The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tuncay turned in one of the worst performances I've seen for a while.

did really well for Boro after the initial first few months of adjusting.

but he always looks incredibly raw to me, like an 18 year old kid needing to work on his technique and tactical awareness.

My Smog mate really doesn't rate him at all. He's scored a few good/important goals for them but he never has above about a 7/10 when I've seen him. Just goes to show how far overrated some players can be when they come from lesser footballing countries (but then we already knew that).

Thought Kazim, Aurelio, Altintop, Servet and yes, Emre stood out for Turkey today. Tuncay played like he was in a Boro shirt.

Well done to Portugal though, controlled the game throughout.

I thought Emre was pretty shit. He just doesn't do enough for me at all, looks like he has no hunger or drive whatsoever.

Neat and tidy on the ball and... that's his entire contribution. I think he had one forward run and one shot.

but he always looks incredibly raw to me, like an 18 year old kid needing to work on his technique and tactical awareness.

My Smog mate really doesn't rate him at all. He's scored a few good/important goals for them but he never has above about a 7/10 when I've seen him. Just goes to show how far overrated some players can be when they come from lesser footballing countries (but then we already knew that).

indeed. the turks seemed to think he was on par with maradona before he moved to england.

Emre was piss poor. Like 1878 says, really offered nowt in either an attacking or defensive sense. When he's on his game running at people, he's put in some tremendous performances for us - however those number about half a dozen.

Like from England you mean..?

No.

No.

Oh, sorry. Could have fooled me seeing as one country has qualified and the other hasn't..

No.

Oh, sorry. Could have fooled me seeing as one country has qualified and the other hasn't..

:lol:

No.

I'm quite clearly talking about the quality of the league. Unless you think the Turkish league is as strong as the Premiership?

Or Holland. Number of strikers that have been lauded over there and then turned out to be s***...

I'd be interested in knowing who..? Can't have been Van Nistelrooij, Kluivert, Bergkamp, Robben, Van Persie, Babel, Kuyt, Hasselbaink and the likes.

Usual problem with Emre. He fancies himself as a playmaker, dropping deep and feeding passes forward. Trouble is, he ends up playing alongside the defensive midfielder instead of getting forward. He looks good, but the team would benefit more from someone getting into the box from that position.

No.

I'm quite clearly talking about the quality of the league. Unless you think the Turkish league is as strong as the Premiership?

That's fair enough then. So by footballing country you mean the league, including foreign players..? In that case Holland (and Turkey as well) is a shit footballing country, you're right, but I think that defintion is very debatable..

Anyway. Let's have this debate another time, ffs.

Didn't think Portugal looked quite as good as the ITV commetary team made out, really.

Yeah, i agree with that. In spite of all their 'attacking greatness', they didn't really do much. ??? They hit the woodwork a few times but they seriously lack a spearhead at the top of their force. The Ronaldos and Simaos have got nowt to aim for. Nuno Gomes got in once following a fortuitous slip from the defender, which isn't really worth counting, but other than that - one header? :dontknow:

They'll never win this competition without a good out and out striker. [/neck-on-line]

Thanks for including Kluivert, Babel and Kuyt to help us bum you in the face with our argument. :thup:

Kluivert has a career before he came to Newcastle you know..? Babel has had as good a first season as could be expected from a youngster moving to a new league and adjusting his game and Kuyt is a regular in one of the top 4 and one off the most loved players at his clubs wherever he goes. I predict you will bring up his goalscoring record in the Premiership, but he has so many more strings to his bow.

No.

That's fair enough then. So by footballing country you mean the league, including foreign players..? In that case Holland (and Turkey as well) is a shit footballing country, you're right, but I think that defintion is very debatable..

Semantics tbh. I probably could have phrased it better.