Arsenal because they play his type of football.

No it isn't ancient, I'm not talking about the player being too old to play.  I just mean that it seems Newcastle don't want to spend big on players over a certain age.  It might not be true but it seems likely that they want to buy players who can do well for the club but also keep there value over the term of there contract incase the club decide to sell.  Buy a 24 year old for £11 million and if he does reasonably well at the club you can sell for significantly more if you decide to sell in a few years.  With a 27 year old a few years takes hm into his 30's and that usually means a big drop in value.

Is 27 ancient now!?

No it isn't ancient, I'm not talking about the player being too old to play.  I just mean that it seems Newcastle don't want to spend big on players over a certain age.  It might not be true but it seems likely that they want to buy players who can do well for the club but also keep there value over the term of there contract incase the club decide to sell.  Buy a 24 year old for £11 million and if he does reasonably well at the club you can sell for significantly more if you decide to sell in a few years.  With a 27 year old a few years takes hm into his 30's and that usually means a big drop in value.

I understand exactly what you're saying.

I would think though if KK really wanted him, he'd push to make it happen.

Thing is, if Arshavin could propel us say 3 places up the league for the next two seasons there's £3m in finishing money straight away before we consider the financial incentives of europe etc.

He's the kind of player that I think would always have some residual value in his home country purely because he's been that good and played there for a while, similar to Emre in that respect.

Hopefully those kind of ideas are taken into account and its not just a case of 'if he's over this age limit we won't pay over this amount'.

I'm sure they are. If you look at most of the top performing sides over the last few years, they've had a policy of mixing youth with experience.

Is 27 ancient now!?

I understand exactly what you're saying.

I would think though if KK really wanted him, he'd push to make it happen.

Thing is, if Arshavin could propel us say 3 places up the league for the next two seasons there's £3m in finishing money straight away before we consider the financial incentives of europe etc.

He's the kind of player that I think would always have some residual value in his home country purely because he's been that good and played there for a while, similar to Emre in that respect.

Aye, a very good point that a lot of people are overlooking (including perhaps the board, but hopefully not.)

While Teasy's initial suggestion could be bang-on, we need to take into account success and stuff as well when it comes to deciding on players. You have to hope that if top class players become available and if there's a chance to sign them, within reason on the age stuff, then we have to be in for them.

I'm sure Ashley realises this, like, as even if he is basing us on Spurs they don't just sign young players who will increase in value.

Hopefully those kind of ideas are taken into account and its not just a case of 'if he's over this age limit we won't pay over this amount'.

I'm sure they are. If you look at most of the top performing sides over the last few years, they've had a policy of mixing youth with experience.

Oh I've got no doubt they'll be looking for experienced players as well.  I just question how much they're prepared to spend on those kind of players.

and a forward to go with it.

Well worth a punt. As for 11m quid, for a quality footballer, its peanuts. Should suit our owner down to the ground.

Would absolutely love it if we could sign Arshavin and Turan, they would improve us massively and give us plenty of options in the middle, as they are both versatile. A midfield three of Arshavin, Turan and Butt (or preferably a new better player, but I'm not going to be greedy) with Owen, Martins and a new targetman in front of them and things would look very, very good.

Well worth a punt. As for 11m quid, for a quality footballer, its peanuts. Should suit our owner down to the ground.

Because our old owners often paid more than £11m for........ ah forget it! :lol:

Because our old owners often paid more than £11m for........ ah forget it! :lol:

;D

Would absolutely love it if we could sign Arshavin and Turan, they would improve us massively and give us plenty of options in the middle, as they are both versatile. A midfield three of Arshavin, Turan and Butt (or preferably a new better player, but I'm not going to be greedy) with Owen, Martins and a new targetman in front of them and things would look very, very good.

don't.  Just don't.

Didn't KK said he'd make sure the first time it looks like we're signing someone, would be at his press conference?

But we haven't even signed anyone yet man! Its like 2 weeks until the transfer window opens and those lazy, penny pinching twats haven't completed our transfer dealings yet!!!!111!!!

they paid more than that 12 years ago mate.

11m is cheap for a quality player. Settle for 2nd best, and these "bargains" if you like. I'm telling you, it won't succeed and they won't match the old board without spending big money just like the old board.

PS. Changed your username ?