Mario Gomez

bodson

I'd still snap their hands off if we were offered him, it's not the first time a player has looked complete shit in a tournament. What matters is what he does week-in week-out at club level.

Apart from if they're playing for their country.

exactly, some players just never click in big tournaments / internationals but play well, week in/ week out and score goals ...

robbie fowler ... andy cole ... john barnes ... sir les ... ian wright

Stephane Gu'varch

I think Gomez shows glimpses of what he's capable of(those that have seen him in Stuttgart knows what he can do against good oppostition), and he offers more to the team than someone Gomis seems to do even if he doesn't score. None of them has had any luck so far in this tournament, but Gomez has been successful on international level before this tournament.

Look at Henry etc. in the 2002 WC. France didn't score at all, he turned out OK in the next few seasons.

At the end of the day - we want a happy balance of our targets showing enough glimpses of excellence to justify their signing but nothing too much which is gonna attract too much interest from other clubs - if we've done our scouting properly we'll already know who our priority signings are and we shouldnt be relying on an international tournament to confirm our interest.

At the moment im happy for Gomis and Gomez to be underperforming, it can only bode well for us. I cant see a big club needing a spend money on a plyer who doesnt do it on the big stage when they can get the real deal at all levels. 

exactly, some players just never click in big tournaments / internationals but play well, week in/ week out and score goals ...

Lampard

Lampard

The whole England team.

at least his value will have gone down after the tournament

oh no it wont you know....it just won't have gone up ridiculously as it would had he had a good tournament.

People say this but if you continuously have stinkers in a tournament then surely your value decreases. It's not like he plays in a top league either...

Guest Alan Shearer 9

oh no it wont you know....it just won't have gone up ridiculously as it would had he had a good tournament.

... Oh yes it will!

i forgot about guiv'arch, gullit didn't like him much and shipped him out after about 4 games or so?

is he our only word cup winner? i remember him signing before france '98

4 games? I thought it was 1 appearance and one goal before he was sent packing?

People say this but if you continuously have stinkers in a tournament then surely your value decreases. It's not like he plays in a top league either...

continually ? he's just about reached double figures in internationals. his value will be at least what it was pre-euro2008

Having said that, he was having a £25m asking price being bandied around him - no way in a million years has he justified that price tag, i think its fair to say that so far, he hasnt added to his value, if anything he's lost some.

More caps = greater asking price.

not really. more a point or "regular starter for major international team".

we'd never prove it but if he moved from stuttgart before euro 2008 i'd guess his price would be the sameish after a poor championships

More caps = greater asking price.

not really. more a point or "regular starter for major international team".

we'd never prove it but if he moved from stuttgart before euro 2008 i'd guess his price would be the sameish after a poor championships

I agree with you. By 'more caps' I mean 'more regular fixture in a national team', not just one or two here and there.

Lampard

had a very good euro 2004.

back to the point.  Gomez looking pretty awful in 3 international games doesn't make him a poor player. he might just not be ready for a different level with different challenges yet. it may put a couple of the bigger clubs outside germany off him if it continues to the next rounds, as it would raise doubts about his adaptability to different styles of football, and his temprament on the big stage. i think it shows that talk of him being 'better than us' is a bit rich, too.