The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

Neither Holland/Spain or Portugal will win it.

can't see how you can say that like.

I think any of spain, holand, portugal and germany will win it. spain or germany at a push.

if russia wern't almost certain to play holland in the quatre's then spain in the semi's i'd have given them a chance of making the final as well.

Iniesta was off it today, had a stomache bug though, usually far better. Good work for the fourth as well.

People love torres and Villa, however Xavi is top class his passing is insane.

I think any of spain, holand, portugal and germany will win it. spain or germany at a push.

if russia wern't almost certain to play holland in the quatre's then spain in the semi's i'd have given them a chance of making the final as well.

agreed. pretty much has to be one of those 4. i don't want to read too much into results from one game, but who else is really capable? italy is so old, and they are in dire straits already, but you can't count them out yet. france looks awful and old also. greece? the czechs who were outplayed by the swiss? croatia, who didn't deserve a win against austria? turkey is a mess. romania could pull a greece '04, but they will have a hard time getting out of the group. no one else really left.

Football is gay like that...

Honestly that's the only reason I say it..

I'm sure after this result we'll get the so called "experts" saying Spain will win the whole thing. But something will go wrong, peaked too soon, bad refreeing, the oppostition gets lucky or something else. Bloody hell, I think I'm more pessimistic about Spain than I am about NUFC.

I'm sure after this result we'll get the so called "experts" saying Spain will win the whole thing. But something will go wrong, peaked too soon, bad refreeing, the oppostition gets lucky or something else. Bloody hell, I think I'm more pessimistic about Spain than I am about NUFC.

World class bottlers.

Guest optimistic nit

Fucking Russia let me down.

did you bet against them like?

i was very tempted at half time and before the game to put a tenner on 3-1 spain, so fabregas' goals made me feel a lot better :lol:

if they play like this every game i think they will stop holland playing, should both teams meet in the semi's and it will be a germany spain final. but then as parky and afar said, they do let themselves down so often.

i was very tempted at half time and before the game to put a tenner on 3-1 spain, so fabregas' goals made me feel a lot better :lol:

if they play like this every game i think they will stop holland playing, should both teams meet in the semi's and it will be a germany spain final.

Nah, running a prediction league with my mates and had them down for a draw. Thought Spain would bottle it and Russia would really go out all guns blazing. Spain played very well, but really disappointed with the Ruskies.

if they play like this every game i think they will stop holland playing, should both teams meet in the semi's and it will be a germany spain final.

Nah, running a prediction league with my mates and had them down for a draw. Thought Spain would bottle it and Russia would really go out all guns blazing. Spain played very well, but really disappointed with the Ruskies.

Tbf to the Russians it is still a learning process for them at this level.

Spain were magnificent going forward. Ramos was shocking in defence! Very Bramblesque performance from him and Marchena.

Xavi and Silva were immense, as were Torres and Villa.

Russia were tidy and inventive in spells, but inexperience let them down. Off that team i'd have Akinfeev, Pavlyuchenko (over Crouch any day), and the full-back Aniukov. Shame Arshavin and Pogrebnyak weren't available, as it wouldn't have been this easy for the Spanish.

Spain were magnificent going forward. Ramos was shocking in defence! Very Bramblesque performance from him and Marchena.

Xavi and Silva were immense, as were Torres and Villa.

Russia were tidy and inventive in spells, but inexperience let them down. Off that team i'd have Akinfeev, Pavlyuchenko (over Crouch any day), and the full-back Aniukov. Shame Arshavin and Pogrebnyak weren't available, as it wouldn't have been this easy for the Spanish.

Capdevilla was the one who looked the most dodgy. The only thing about the Spanish is they like to piss about with it far too long in midfield, against a good team they won't be allowed to do that and the front two will get isolated imo. The Russians were terrible at the back, so disorganised.

Very Bramblesque performance from him and Marchena.

Bramble would be buzzing if he read that.

'Cos am sure he's a regular reader of these message boards in search of confidence and reassurance.

Spain were class going forward. Don't look quite as complete as Holland though.

Townsend basically suggesting the linesman and referee should have ignored the rules on that Holland goal.

Absolute bullshit.

The ITV clowns do my head in. They sounded almost disgusted at RVN for not bundling over in the box last night. What are we trying to cut out of the game again?

Townsend basically suggesting the linesman and referee should have ignored the rules on that Holland goal.

Absolute bullshit.

So did Strachan et al before the Spain game.

They were talking bullshit too then. I missed most of the first half of the Spain match.

Whatever you say about ITV/BBC commentary, be thankful you don't have to endure the horror that is Ray Houghton.

It's incredible, he's the most negative commentator I've ever heard in my life. You'd swear the guy was better than Maradona when he played with the criticism he levels at absolutely fucking everybody.

Our pundits are immense though.

Dunphy on the Russian mentality earlier on

"There's sort of a melancholy about the Russian psyche, a willingness to be beaten. Much like the Welsh..."

Whatever you say about ITV/BBC commentary, be thankful you don't have to endure the horror that is Ray Houghton.

It's incredible, he's the most negative commentator I've ever heard in my life. You'd swear the guy was better than Maradona when he played with the criticism he levels at absolutely fucking everybody.

Our pundits are immense though.

Dunphy on the Russian mentality earlier on

"There's sort of a melancholy about the Russian psyche, a willingness to be beaten. Much like the Welsh..."

Sounds like watching a match with my dad. Basically finds it incomprehensible that anyone ever does anything wrong on a football pitch. Can't understand why anyone should ever be offside, why anyone ever misplaces a pass, why anyone shoots off-target.