The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thought the Dutch looked excellent last night. They seem to have a nice blend about them and in VDV and Sneijder they've got that bit of sparkle where it matters. If they beat Romania, and I think they will, they'll win the group and also beat the runners up of Group D.

Going back to the talk of colours they both played in, I take it is because of old regional conflicts. Obviously Holland had King William of Orange (King Billy to the Norn Iron members) and I believe Blue was the colour of the house of Savioa in Italy, who ruled Italy back in the 1800's.

Going back to the talk of colours they both played in, I take it is because of old regional conflicts. Obviously Holland had King William of Orange (King Billy to the Norn Iron members) and I believe Blue was the colour of the house of Savioa in Italy, who ruled Italy back in the 1800's.

.....is the correct answer. Both teams take their colours not from their national flags, but from the colours of their respective royal families. (In Italy's case, no longer ruling, of course)

Xavi isn't better than Fabregas i'm sorry.

Xavi is an excellent player no doubt but Fabregas plays a larger role for his club than Xavi does. Fabregas is the epicentre of Arsenal's play.

But Fabregas has look knackered for awhile now.. Arsene plays him in every match he's fit for except the League Cup.. i remember thinking that he's running on empty when Arsenal faced L'Pool in the Quarter finals. I don't think he misssed a single game after that either. If they beat Russia without him, i'd consider not playing him until the final group game.

Guest optimistic nit

OK. Sense wins out, I suppose. Having said that, attackers have too much advantage in regards to offside anyway. Might be good to give the defenders a chance to upset the applecart. I'd like to see a FK where all the defending team sprint off the pitch!

i don't think the attackers have too much advantage tbh.

great first 30 minutes. great pace by torres for that goal, russia hit the bar, some good football overall. russia playing a bit better than i expected, but villa and torres are just eating up russia's back line with their pace.

Guest optimistic nit

been a very good match.

the only thing that seems to be sepearting russia and spain is a bit of techincial skill and more confidence from spain. russia have looked a very capable team, much more inventive than france were yesterday, but they don't seem to believe that they can beat spain, but their certainly showing some ability.

torres was good before the move, but hes on a different level now. you can see the confidence in him. having proven himself as probably the best true striker in england, he has to be thinking that if he he can do it there at the premier league pace and with that level of physicalness, he can certainly handle someone like the russians or anyone else. that's why i think there's some truth to the general consensus that this year will be different for spain due to the premier league players-they won't be flustered by a team with higher pace or more physical nature.

Strange decision by Hiddink to play Zhirkov as left back and leave Ignasevich and the Berezutsky brothers out of the team. If there was any team in this group he should have gone for a more defensive line-up against, it would be Spain.

Sweden starting with 36 -year old Henrik Larsson and 37 -year old Alexandersson against Greece today. Harsh on Elmander and Seb Larsson. Källström is on the bench to..People over here are furious.

At last a game I have some interest in at the Euros. and it sounds like it's going well so far. Why do I have this nagging doubt, though that something will appen once again to prevent Spain winning an international tournement. Honestly with both Spanish and English blood in my veins, I couldn't have picked two more underachiving nations to follow.

At last a game I have some interest in at the Euros. and it sounds like it's going well so far. Why do I have this nagging doubt, though that something will appen once again to prevent Spain winning an international tournement. Honestly with both Spanish and English blood in my veins, I couldn't have picked two more underachiving nations to follow.

Holland have probably had better players than both teams and have never won the world cup.

Holland have probably had better players than both teams and have never won the world cup.

Won the Euros in 88 though, must count for something.

Spain looking good but Russia's defence has been awful, they're leaving their CB's isolated against Torres and Villa too much, asking for trouble.

Russians lack any sort of spark going forward as well, you have to figure Arshavin is a big loss.

Awesome, dodgy defence but Midfield and forward line of spain is class. The really strange thing is I played a game of pes this morning and used the exact same team/lineup as spain vs russia, won 3-0 Villa hat-trick. The annoying thing is I had villa in my fantasy football, but that was before they restarted it :(

Can we have Villa please, at any price, he is worth it...

Been saying this for ages, far better than Torres. Would cost at least £25 million more likely £30 mill.

Not necessarily as a team however, I think the dutch have had some outstading individuals but they've also had some fillers in there too. while as England and Spain have had much more depth too their squads, which is unstandable considering the population of each nation. The Dutch have also won the Euros before and twice been in World cup finals. Spain, have won nowt, while England have won one world cup on home soil, with just 2 semi final appereances in major tournements. For two nations with such a footbal culture, those records are quite frankly pathetic.

Can we have Villa please, at any price, he is worth it...

Been saying this for ages, far better than Torres. Would cost at least £25 million more likely £30 mill.

Worth every penny.

:D we have no chance like but not so long ago we may have been able to lure a player like him here, oh what went wrong.

:(